Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Advice On How To Move Forward with My Crossfire

Old 06-29-2017, 04:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice On How To Move Forward with My Crossfire

I'm here only to ask for experienced owners and or mechanics advice on what my next step should be. Or better yet, "what would you do"? I bought a 2005 xfire about 2 months ago. My buddy owns a performance shop and they deal in high end cars M3s, M5s etc. he came across this and combed over everything and put a whole bunch )of new pen parts, on it. I have cleaned it up even more and have invested in new Niche rims, new paint, new rag top and back window. New components for the interior. I've kept everything pretty stock because of value. Just touched up what needed to be touched up. I've also installed LED's and green lighting on the inside of the car to match the color of the dash and gauge cluster. Also reinstalled a new deck and new infinity speakers to match what was pulled out. The car is very clean and I love it. It had 93k when I bought it and it's now at 97600 and so I was prepping for my first oil change. I went to Mercedes and they told me they aren't servicing them any longer and that Dodge Jeep Chrysler now is assuming that role as a service provider. Made sense but I still wanted to make sure. I went by the closest one to my house and they assured me they do service them and that a few come into the dealership. I said all I want is an oil change. They agreed and so I set an appointment for 2 weeks later. This gets us current. Now mind you since I purchased the car it has run like a champ. No issues whatsoever. No warning lights, no leaks, nothing. I pull up on Friday and drop my car off and I wait there because I want to make sure everything goes fine. I'm there for about 2 hours and here comes my car. They assure me everything is done and that all is well. I drive it a mile to my home and in the garage it goes. At first light everything seems a little quieter and a little smoother as it usually does after an oil change (full synthetic mobile 1 was used). I get up the next morning (Now Saturday) and I drive it to my friends home about 25 miles away. I now have an opportunity to open her up a little so I get up to about 85, 90 and I can feel the drag and hesitation. It's not performing like I should. I visit with my friend and then drive the car home. Now I start to hear this sound like a bell or something. I soon realize after looking all around trying to figure out what that noise is I deduce that it's a warning. I stare immediately at the mileage screen and I see a little oil can that reads HI. I arrive home and immediately park it and start to dig through to see what's going on. I have now learned that they put too much oil in the oil reserve and have also learned, thanks to crossfiireforum.org what could potentially happen if this happens. Well low and behold it's happen to me on my first oil change. Now.... keep in mind this is Saturday evening at about 6pm and service is closed on the weekend. But now I'm freaking because it could have sustained irreversible damage is what I kept telling myself. I do what I feel is the right thing since they are closed. I pay a mobile mechanic 150 bucks to come out and just visually inspect anything possibly wrong. He does what he can by just looking because I've given him very specific instructions not to do any work on the car but just a visual evaluation. He claims that a gasket is torn or has a stress fracture which is causing it to leak. Says there appears to be fresh oil leaking from it. I'm not getting heated about what this all means. Monday is now here, I'm upset and want this fixed. I call the dealership and they send 2 guys to my home and check the dippstickxqnd tell me it's fine to drive it to the dealership. I get it there after disagreement in not wanting to tow it and they claim the car has been fixed and the service director walks me to my car. He says if anything goes wrong bring it back and they take care of it. 12 hours later, the check engine light comes on. I call my service advisor and she tells me to bring it in. I take it there today and they had my car unitlv10. Tell me it's ready and I then learn that nothing was down. They replaced the gaskets and then wanted to charge me 500 for it. They have not assumed any accountability for anything and continue to revert back that the bad oil change job couldn't have anything to do with any of the symptoms. Now the vehicle rocks left and right in a shaking moron due to a misfire which they claim is because of the mileage and age of car. I'm thinking. You idiot. It was fine 4 days ago. You guys have had it full time since. They have not even tried to do anything about the check engine light whic is ultimately their responsibility and they were perfectly ok with trying to handle keys and not account for any of this and then charge me 500 for the work. Now they want me to drive a car that has a check engine light on, still shakes and runs now like poop. What should I do? Do I have any recourse with this. Should they be responsible even if it meant new engine? I appreciate anyone's feedback.

Regards,
NewBee XFIRE Owner
Konrad

Last edited by Krad1975; 06-29-2017 at 04:30 AM. Reason: Adding pic
Old 06-29-2017, 01:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Advice On How To Move Forward with My Crossfire

Hi Konrad, sorry about your problems. First, the "hi" level alarm is ,just that. Many on here have done it,and it's a simple fix. With that said, here's a bit of advice ; NEVER GO TO A DEALER, and now you know why. If you not a DIYer find a local ,independent Mercedes or German auto shop. They still charge ,$100 an hour, but a good shop won't , inflate the charges. What is the code that was given, when the "check engine" came on? If you don't have a code reader, you can go to almost any auto parts store an they will come out an test it for free. Autozone's are a national chain an very helpful in these matters. In order to help , we will need to know what that code is.

Old 06-29-2017, 03:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi good afternoon,
i apologize for the delay in my response as I was at work trying to get out of here to deal with my poor car. And thank you for taking the time out of your day to help me get some clarity behind this. I got codes as soon as the check engine light came on. I went to Orielys and they gave me a Bosch Reader. The codes it read and gave to me are p0171 Fuel Control Systems and probable components being
1. Mass Airflow Sensor
2. Engine Intake Manifold
2. Fuel Filter
3. Positive Crankcase Ventillation
4. Engine Intake Air Duct
5. oxygen Sendor
6. EGR Valve

second code from what I pulled was
P0173

even slim chance could what they have done caused any of this. The car is now misfiring badly and rocks back and forth at idle. None of this was happening before the oil change. My gasket is now fracked on the left side if you're facing the nose of the car.

I went directly to their their corporate office and have now taken this to the highest
level. Do you recommend I take the car back and get it to someone that is capable and then send the bill to them? Does this type of strategy work?

Old 06-29-2017, 03:49 PM

#3 in your reply could be a direct result of your oil change. First make sure your dipstick is pushed all the way in , also that it has the rubber o-ring in place. Next would be to check the seal, where you pour oil in. There has been more than one instance where either leaking, has caused rough idle situation. One way to check is , while the car is running ,remove the cap for the oil fill, if there is no change in the way it is running then the car is sucking air from some where. Codes PO171 and 173 could be , incidentally caused by the car struggling to make up for the extra air it is receiving.

Welcome to the forum!

Last edited by Steve Jr; 06-29-2017 at 04:03 PM.
Old 07-08-2017, 02:44 PM

Hey Konrad, what ever happened? Did you get it resolved?