Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Clunk noise when shifting P R N D

Old 10-06-2018, 11:33 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Clunk noise when shifting P R N D

Hello,

Since yesterday, I am noticing a distinct "clunk" noise when shifting into any position of the automatic transmission. Noise is the same regardless of where from and where to I am shifting. Sounds like it is coming from right underneath the stick.
When driving, gears shift fine and I do not hear that noise. I would also say it appeared rather quickly, as I think I would have heard it before, even if it was less loud than it is now.
The noise is present even when shifting without the engine is not running!

I have attached a video where you can hear the clunk. Engine not running, brake pedal released except when going back to Park.
Also on Youtube:

I know I need to get under the car, but I do not have ramps for the weekend, and this is getting me worried, so until I get under the car, I was wondering if somebody alreayd had an idea of what it could be?
2005 Crossfire Convertible Limited

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Alex

Attached Files
File Type: avi
20181006_111058_1.avi (3.14 MB, 34 views)
Old 10-06-2018, 02:42 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Clunk noise when shifting P R N D

1st off, I don't think you need to get under the car. If anything is going bad, it sounds like it's right at the shift lever mechanism under the console. My auto. makes a little noise going through the gears, perhaps not as loud as yours though. How many miles on the car and how long have you had it? And of course the noise would be more present when the engine isn't drowning it out. Is it possible you just never tuned into it before now? If something is happening, my bet is that it's the connection at the bottom of lever, or maybe a console nut/bolt connection has loosened or fallen off; Just guessing here. Good luck with it, perhaps others have had this louder shifting before that will add their experience with it.

Old 10-06-2018, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by dinasrt
1st off, I don't think you need to get under the car. If anything is going bad, it sounds like it's right at the shift lever mechanism under the console. My auto. makes a little noise going through the gears, perhaps not as loud as yours though. How many miles on the car and how long have you had it? And of course the noise would be more present when the engine isn't drowning it out. Is it possible you just never tuned into it before now? If something is happening, my bet is that it's the connection at the bottom of lever, or maybe a console nut/bolt connection has loosened or fallen off; Just guessing here. Good luck with it, perhaps others have had this louder shifting before that will add their experience with it.
Thanks Dinasrt. I was under the car and just saw your answer. Found exactly what it was. I will post pics in a minute. You were extremely close to what it was ;-)

Old 10-06-2018, 04:13 PM

Made a ramp out of the backyard concrete tiles, got under the car and found out what it was.
One of the two transmission shift linkage bushings is completely gone. The one at the shifter stick looks fine, the one at the transmission gear box level has vanished.
Here are some pics for anybody who runs into this issue.
Assuming this is all Mercedes SLK320 type, it looks like this is what I need (available from partsgeek.com):
Vaico Automatic Transmission Shift Linkage Bushing
Part Number: 6500-01148972
Typical $2 part that is going to take me a day to replace because there is so little access...

Green bushing on the shifter stick side still there.

Bushing at other end of linkage gone.

Last edited by FrenchyAlex; 10-06-2018 at 04:15 PM.
Old 10-06-2018, 04:46 PM

Great that you honed into it and figured it out. Troubleshooting the issue is often 1/2 the battle. Thanks for posting the pic.'s and part # for us owners that may have this happen to us in the future. This should perhaps be added to the repair links that 180 has on our site.

Old 10-06-2018, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by dinasrt
Great that you honed into it and figured it out. Troubleshooting the issue is often 1/2 the battle. Thanks for posting the pic.'s and part # for us owners that may have this happen to us in the future. This should perhaps be added to the repair links that 180 has on our site.
Considering everything this forum taught me, least I can do is post pics of my findings ;-)
I will post again once I have replaced the bushing, in case I run into something worth mentioning here.
Car has 91000 miles, is 13 years old, and my daily drive. Can't really complain about having to replace an exposed bushing ....

Old 10-06-2018, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by FrenchyAlex
Considering everything this forum taught me, least I can do is post pics of my findings ;-)
I will post again once I have replaced the bushing, in case I run into something worth mentioning here.
Car has 91000 miles, is 13 years old, and my daily drive. Can't really complain about having to replace an exposed bushing ....
Yes, look forward to know how much you needed to tear open to get to it. And you can call me Bob; wife is Dina who I got the car for. Someday, I guess I should give it back to her. jk.

Old 11-01-2020, 01:30 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

it s 2020 now but thank you

Old 11-01-2020, 03:08 PM
Received 344 Likes on 304 Posts

Huh ????

Old 01-19-2021, 10:15 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Just saying thanks that the information. Many years after this write up was posted it ended helping me. Well, on this linkage bushings problem, I had no clue.

Old 05-30-2021, 10:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question, my son has a 05 Crossfire Automatic Base, while pulling in a parking lot, he went to put the car in park and the shifter just sailed through the gears with no catching, Free rain.... is this the Transmission or just the shift linkage the connects the shifter to the Transmission? If it is just the linkage, is it visible and easy enough to fix or does the tyranny need dropped? Please refrain from any smart comments please...I could really use some help!!

Old 05-30-2021, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Bzak1pgh
Question, my son has a 05 Crossfire Automatic Base, while pulling in a parking lot, he went to put the car in park and the shifter just sailed through the gears with no catching, Free rain.... is this the Transmission or just the shift linkage the connects the shifter to the Transmission? If it is just the linkage, is it visible and easy enough to fix or does the tyranny need dropped? Please refrain from any smart comments please...I could really use some help!!
Look at post #4 above. With luck, it's just that linkage connection that came apart. Get it up on ramps and take a look.

The following users liked this post:
Bzak1pgh (05-30-2021)