Detail Shop The place to talk about the daily care of your Crossfire and share the products you use to care for your Crossfire

Industrial Fallout / Rail Dust

Old 06-16-2004, 10:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Industrial Fallout / Rail Dust

I took delivery of my Alabaster coupe about 3 weeks ago. The first thing I noticed after I did my own wash job were these little rust colored specs which would not come off. I talked to the dealership and they said that is called Rail Dust or Industrial Fallout and it is common on white cars. Has anyone else seen this? Is there a good solution for removal which won't harm the paint?

Old 06-16-2004, 10:55 PM

:shock: I don't have an Alabaster XF, but unless everyone else says they have heard of this before - I say that sounds like a lot of BS :!:

I would demand a new paint job or for it to be fixed "like new" :roll:

Old 06-16-2004, 11:06 PM
Forum Regular

It is the stuff from the the train wheels rubbing against the track. It is total BS and they should be able to remove it. It will get worse if left there. I bet the dealer waxed right over it. They should fix it. You could remove all the wax with blue dawn and clay bar it off...

I bet the guy a zaino knows how to remove it but your dealer should do it for you as the condition happens after it leaves the factory.

-marc

Old 06-16-2004, 11:08 PM
Forum Regular

hah!

http://www.zainobros.com/files/application.htm

Zaino Z-18 ClayBar was designed to remove airborne contaminants, paint overspray, water spots, rail dust, industrial fallout, diesel fuel & catalytic converter residue and any other bonded surface contaminants from paint.
-marc

Old 06-16-2004, 11:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not BS... when I lived in Pittsburgh back in the early 90's I had a white car that sat outside all the time. Had the same problem with coffee colored specks and small rings much like water spots... acid rain, industrial fallout crap etc. Never could get them out, but then I never took a clay bar to it.

Old 06-16-2004, 11:49 PM

But isn't it BS to have a brand new car delivered to you that way???

Old 06-17-2004, 12:05 AM
Forum Regular

Am I the only one that has wondered if the Zaino clay bar is just the hard modling clay at the hobbie store (not play-doh but the sculpture clay)?

It sure would save us some bucks...

-marc

Old 06-17-2004, 08:39 AM

It's back at the dealer now. I counted at least two dozen spots. I even found two under the spoiler! The service manager said they have had that before and they would need the car for at least a day to try to remove them. I've only had the car 3 weeks and while in my possession it's either been in my garage or under a car cover at my office. So those marks were definitely there before I bought. Unfortunately under the bright Florida sun they were hard to see when I purchased the car. I'll let you know how it looks when I pick it up today.

Old 06-17-2004, 09:31 AM

I had it on my Alabaster beauty and I used Mother's Clay Bar. It got it all off and the car's been gorgeous ever since.

Old 06-17-2004, 10:15 AM
Forum Regular

Don't forget to check the wheels also. That is the only place I found any on mine. I first thought it was rust, and then it occurred to me that aluminum shouldn't be rusty. It came off with a little scrubbing.

Old 06-17-2004, 02:42 PM

it is rust...the metallics in the "industrial fallout" land on your car and rust, causing the discolorations. i have lots of experiance with this...i am an engineer at a iron foundry. because my baby is my daily driver, i'll be claybarring every year, or else the finish will start to feel like sandpaper!

Old 06-17-2004, 04:05 PM

Picked her up at the dealership this afternoon. They spent the day getting the marks off with clay. They did a great job, but I think I will buy a bar of clay for myself just in case I find any spots they missed. Thanks everyone for the info. Now if I can just convince the dealer to fix my wind noise for the 3rd time :roll:

Old 06-17-2004, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by VegasCrossfire
In the context stated above... you are 100% correct. I took your original statement to mean they were putting one over on bluepony.

Old 06-18-2004, 02:22 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: Industrial Fallout / Rail Dust

Originally Posted by bluepony
I took delivery of my Alabaster coupe about 3 weeks ago. The first thing I noticed after I did my own wash job were these little rust colored specs which would not come off. I talked to the dealership and they said that is called Rail Dust or Industrial Fallout and it is common on white cars. Has anyone else seen this? Is there a good solution for removal which won't harm the paint?
you need to "clay" the cars finish to remove these spots as others have mentioned above (clay magic is the best)...but they will return over time. i clay my car once every 6 months then wax. these spots are on all cars but most visible on light colored cars.

Old 06-18-2004, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by AZ Outlaws
In the context stated above... you are 100% correct. I took your original statement to mean they were putting one over on bluepony.
You were right the first time. I did think they were putting one over on bluepony because I have never heard of it before. It kind of sounded like "Yeagh - that's the ticket - it happens on all white cars.... "

So .. do we have that out here???? :roll:

Old 06-18-2004, 03:41 PM

You were right the first time. I did think they were putting one over on bluepony because I have never heard of it before. It kind of sounded like "Yeagh - that's the ticket - it happens on all white cars.... " So .. do we have that out here???? :roll:
It usually occurs in industrial parts of the country. It has been my experience a lot of it had to do with acid rain from industrial fallout etc and parking outdoors all the time. Not a problem out here in our arid part of the world.

Old 06-18-2004, 10:05 PM
Banned

Not on the left coast ,they're delivered by boat not rail.Only truck dust and smog after that,oh and lousey dealer prep!

Old 07-22-2004, 11:47 AM

I had the exact same thing happen to me and yes, they called it rail dust. Still looked like rust to me. But the good news is, it was very easy to get off. The shop had some kind of solvent which took it off immedietely. It is far more noticeable on white cars...I have a white Crossfire, too.