CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/engine-exhaust-transmission-differential/)
-   -   New Hampshire 6-speed 500 (5.0) Underway!! (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/engine-exhaust-transmission-differential/68408-new-hampshire-6-speed-500-5-0-underway.html)

sk8erjosh09 07-21-2014 01:11 PM

Re: New Hampshire 6-speed 500 (5.0) Underway!!

Originally Posted by vauxhallmaniac (Post 804595)
Well done Josh i'll be Auto but I assume the CRUISE is sorted for both transmissions???? :D:D:D

Thanks! But we're not quite their yet. We will know more tonight :cool:.

I wont be able to test cruise until a later date (StevE55's car) but it is a pretty safe assumption that if the ECU I built starts my manual that cruise will indeed work as well.

vauxhallmaniac 07-31-2014 06:18 PM

Hi Josh any updates on the conversion????????:D

sk8erjosh09 08-04-2014 04:44 PM

It's going, it's just going slowly.

I'm almost done with the engine work, everything else is ready. I finally jumped from contractor to civil service and that took a full week off of the project and all of my weekday nights after work.

Been running into issues like crazy with the motor but I want everything perfect for Korey and he'd rather me take my time and do it right then mess about, so it will be done soon, but I'm not rushing any part of this. I really hoped the first would go smooth but there's a million reasons it's taking longer than expected. I told Korey last night I expect two more weekends. I'm rebuilding the intake manifold right now.

vauxhallmaniac 08-04-2014 05:32 PM

Cheers for the update.......Thought you'd gone on the missing list Josh:(......even checked your swap shop facebook for news....Post us some pics when you get time.....would be interested in some of where you graft the looms together :D:D....... all the best Simon

sk8erjosh09 08-04-2014 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by vauxhallmaniac (Post 806769)
Cheers for the update.......Thought you'd gone on the missing list Josh:(......even checked your swap shop facebook for news....Post us some pics when you get time.....would be interested in some of where you graft the looms together :D:D....... all the best Simon

No worries, everything's been hectic so updates were on the slow side. The pace will get picked back up again soon. So far on the weekends I've managed to put in full days. One of the biggest issues is keeping my personal cost into it reasonable. As it stands my profit is very small right now from this first one.

When I'm done with the wiring you wont even notice what I did ;)

sk8erjosh09 08-18-2014 03:51 PM

Saturday I got the motor back together. What a PITA!!!! I pray I never have to strip a motor apart again without modifying with aftermarket internals.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...91961705_n.jpg

Saturday night I got all the vacuum lines and wiring disconnected.

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/...82280015_n.jpg

Sunday I didn't have the whole day like I wanted but I got all but 4 of the bell housing bolts and the alternator power.

https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/...7d&oe=547F24D1

ImportLabSRT 08-18-2014 06:31 PM

Good work Josh! Wish we were closer, I could help you with R&R. I have stripped a few of these engines now down to a bare block and back up.

sk8erjosh09 08-18-2014 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by ImportLabSRT (Post 808746)
Good work Josh! Wish we were closer, I could help you with R&R. I have stripped a few of these engines now down to a bare block and back up.

Thanks Bryan! That was my first time stripping a Benz motor down and it was a serious PITA. Just annoying that certain bolts don't fit without certain parts taken off. So it was put this on, to put this in, to take the first thing back off because I forgot the a bolt needed to go in first for something else entirely lol.

At least at this point it's all down hill and where I should've been a month ago. Had the motor came how it is now I would've been done weeks ago. It took me 2 hours to drain the coolant and get all but the 4 upper 4 bell housing bolts out for the motor to be pulled. Easy work.

At least all of the fab is done too, except for the exhaust manifolds which my welder will knock out the day I get them out. Other than that, I may have to exchange the flywheel for a buddies to get the right one but I'm just happy and relieved that the rest is easy simple stuff.

Oh, and wiring, but that'll go real quick.

csteve0355 08-18-2014 08:39 PM

Let me know as well when you are heading up as I am right here in Londonderry, NH

Originally Posted by a7x6kse6 (Post 803291)
Well I actually live in Virginia at the moment. My parents live in Londonderry, NH, and I do make trips up there every few months. I will need to go up for an inspection soon as well. I will let you know when I plan to make a trip and see if we can work out a time to meet up.

a7x6kse6 08-18-2014 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by csteve0355 (Post 808763)
Let me know as well when you are heading up as I am right here in Londonderry, NH

Really? That's awesome! I will definatly let you know as well. How long have you had your Crossfire in Londonderry? I don't remember seeing another one ever lol.

Edit:
Wait you aren't right down the street from St. Marks Church are you? I do remember seeing one on my way home from work usually, but I think it was a roadster if I remember correctly.

vauxhallmaniac 08-19-2014 04:19 AM

Thanks for the progress report Josh...............I hope those " slippers " in the background of picture 1 are Workshop Approved Steel Toe Cap Issue.............:D:D:D

Indelibility 08-19-2014 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by sk8erjosh09 (Post 808750)
...Other than that, I may have to exchange the flywheel for a buddies to get the right one but I'm just happy and relieved that the rest is easy simple stuff.

