Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Suggestions on where to go for a fluid flush?

Old 07-05-2018, 05:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions on where to go for a fluid flush?

Check Engine light came on and I took Shaka (my cars name) to the local dealership. In addition to needing to replace the fuel pump control relay pack (thanks tighed1), the diagnostic also mentioned a complete fluid flush. The notes mention a fuel induction service, break fluid flush, differential service coolant flush and power steering fluid flush. My service guy, not sure if he was telling the truth or trying to scare me, said that I should be careful about going else where - especially for the power steering fluid. Hoping you guys can help me out regarding where to go or what to do. I was thinking the local Jiffy Lube (or similar ??) or is this something that I can do myself? Thanks for any help.

Old 07-05-2018, 06:10 PM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts
Default Re: Suggestions on where to go for a fluid flush?

Originally Posted by AtlantaBran
Check Engine light came on and I took Shaka (my cars name) to the local dealership. In addition to needing to replace the fuel pump control relay pack (thanks tighed1), the diagnostic also mentioned a complete fluid flush. The notes mention a fuel induction service, break fluid flush, differential service coolant flush and power steering fluid flush. My service guy, not sure if he was telling the truth or trying to scare me, said that I should be careful about going else where - especially for the power steering fluid. Hoping you guys can help me out regarding where to go or what to do. I was thinking the local Jiffy Lube (or similar ??) or is this something that I can do myself? Thanks for any help.
How many miles on this car? The dealer will cost you a small fortune.
I cannot say there is a differential cooling system, oil only.
Power steering service is just sucking out the old and adding the correct fluid, no big deal.
Putting it bluntly the dealer wants to rob you. You should be sble to do it all yourself and if the miles are not too high you can skip some fluid changes.

Old 07-05-2018, 06:11 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

It is totally something you can, and should do yourself, NOT a dealer or for certain not Jiffy Lube,
I did all the above my self.

Old 07-05-2018, 06:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
How many miles on this car? The dealer will cost you a small fortune.
I cannot say there is a differential cooling system, oil only.
Power steering service is just sucking out the old and adding the correct fluid, no big deal.
Putting it bluntly the dealer wants to rob you. You should be sble to do it all yourself and if the miles are not too high you can skip some fluid changes.
89K. Yep, they wanted about $900 for just the flush.

Old 07-05-2018, 09:35 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Power steering fluid flush? Never changed it on any car I've owned, ever. As far as I understand it's just designer hydraulic fluid similar to transmission fluid, which will work fine. I'd check the oil level in the diff and fill as needed only, unless you've been racing regularly. Changing the brake fluid is easy enough to do yourself. If it's never been done before in 14 yrs. I'd do it. I don't know what a fuel induction service is. They're offering mostly needless service to give you piece of mind after planting seeds of doubt.

Les