Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Real Crossfire Headers - These ain't no stinkin' log style manifolds!!!

Old 09-28-2011, 11:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Real Crossfire Headers - These ain't no stinkin' log style manifolds!!!

We've been looking for a way to carve our niche with the Crossfire crowd and after discussing what aftermarket is available for this car and what is not, something we noticed that was missing were real headers. Not a fancy log style manifold that simply mimics the inefficiencies of the factory ones but something that would offer real performance benefits for both the N/As and SRTs alike. We are gauging interest on this and need two things to get the ball rolling. First, we need to see how many people are legitimately interested in these based off a $100 deposit group buy. Retail will be $1299 and if we collect 10 or more deposits, work will commence with a $1049 group buy sale price. If we get to 20 or more, the group buy sale price will be $999. After we determine the number of those interested, we will need a local owner with a minimally modified N/A for design, fitment and testing. Later on, we will need a minimally modified SRT6 so we can test and document it's gains as well. These will be made so they are completely compatible with both factory and aftermarket exhaust on the N/As and SRTs.

Now for what everyone wants to know; How much power will they make? We are confident we will see somewhere in the neighborhood of 15-20rwhp gains with the N/As and 20-30rwhp on the SRTs. The factory exhaust manifolds are very restrictive. It's design was dictated on keeping manufacturing costs low and production high. Log style manifolds follow in the same footsteps. Real headers allow the motor to breath much easier because instead of just cramming all the exhaust into a log and hoping for the best, it merges the slugs of exhaust one behind the next and as such, reduces back-pressure and increases power.

Those that would like more information, feel free to email or call us at the shop. Rudy's email address is rudy@speedriven.com or he can be contacted via phone at 952-681-1000.

And for your viewing pleasure...

Old 09-28-2011, 11:51 AM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Real Crossfire Headers - These ain't no stinkin' log style manifolds!!!

I am interested in the group buy......I do not live close enough to be a test vehicle unfortunately.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:02 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Real Crossfire Headers - These ain't no stinkin' log style manifolds!!!

Also interested in the group buy but would like to see how testing and dyno go. Also not close enough to have them tested on my N/A. 1800 miles away is just a bit much for me.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:03 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Absolutely interested, and these things are beauties.

If the projected gains are consistent with the observed gains, these should sell like hotcakes. You might market these to the crowd at MB-World as well, since there are tons of W203 and R170 cars using the M112.

When would you guys need the deposit?

I could make a weekend trip for testing, but I do have some minor mods, all listed below in my signature.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:16 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JHM2K
Absolutely interested, and these things are beauties.

If the projected gains are consistent with the observed gains, these should sell like hotcakes. You might market these to the crowd at MB-World as well, since there are tons of W203 and R170 cars using the M112.

When would you guys need the deposit?

I could make a weekend trip for testing, but I do have some minor mods, all listed below in my signature.
they are great looking aren't they. I am really almost willing to get them just for looks.

and good idea with the MB-world, we might be able to get way over 20 with them (who knows maybe it will drop costs some.)

Old 09-28-2011, 12:26 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

A question about the headers -- should the runners be equal-length? Or does it really matter on a shorty header?

Frank -- Definitely some lookers. I'm imagining these with some nice red valve covers done up by Needswings... YUM.

I'm excited about this development. And the company is extremely reputable on MB-World... top-notch folks.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:42 PM

While equal length would be the perfect setup, the car just doesn't have the space needed. Deposits will begin to be collected shortly and we will have more updates as we progress.

Also, these will fit the Crossfire and the R170 SLK but they will NOT fit the W203 C-Class.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds great. I would like more info and if the gains can be verified sign me up. All I can say is "it's about time". Would these headers need a ecu tune after?

Old 09-28-2011, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by JHM2K
...And the company is extremely reputable on MB-World... top-notch folks.

Extremely reputable here as well, just as Beaner or Jim how they like their cars.

Interested to see how things pans out...

Old 09-28-2011, 01:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Will be watching closely, and would like to see the documented gains before ponying up.

How difficult would install be?

Old 09-28-2011, 02:19 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: Real Crossfire Headers - These ain't no stinkin' log style manifolds!!!

Are the headers steel or stainless, and if steel, are they coated or chrome coating. Do you have to pull the motor to get them installed? Thank you, Woody

Old 09-28-2011, 02:25 PM

I am defiantly interested, but before committing I'll need to see some documented number gains as well.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by waldig
Do you have to pull the motor to get them installed? Thank you, Woody

Question of the hour...this could make a big difference for all the DIY'ers on the forum.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:35 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Pulling the motor is no biggie as I have had mine out 3 times......not a show stopper.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:37 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

It looks like you already have a few sets ready for testing. Guys, with the Needswings downpipes opened and stock manifolds I saw a gain of 20 hp. Make a set for me, I'm in.

Les

Old 09-28-2011, 02:43 PM

Yes yes yes. In.

Old 09-28-2011, 03:01 PM

After having work done at Speedriven and getting to know the guys and see the shop and their work, I am a believer. I am in for sure. It would be helpful to have an installation estimate. Speedriven, my car is running soooo good and absolutly no check engine lights. Thanks again.

Old 09-28-2011, 03:36 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

A few questions, what size are the primary pipes? Are we going to need some kind of protection for the spark plug wires? Does the engine have to be lifted? I'll think of some more in a while. ETA on a completion date?

Les

Old 09-28-2011, 04:01 PM
Forum Regular

Looks awesome but i'd have to worry about install costs as well...

Old 09-28-2011, 04:06 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by velociabstract
A few questions, what size are the primary pipes? Are we going to need some kind of protection for the spark plug wires? Does the engine have to be lifted? I'll think of some more in a while. ETA on a completion date?

Les
I was also wondering about any additional protection we may need.

Quick Reply: Real Crossfire Headers - These ain't no stinkin' log style manifolds!!!