Oh, and wiring, but that'll go real quick.

Haha, flywheel follies. Oh how I can relate.

csteve0355 08-19-2014 09:13 AM

I've had the red sled now for 2 years. No I'm not down by the church. There is 3 roadsters in town yellow, red, gold, and 2 coupes blue, and red.

Originally Posted by a7x6kse6 (Post 808772)
Really? That's awesome! I will definatly let you know as well. How long have you had your Crossfire in Londonderry? I don't remember seeing another one ever lol.

Edit:
Wait you aren't right down the street from St. Marks Church are you? I do remember seeing one on my way home from work usually, but I think it was a roadster if I remember correctly.

a7x6kse6 08-19-2014 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by csteve0355 (Post 808815)
I've had the red sled now for 2 years. No I'm not down by the church. There is 3 roadsters in town yellow, red, gold, and 2 coupes blue, and red.

Wow, I had no idea there were so many in our town. I thought mine was the only one until I saw the red roadster down the street from my parents house lol.

If the other guys in town are interested maybe we can have a meet up when I come up for the inspection. Right now I probably won't have the car back until September and I am actually flying up this weekend to do this nascar driving experience with my dad, so I'm guessing I will be driving up early to mid October.

sk8erjosh09 08-19-2014 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by vauxhallmaniac (Post 808794)
Thanks for the progress report Josh...............I hope those " slippers " in the background of picture 1 are Workshop Approved Steel Toe Cap Issue.............:D:D:D

No prob.

And of course!!! Only certified apparel in my garage!! :rolleyes::p

Originally Posted by Indelibility (Post 808796)
Haha, flywheel follies. Oh how I can relate.

Lmao yeahh. It works out though, Jim over in PA needs the newer style like the one you got, and I'll probably need the older, so we're just going to trade.

sk8erjosh09 09-04-2014 01:18 PM

It's done and running. Pics later.

Only three issues :)

First, I drove to my buddies work to show him and when I walked out with him there was a lake of coolant... I never tightened the hose clamp on the lower radiator hose :insertfacepalm

Second, lake of oil... The aftermarket lower pan I bought had these dips around the edge and I didn't load one with enough RTV. It's good now lol.

Third........... and the one that's going to piss me off the most........... There's a tick, and it's loud. My first two guesses were valvetrain or exhaust. So I tightened up the manifolds which were already crazy tight, and nothing. So last night I took apart the valvetrain and everything looked fine. Pretty dang good actually. I found a few things I needed to sort of provide some TLC for but nothing crazy, so I carefully and correctly re-installed the rocker assembly and the valve cover.

Since I was at a loss, I decided again to try and listen with a screwdriver to my ear over everything. The only thing that popped out was injector 8 was ticking at the same rate as the loud tick... Good and bad. Good, because it's easy to check and fix. Bad, because it means cylinder 8 is running lean. In a little while when I go home I'll run the test to see if it's the problem or not.

Overall for other people interested, looking at the full date from when I got the car to now, remember that I had A LOT of motor work to do. A full time job. A wife. Kids.... I went from a put together V8 on my engine stand to a running V8 in the car in less than 24 hours... By myself. With wiring. With a broken index finger because I dropped the motor on it.

I was out of my area of comfortability with the motor work since I'd never torn one down that far. That being said, next time I'm going to take the 20 days and just send it back lol.

Bob_Ham 09-04-2014 01:45 PM

Awesome! Congrats on the successful build, and bad news about the finger!

sk8erjosh09 09-04-2014 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Bob_Ham (Post 810803)
Awesome! Congrats on the successful build, and bad news about the finger!

Thanks! And yeah, this was 2 days ago and it's still twice the size of my thumb lol.

BoilerUpXFire 09-04-2014 02:18 PM

Nice work Josh, keep us posted.

Mine is getting a full repaint at the moment, have to make it pretty if it is ever going to get a few more cylinders...

sk8erjosh09 09-04-2014 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire (Post 810810)
Nice work Josh, keep us posted.

Mine is getting a full repaint at the moment, have to make it pretty if it is ever going to get a few more cylinders...

Yours is already flippin beautiful! lol

I'm pretty sure I found the problem.

Went home at lunch, popped hood, started his car, watched how rough it was closely at idle, pulled the clip for injector 8........ no change in tick, and it only got a little bit rougher. Pulled 7, and it got noticeably rougher, same with 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1..

Which means injector 8 is malfunctioning but it is somewhat working, you can hear it and the cars power is there.

Since the harness is damn near brand new (thanks Jim!), and I'm confident in my wiring, I pulled the ECU. Examined what I needed to, hush hush stuff :p, and sure enough I found my issue. A while back I was trying to source certain components I needed. Well, Jim and I ended up finding a certain one I wanted for pretty damn cheap. Well come to find out, it was cheap because it only came with one lol. I never had the need to use it until I built this ECU and I never bothered to check if it actually worked to the spec OEM did because it had the same part number and I figured it was fine. I opened the board up and looked at it, tested it and sure enough it was wayyyyyyyy off where I wanted to see. So I replaced it with OEM and as soon as I get home later I'm going to give it a try.

I will keep ya'll posted. We're almost there.