Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

air filter question

Old 07-19-2008, 05:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air filter question

Has anyone that is using K&N air filters ever had a problem oiling up the mass air sensor, causing need for replacement. A Chevy mechanic friend of mine said he has made a bunch of money removing them from Vetts. Any thoughts.
Thanks

Old 07-19-2008, 06:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: air filter question

Hmmmm, very interesting question !
I don't see what K&N filters would have to do with gumming up the MAS
I could possibly see it if you soaked the filter with oil before install. Done properly as per instructions on cleaning and re-oiling, I just don't buy it.
I've run K&N's on my 01 Harley, 94 Dodge Ram and now my 04 XFire for years with no ill effects.

Just my Dos Centavos !

Old 08-05-2008, 02:07 PM

I just bought a aftermarket air intake system from e-bay. After two days of having the intake system on two days the Crossfire began to lose low end power and the idle was inconsistent. I took the car in to the dealership and they stated that the mass air sensor had to be replaced. I had K&N air replacement filter on before that. I don't know what caused the mass air sensor to go out but it sounds like a similar issue. Have you heard of anybody else having problems with an aftermarket air intake system. I really want to put it back on but im afraid that the problem will persist. I miss the extra sound and horse power!

Old 08-05-2008, 04:49 PM

Yes, I have read threads in the past that will point out, if the filter is oiled incorrectly, it will whack the MAF.
From what I've read, carefully re-oiling the filter is paramount. On the plus side, cleaning the MAF is possible, it doesn't necessarily have to be replaced; well, as long as you catch it early enough.
There are some threads on various Benz forums that also mention the same issues.
I have K&N's in the Coupe & of course, a K&N with the Needswings. No problems whatsoever & I have re-oiled the Coupes. Just don't slobber the oil on & you should be OK!