Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

serpentine belt and small leak

Old 10-25-2010, 05:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy serpentine belt and small leak

Forgive me if this has been asked before but it just happened to me. I was driving just a short distance and suddenly by batt. light came on the dash and I lost power steering.
When I looked under the hood I had small amounts of oil coming out of the oil filter cap area, and the belt was completely thrown off.
Car still drove, it was fine , just no power steering and the batt light stays on.
What is my problem, why,and where can i find a diagram of the serpentine belt, to re-install?
I was told it could be an oil filter seal failure and when oil leaks onto the belt, it will throw it off, a new oil filter and seals fixes it. Is this true?
Has this happened to anyone else? My car is an 2007, sunday only driver, 11,000 miles.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Mark

Old 10-25-2010, 05:33 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: serpentine belt and small leak

Yes, your diagnosis is correct. If the oil filter is not tightened to spec, or if the "O" rings are not positioned properly, oil will leak, which is what caused your serpentine belt to come off.

If you are going to put the same serpentine belt back on, be sure to get all of the oil off of it first, and hope that the oil has not penetrated the belt. A belt flying off can cause some serious damage. You may want to get a new one.

As far as the serpentine belt diagram, do you have an SRT or NA?

This is the diagram for the SRT:

Last edited by bmorgan; 10-25-2010 at 05:38 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:39 PM

Thanks for your answer. I have just the standard coupe, 6 spd, 235 h.p.

Old 10-25-2010, 05:43 PM

Here is the diagram for your car:

Old 10-25-2010, 05:48 PM

You can download the service manual from here to get step by step instructions on the installation of the belt:

http://www.majormotorshotrods.com/_d...ice_Manual.pdf

Old 10-25-2010, 05:55 PM

Hey listen, I really appreciate your help. I am a computer idiot, and even a worse mechanic, but if I can ever help with maybe some legal advise or anything regarding to the law in kentucky, please don't hesitate.

Thanks again, very much.

Mark

Old 10-25-2010, 05:59 PM

No problem Mark. Welcome to the forum. There are a great bunch of guys n gals here that are always glad to help. You will be surprised at what you can learn here, or just find funny and amusing.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:26 AM
Received 431 Likes on 369 Posts

MWiles, first let me welcome you to the forum! As bmorgan indicates, this forum is an invaluable tool to help you with our unique special car. May I ask if recently you had the oil changed? Or did you change it yourself? The leak your having may be one of two things. Closely inspect your oil filter cap (the large black cap between the oil fill cap and the radiator). If there is a crack on it, you need to get it replaced. The second source will be the large 'O' ring located inside the lip of this oil filter cap. It should be located in the second slot (the first slot being right at that lip of the cap). Too many position this 'O' ring in that top slot, and the ring does not fit/seal properly. It is supposed to go into the second slot so the entire ring compresses properly. Depending on how long ago the oil was changed, that 'O' ring may not have its original form or shape. If its malformed or nicked you should replace it (make sure the retaining slot is clear of any debris). Finally, when you check this or change your oil, put a little oil on the 'O' ring, that keeps it from binding or sticking on stuff its not supposed to. Its designed to slip inside the oil filter housing with that cap lip firmly (but not too tightly, its a soft material) seated at that housing. Please let us know the results, it will take care of your leak/belt slipping off problem. You should fix this asap, bmorgan is correct about the potential for real bad things breaking from that belt flying off at any speed.

Old 10-26-2010, 06:19 PM

Thanks for your interest. The whole thing strikes me as odd because I had my oil changed back in april at a pennzoil quick change , I trust and use often, they let me watch. I don't change my car oil cause it sets so low to the ground, and I don't want it on a lift, this place has a dug out under ground.
Anyway as I mentioned earlier this car is only a sunday driver...............But shortly after the oil change I drove it to Florida, Gatlinburg Tn. a few times, me and my girlfriend have zipped it around for sunday lunches, 2-3,000 miles since the oil change.
So, I haven't driven it for about a month, I just took it down the road mainly to charge the battery, and BAM, all this.
Just seems to me odd, kinda out of know where? Just glad it wasn't on a trip.
I am gonna change the oil, again, new filter ,0 rings, have the belt put back on, and hope for the best?

Any other suggestions?

M

Old 10-26-2010, 06:24 PM

Also on a side note, the belt that slipped off is the original one ( 11,000 miles ) , it is still in perfect shape, no cracks, nicks, it appears new, any reason I should not re-use it?

M

Old 10-26-2010, 07:15 PM

Only if the oil has penetrated the belt. If the oil has penetrated the belt, the centrifugal force of the belt spinning could cause oil to get on the pulleys again causing the belt to slip off. But if the oil has not penetrated the belt, you should be fine.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:55 PM

Thanks for all the tips........really appreciated.

M

Old 10-31-2010, 07:49 PM

new oil filter and o-rings, belt back on.

all well

thanks for the in put

M

Old 10-31-2010, 08:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same thing happen to me about a year ago. I took my car in for the oil to be changed and they did not seat the oil filter correctly. Oil everywhere and it was a mess. I'm glad that you were able to get yours cleaned up and running.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:12 PM
Received 431 Likes on 369 Posts

MWiles, share a little more will you? Was the top 'O' ring in the wrong groove, was the 'O' ring nicked/cut, was the cap loose? Did you purchase a new belt or use the old one? Sure could help others to know why it did what it did. Thanks!

Old 11-12-2010, 10:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry late to this thread but one more tip for you. The oil filter cap that screws in is pretty long and there are O-rings that get replaced all the way down. The very last one which is the smallest is re-used on the oil dipstick for a nice tight seal. Also it's very easy to change the oil on these cars. About 15-20 min and can guarantee no leaks when you do it yourself. One more thing. Take a marker like silver in color and mark your oil filter cap on the cap and metal area in same line. Then when the shop changes your oil you will know if they tightened it down enough by comparing the marks if they don't line up.