Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

E55amg

Old 07-10-2017, 08:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E55amg

Hello all. I have a 05 roadster putting in a e55 amg from a 03 sl. So I will be purchasing engine tranny wiring tcu and ecu. Anything else? Would I need rear different and fuel pump from sl also? Thanks.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:41 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: E55amg

That sounds about right.
Its that simple, everyone is doing it!

Old 07-11-2017, 08:54 PM
Forum Regular
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

haha Simpler and cheaper would be to just buy an SRT-6 .
its stock blown 6 makes about the same power as the na v8 and weighs Less.

fit a Supercharged amg v8 if you really want that v8 noise And more power.
GL

Last edited by daveesrt6; 07-12-2017 at 07:54 AM.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:23 AM

It is the supercharged amg. I am able to get low km motor tranny ecu and tcu and wiring for 3k. I have done engine swaps. Lotus m100 swaps. Vw vr6 Turbocharger custom fabrications etc... just new to the crossfire and mercedes line. And was hoping to make this my winter project. I have read the posts on the swap. And read articles for the v8 amg supercharged engine swap. But am unable to find any detail on specific parts. When I pickup the amg engine etc just don't want to miss anything. I would imagine I would need the fuel pump? The rear differential apparently from crossfire is fine just upgrade from wave tech. Thanks for the response. A itemized list would be helpful.

Last edited by johnny1234; 07-12-2017 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Letters
Old 07-12-2017, 07:46 AM
Forum Regular
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Ok , then yes you will need the correct SL v8 fuel pump.the TCU can be sorted to work with the diff.
a wavetrack or quaiffe lsd would be optional but probably advisable
Heavier front springs too and SRT6, or bigger brakes .
others may chime in with more ..

Old 07-12-2017, 10:13 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by daveesrt6
Ok , then yes you will need the correct SL v8 fuel pump.the TCU can be sorted to work with the diff.
a wavetrack or quaiffe lsd would be optional but probably advisable
Heavier front springs too and SRT6, or bigger brakes .
others may chime in with more ..
Stock limited springs and srt spring both work fine. I have used both for years. the extra weight bring the front down to match the srt. The rest is ride quality and that depends on the owner

Old 07-12-2017, 04:00 PM

Great. Thanks all. So the tcu I would be able to use the crossfire? And exhaust I would assume only need the headers as I would mod the existing crossfire exhaust. And differential could be made to work from crossfire? So.... as long as I get the fuel pump. Ecu. Tranny and engine.wiring I should be good to go..?

Old 07-12-2017, 08:24 PM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi Jonny

Changing the fuel pump will be the easiest part.

The Crossfire TCU will need to be reprogrammed for the different transmission ratios in the SL transmission. (The V6 and V8/SRT transmissions have different ratios). If you go to drive it without reprogramming the TCU, it will go into limp home mode as soon as it changes into 3rd gear. I had mine reprogrammed by Eurocharged, you'll also need to tell them what diff ratio you are running.

Put a wavetrac centre in the diff.

You'll need to change the driveshaft (at least the front section) as the connection to the gearbox is different. You can use the front section of an SRT6/SLK32, or change the connection on the transmission.

You can modify the existing exhaust headers (weld the front part of the V8 headers to the rear of your existing V6 headers) or buy new ones that will bolt straight on from Needswings.

Lower the front swaybar to clear the front of the engine sump. Just use some large washers as spacers.

As your in the UK, your car will be right hand drive. One of the biggest problems I had was the the M113 engine has the starter motor located on the right hand side. It's where the steering box is and will not fit. I had to relocate the starter to the left hand side of the engine (lots of work!). You can reuse the starter from your V6 as its the correct type for left hand side mounting. Have a quick look at your V8 and check where the starter is.

The main issue will be the ECU. The ECU needs to have all the right circuitry to run the M113K engine and work with the Crossfire chassis. It needs the right firmware and must be coded to suit your vehicle options. It also needs to be mated to the immobilizer in your car.

Put bigger brakes on it.

I'm not sure about the vehicle modification laws in the UK, but if they're similar to Australia, the maximum allowable engine capacity is based on the vehicle weight. NA engines have a multiplier of 5x and forced induction engines have a multiplier of 3x. I wasn't able to legally fit the supercharged V8, I had to use the NA version. It would pay to check before you go to all this trouble (unless you just want to have a track or drag car).

Good Luck!

Old 07-12-2017, 08:31 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

May the force be with you. And hurry before the leaves fall off your back yard shade tree. Good Luck...Squirrel Crusher

Old 07-13-2017, 07:28 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

How's your project coming along Squirrel Crusher...you can pm me if you wish...love to hear about it...

Old 07-13-2017, 11:06 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
How's your project coming along Squirrel Crusher...you can pm me if you wish...love to hear about it...
Carrillo custom rods are promised to be in
Rudy's hands this coming Friday 7-20 and BWE pistons. V-8 burn outs want be long after that. Rudy at Accelerated Industries could be a good source for your V-8 electronic modifications. Squirrel Crusher