Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

HP help please

Old 11-03-2008, 09:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HP help please

Hi everyone, I have a 2006 n/a crossfire. I would like to star modding it, engine wise wihout blowing everything off...( meaning still reliable ) I heard about tvt tunes and stuff like that, I don't have lots of knowledge on modding cars and a little help would be appreciated. Can the tvt ecu be installed at home? i live in canada and there are not a lot of ecu programmers for my car. Any other things that could help me gain a bit more hp? I bought the magnaflow exhaust and starting to make myself a custom air intake to the front of the grill.

Thanks

Old 11-03-2008, 09:57 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: HP help please

Talk to TVT about their TVT250 kit. That gives you what you need. Yes the ECU tune is just a plug in. You pull your ECU and send it in, it gets re-programmed and sent back to you and you plug it back in. VERY simple.

www.tvtdesigns.com
www.needswings.com
www.letmotorsports.com

MikeR

Old 11-03-2008, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by MikeR
Talk to TVT about their TVT250 kit. That gives you what you need. Yes the ECU tune is just a plug in. You pull your ECU and send it in, it gets re-programmed and sent back to you and you plug it back in. VERY simple.

www.tvtdesigns.com
www.needswings.com
www.letmotorsports.com

MikeR
Nice! sounds good to me, do youknow the approx hp gains it will give me? also, do you know the approx price ?

thanks!

Old 11-03-2008, 02:21 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Try looking at the site.
Oh by the way it's
http://www.tvtdesign.com/
not
http://www.tvtdesigns.com/ (no "s")

Old 11-03-2008, 03:07 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm waiting for the new LET tune to come out before jumping on the tvt kit.

Old 11-03-2008, 04:38 PM
Life is random...so am I.

Not sure how your homegrown CAI will work.

I guarantee the NeedsWings CAI to take 4-5 tenths off your quarter mile times.

The Magnaflow cat-back (16633) really didn't help much.....you gain a touch of top-end, and lose a little bottom-end. The sound is awesome though!

Old 11-03-2008, 09:57 PM

thanks for the help everyone! i was also planning on making myself headers(i'm a welder) is that a good idea with the tvt ecu? could it cause any problems? is it worth investing time to put on headers? are there any cams or other mod not too complicated to put on this car?

thanks!

Old 11-04-2008, 03:05 AM
Life is random...so am I.

Originally Posted by davidjacob
thanks for the help everyone! i was also planning on making myself headers(i'm a welder) is that a good idea with the tvt ecu? could it cause any problems? is it worth investing time to put on headers? are there any cams or other mod not too complicated to put on this car?

thanks!
Many of the people that do chip tuning can also do a custom tune.

Basically, dyno your car (or use a datalogger for a while) and they can optimize your ECU based on the data they receive.

As far as headers....here's a link to someone who already makes / made them on the mbworld forums. http://www.mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=241439 They want $1200.00 for a set though. If you make a reasonably priced set that actually show HP gains, you may be able to sell a few sets here and make a few bucks!

Old 11-04-2008, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by davidjacob

thanks!
This is a great Forum. The willingness to offer all this information has really helped me learn about my Crossfire, which is new to me. When reading this thread regarding headers I felt I really should comment. I worked for Ford for many years and during that time I was lucky enough to attend an engine building seminar hosted by a pair of NASCAR engine builders. Granted this doesn't make me a certified engine builder but I did retain a few things from that seminar. The general rule regarding intakes is the smaller you can make the induction system components without reducing horsepower, the better the car will perform. ( velocity is the key word ) With headers the diameter and length of the tubes directly affect performance. Long tubes boost low end torque and short tubes boost top end performance. The trick is to find the right happy medium for a particular engine. The whole idea is to scavenge the exhaust in a manner that will enhace that velocity of the intake. Go too far with the intake and headers and you'll reduce power. Finding this happy medium requires experiance and the benefit of things like a flow bench to measure flow through the heads. To simply weld up some good looking headers without experiance with a particular engine makes the odds of getting it right pretty slim.

My 2 cents,
Bruce

Old 11-05-2008, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by delornut
This is a great Forum. The willingness to offer all this information has really helped me learn about my Crossfire, which is new to me. When reading this thread regarding headers I felt I really should comment. I worked for Ford for many years and during that time I was lucky enough to attend an engine building seminar hosted by a pair of NASCAR engine builders. Granted this doesn't make me a certified engine builder but I did retain a few things from that seminar. The general rule regarding intakes is the smaller you can make the induction system components without reducing horsepower, the better the car will perform. ( velocity is the key word ) With headers the diameter and length of the tubes directly affect performance. Long tubes boost low end torque and short tubes boost top end performance. The trick is to find the right happy medium for a particular engine. The whole idea is to scavenge the exhaust in a manner that will enhace that velocity of the intake. Go too far with the intake and headers and you'll reduce power. Finding this happy medium requires experiance and the benefit of things like a flow bench to measure flow through the heads. To simply weld up some good looking headers without experiance with a particular engine makes the odds of getting it right pretty slim.

My 2 cents,
Bruce
YEah but might as well give it a try, its not an expensive thing to do and i'll see what results it gives.

Old 11-30-2008, 09:58 PM

Question: How difficult is it to install the upgraded fuel injectors as part of the TVT 250 kit? I have experience with all of the other parts, but not injectors other than thinking about the pressurization issues. Any experience and feedback would be appreciated.

I just bought my second Crossfire N/A..04 autostick....blue...sold my 04 white six-speed to go back to school, but vowed the crossfire would reside in the garage again....love the car as expected and find the autostick seems to work pretty well vs. the notchy 6-speed.

Anyone have any thoughts on reprogramming the auto trans to clean up the hesitations between upshifting and kick down...seems a bit lazy in the name of reducing drivetrain shock, but I am hoping for crisper response.

Thanks!