Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Coolant Flush Question

Old 11-01-2016, 06:35 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: Coolant Flush Question

I have to admit that I replaced my thermostat when I did my coolant flush at 50K.
My thinking was that it is a messy job I only wanted to do once, so why not ?
I had even thought about doing the water pump, and would have, but didn't have one on hand then.
I do now, and it will be replaced at the 100K fluid change.

Old 11-01-2016, 07:23 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
I have to admit that I replaced my thermostat when I did my coolant flush at 50K.
I had even thought about doing the water pump, and would have, but didn't have one on hand then.
+1

Ala and I discussed it and we BOTH decided it was worth the $.

BTW-we also decided in the "Meeting of the Minds", to replace/flush ALL fluids. 50K for us both, but 11 years is a loooong time.

Old 11-01-2016, 08:20 AM
Received 180 Likes on 150 Posts

+2 I do my best to avoid "Breakdown Maintenance". I have replaced a perfectly functioning crankshaft position sensor and a battery based on age. Next up is the alternator. I do not want to replace the alternator with one that is "available" because I find myself stranded on a road trip without much in the way of options. I will get a brand new OEM replacement and install it at my leisure here at my home.
My dad was a lead maintenance mechanic at a very large paper mill. They replaced functioning parts per a time schedule as preventative maintenance because down time there meant big $ lost with idle equipment and people. Lesson learned; Thanks dad!

Old 11-01-2016, 11:15 AM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by James1549
Dave, you are smarter than that. You are going to wait until your RCM quits on you in the middle of a highway before you decide to re-solder the bad joints. Doubtful. You won't do the sticky key mod until the ignition switch locks up on a drive away from your house? Doubtful.

James
I actually did those two fixes, fixed and forgot.
I also changed out the original Varta battery in the spring of 2013, just because it was so old even though it had caused no trouble at all. The new battery died in the winter two years later even though I had put the battery tender on it regularly that winter.
I still have the Varta which is still strong after regular charging via the tender, today it measured 12.49 volts and I had forgotten to charge it lately. The Varta is OEM and went in the car in October 2004, that battery is twelve years old now.
I put new batteries in my cars after four or max five years or when one hiccups for whatever reason, they do not get a second chance.
Those Vartas are great batteries. I am trying an AGM battery now, and I bet it does not last as long as the Varta.

Old 11-03-2016, 07:49 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

My feelings exactly about the thermostat.

Old 11-03-2016, 08:32 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80

I still have the Varta which is still strong after regular charging via the tender, today it measured 12.49 volts and I had forgotten to charge it lately. The Varta is OEM and went in the car in October 2004, that battery is twelve years old now.

Dave, you know the real test is how many amps it can deliver at that 12.49 volts? My best guess is not many. Give it a try for curiosity.

James

Old 02-28-2017, 02:05 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Coolant Reminder:
Someone on the Chrysler Crossfire Owners FB page asked what antifreeze to use even though the info is in their owners manual. This turned on a light bulb when I realized that I have not checked the antifreeze since buying my 2004 3 years ago with 35K miles. I have been relying on the Coolant Indicator Light although if it comes on there is probably a hose that is leaking, or worse. The good news is that the correct blue antifreeze* is in the Coolant Reservoir although it is near the bottom of the reservoir & I will be adding some. *MB 325.0 such as Valvoline GO5.

Last edited by Red Runner; 02-28-2017 at 02:08 AM.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Red Runner
Coolant Reminder:
Someone on the Chrysler Crossfire Owners FB page asked what antifreeze to use even though the info is in their owners manual. This turned on a light bulb when I realized that I have not checked the antifreeze since buying my 2004 3 years ago with 35K miles. I have been relying on the Coolant Indicator Light although if it comes on there is probably a hose that is leaking, or worse. The good news is that the correct blue antifreeze* is in the Coolant Reservoir although it is near the bottom of the reservoir & I will be adding some. *MB 325.0 such as Valvoline GO5.
Be aware that G05 is yellow, it's gonna turn a funky color.
If I recall correctly, blue + yellow = green.

Old 02-28-2017, 08:29 AM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts

Be aware that G05 is yellow, it's gonna turn a funky color.
If I recall correctly, blue + yellow = green.
That is correct, I flushed mine pretty thoroughly and the GO5 stilled turned a light shade of blue.

Old 03-01-2017, 07:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you point me to the Coolant Flush tutorial?

Old 03-01-2017, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by RKC00
Can you point me to the Coolant Flush tutorial?
For the NA it is :
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-_-limited.pdf