Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Electric cutouts vs. downpipes

Old 10-31-2015, 04:59 PM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Electric cutouts vs. downpipes

Good evening and Happy Halloween folks!

So i've been tossing this idea around in my head for a while and I wanted to get some other people's input.

Currently my exhaust system is stock with the exception of a custom axle-back setup using a Megan Racing M-RS muffler. I've been debating making a few additional changes to it consisting of NeedsWings catless downpipes & a resonator delete. However, those two things alone will put me in the ballpark of around $1,000. While i'm not entirely opposed to spending some $$$ on a quality exhaust setup, i've also been considering alternative options - specifically QTP electric cutouts. I should note that i'm not building my for serious power or anything like that. I currently have a Needswings single CAI & Eurocharged Performance ECU/TCU tunes. The engine is otherwise stock. Anywho, back to the cutouts. QTP sells a variety of cutout options for different size exhaust piping and then even offer "low profile" cutouts specifically for low cars such as mine. I know of a few reputable exhaust shops in my area that I am pretty close with that could install cutouts for me at a relatively cheap price. A pair of low profile electric cutouts run $383.xx and an in-car controller runs an additional $78.xx putting it @ $461.xx total. And the great thing about these particular cutouts is that you can run them at different settings - open, half-way open and closed - so it wouldn't neccesarily even have to be an "all or nothing" situation as I could run them halfway open on the street, or close them all the way on the longer trips to avoid drone. Anywho I was just looking for some feedback on what people thought of going this route versus spending nearly twice the amount of $$$ to get the downpipes/delete the reasonator. My axle-back is merely for looks, but i'd like a nicer exhaust note and I wouldn't mind picking up a small amount of hp/tq along the way.

QTP's website

https://www.quicktimeperformance.com/QTEC/

And a few places where you can purchase the low profile cutouts

QTP QTEC66 Oval Low Profile Electric Exhaust Cutouts Dual Pair

Quick Time DUAL Low Profile Oval Electric Exhaust Cutout - PFYC.com

Cheers!

Old 10-31-2015, 11:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Electric cutouts vs. downpipes

Originally Posted by HOT FIYA
Good evening and Happy Halloween folks!

So i've been tossing this idea around in my head for a while and I wanted to get some other people's input.

Currently my exhaust system is stock with the exception of a custom axle-back setup using a Megan Racing M-RS muffler. I've been debating making a few additional changes to it consisting of NeedsWings catless downpipes & a resonator delete. However, those two things alone will put me in the ballpark of around $1,000. While i'm not entirely opposed to spending some $$$ on a quality exhaust setup, i've also been considering alternative options - specifically QTP electric cutouts. I should note that i'm not building my for serious power or anything like that. I currently have a Needswings single CAI & Eurocharged Performance ECU/TCU tunes. The engine is otherwise stock. Anywho, back to the cutouts. QTP sells a variety of cutout options for different size exhaust piping and then even offer "low profile" cutouts specifically for low cars such as mine. I know of a few reputable exhaust shops in my area that I am pretty close with that could install cutouts for me at a relatively cheap price. A pair of low profile electric cutouts run $383.xx and an in-car controller runs an additional $78.xx putting it @ $461.xx total. And the great thing about these particular cutouts is that you can run them at different settings - open, half-way open and closed - so it wouldn't neccesarily even have to be an "all or nothing" situation as I could run them halfway open on the street, or close them all the way on the longer trips to avoid drone. Anywho I was just looking for some feedback on what people thought of going this route versus spending nearly twice the amount of $$$ to get the downpipes/delete the reasonator. My axle-back is merely for looks, but i'd like a nicer exhaust note and I wouldn't mind picking up a small amount of hp/tq along the way.

QTP's website

https://www.quicktimeperformance.com/QTEC/

And a few places where you can purchase the low profile cutouts

QTP QTEC66 Oval Low Profile Electric Exhaust Cutouts Dual Pair

Quick Time DUAL Low Profile Oval Electric Exhaust Cutout - PFYC.com

Cheers!

Got electric cutouts installed earlier this year. My mechanic said he thought a better idea would be to put a y pipe after the first cats into a 3 inch single pipe and then put the cutout at about roughly just behind the drivers seat. Also going into 1 pipe it cuts down on the price of the cutout because you only have to buy one as opposed to 2. The open/close button is next to where my headlight toggle is. When dyno'd I picked up around 6-7 hp open vs closed and this was on a mustang dyno so it may have been more on a dyno that reads higher who knows. I usually just leave them open at all times. I like the sound but just know it won't be that deep v8 rumble. Any other questions I'd be happy to answer.

Old 11-01-2015, 07:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Corvette and Camaro both have an electric system Sumitt sells a muffler with an electric muffler made by Patroit Vara Flow Tunable Muffler $349.97.

Old 11-04-2015, 09:56 AM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the input guys!