Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Transmission Fluid - What to use?

Old 11-25-2018, 07:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Fluid - What to use?

I'm seeking to open discussion about which Transmission fluid to use.
My SRT6, 5-speed auto has done approx 133,000 kms (approx. 83,000 miles) and I am wanting to change the filter, gasket and Transmission Fluid.
I understand it will be costly to flush the whole system so thinking to just drain the pan and top up what has drained out.
I understand these transmissions take 8L and when you drain the pan you only get approximately 5L out.
So, I was thinking to just put back in the 5L of transmission fluid, but which type?
According to the specs the Transmission fluid should meet MB 236.10 and/or MB 236.12.
I would like to put the same stuff back in as it will be mixing with the old.
Problem is, I rang the local MB dealer and they only supply the latest MB 236.14 and they say it should be OK but upon doing further research I found that the MB 236.14 is more "slippery" and designed for the 7 - 9 speed boxes.

What have other XF brothers and sisters done in this case?

Old 11-25-2018, 07:53 PM
Received 180 Likes on 150 Posts
Default Re: Transmission Fluid - What to use?

Go to ebay and type in search 236.10 oil, several suppliers should show up. Once you get the oil, go to a transmission shop that will flush the converter also, so you get a complete fluid exchange as the older style fluid is getting harder to find.

Old 11-25-2018, 08:47 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

15Spokes. I just did what you are planning to do. I gave my business to Needswings, Purchased the complete kit to include 5 liters of Mercedes-Benz 236.14, new electrical connector (the original is prone to leak at the "O" rings, a Benz trans filter, new pan gasket and a new plug to replace the cap/plug where you check your fluid with the dipstick. My car had just over 41K miles when I did this. With me it was more time then miles. Needless to say the fluid was not deep cherry red. I really think you are over thinking this on using the 236.14. It is the latest that Mercedes offers and although I've only put a couple hundred miles on her since the drain and fill, I haven't seen any change in how she shifts.

When I did this I first checked the fluid level with the car cold and on a level surface. I checked the trans level with a flexible transmission dipstick (Needswings sells these) noting exactly how far up the fluid was on the stick This way I made sure when I finished adding the fresh fluid I didn't overfill (Checking the fluid again with the car cold) reaching the same spot wet on the dipstick. That's nice that Mercedes-Benz had a drain plug on the pan. My 2013 300C doesn't. Just made the drain that much easier. I let her drain overnight then proceeded next morning to drop the pan allowing the additional fluid to drain out. Cleaned the pan and magnet in my parts washer using mineral spirits. Replaced the electrical connector, trans filter and pan gasket torquing the pan bolts to factory specs.

Here's some pics of the fluid used and the kit Needswings sells. Although I purchased 5 liters, I only drained and filled 3.6 liters of fluid. Good luck on your decision but again I think you will be OK with the 236.14.

Regards,

Old 11-25-2018, 11:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Re: Transmission Fluid - What to use?

Originally Posted by CROSSFIRERUSH
15Spokes. I just did what you are planning to do. I gave my business to Needswings, Purchased the complete kit to include 5 liters of Mercedes-Benz 236.14, new electrical connector (the original is prone to leak at the "O" rings, a Benz trans filter, new pan gasket and a new plug to replace the cap/plug where you check your fluid with the dipstick. My car had just over 41K miles when I did this. With me it was more time then miles. Needless to say the fluid was not deep cherry red. I really think you are over thinking this on using the 236.14. It is the latest that Mercedes offers and although I've only put a couple hundred miles on her since the drain and fill, I haven't seen any change in how she shifts.

When I did this I first checked the fluid level with the car cold and on a level surface. I checked the trans level with a flexible transmission dipstick (Needswings sells these) noting exactly how far up the fluid was on the stick This way I made sure when I finished adding the fresh fluid I didn't overfill (Checking the fluid again with the car cold) reaching the same spot wet on the dipstick. That's nice that Mercedes-Benz had a drain plug on the pan. My 2013 300C doesn't. Just made the drain that much easier. I let her drain overnight then proceeded next morning to drop the pan allowing the additional fluid to drain out. Cleaned the pan and magnet in my parts washer using mineral spirits. Replaced the electrical connector, trans filter and pan gasket torquing the pan bolts to factory specs.

Here's some pics of the fluid used and the kit Needswings sells. Although I purchased 5 liters, I only drained and filled 3.6 liters of fluid. Good luck on your decision but again I think you will be OK with the 236.14.

Regards,
Thanks for sharing!
Interesting that only 3.6L comes out. That's less than half the capacity.
Perhaps it may be worth re-dropping the pan a few weeks doing it the first time and re-filling again to get more new oil in the system. This would be costly and probably better just to take to trans shop to flush the whole system.
I did see the Needswings package but postage to Australia makes it uneconomical, given that we have all those parts here.
The Mercedes dealership here sells the 236.14 at $$22.02(AUD) for 1L and $$81.90(AUD) for 5L.
The auto connector was replaced in 2009 under Warranty and still does not leak so probably still ok and new one not required.
I've already got the Repco Trans Kit (RTK92) ready to go.

Quick question: Do you put any (Ultra Black RTV) sealant on the rubber trans pan gasket when installing or not?

Old 11-26-2018, 08:22 AM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

15Spokes,

Install the gasket dry. You’ll see the way it’s designed, there’s a groove down the middle of the gasket that ensures a leak free assembly

By the way, like your forumhandle!��

Regards,

Old 11-29-2018, 03:04 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

You can idle the car to spin out more fluid if that is of a concern to you. The converter will pump out some more that way, suggest the pan be on to catch the spray of material released, Woody Enjoy.