Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

DMF Flywheel and clutch inquiry

Old 12-01-2011, 11:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DMF Flywheel and clutch inquiry

Occasional odd clutch symptoms have me pondering a future clutch/flywheel install on my 06 base (6spd)
The actual symptoms point to a failing DM flywheel. (vibration at low speeds, jerking when on/off the throttle)
The sensation is very odd almost like there is play in the driveline for a split second when coasting in gear then hard on throttle, there is a hesitation and then you feel the clutch grab, but the clutch itself never slips, not even at a hard launch.
This coupled with the various base/limited power adder posts and talk of clutch upgrades bring up a few questions/concerns I have.

Has anyone replaced their clutch with anything other than OEM?
Has anyone replaced their flywheel with anything other than OEM?
Was the aftermarket clutch designed to work with the dual mass flywheel? (I seem to recall 2 different versions of the flywheel existing, as it was redesigned in 05)

Common clutch discs are sprung to limit vibration, this is not the case for dual mass applications, the clutch disc is solid due to the flywheel containing the "dampener".

Most importantly the DMF are tuned to specific torque ratings, which has me hesitating on engine mods.

Ideally I would like to eliminate the DM flywheel altogether IMHO its a very poor design and serves no purpose in a small sports car. I'm not opposed to a bit of added vibration and gear noise. In my other daily driver I replaced the 17lb SMF with a 7lb aluminum unit (and solid motor mounts) and the additional vibrations were easy too look past with the added engine response (It was an amazing difference)

The added vibration (in the engine) worries me as I've read stories of split crankshafts caused by replacing with a single mass. This is likely due to the engine assembly not being balanced for the SMF especially if you go aluminum/lightened.

The general trend among other car forums I've visited is common DMF failure when modding. . Ironically there are kits available for certain Mercedes that replace with a SMF, but I couldn't locate one for the M112.

In summary I'm just looking for opinions on this especially if you've replaced your clutch and or flywheel.

Last edited by JeffS; 12-01-2011 at 11:11 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:35 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: DMF Flywheel and clutch inquiry

I have no real answer to your question, but I am very interested in hearing what others have to say.

Many of us in line for the turbo are considering upgrading to the SPEC Stage 2+ clutch, and if these aren't going to jive well with the DMF, we need to know.