Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

X pipe in place of rear cats

Old 01-13-2019, 01:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X pipe in place of rear cats

Will a 2.25 inch x pipe in place of rear cats help the drone out? I know the power increase is negligible but I want the deeper sound, along with the more balanced exhaust flow and I heard it could also help the drone. Has anyone had any personal experience? Thank you in advance.

Old 01-15-2019, 04:04 PM
Default Re: X pipe in place of rear cats

It should yes, i bought this one
Amazon Amazon
im installing it this friday in place of my cats ill let you know the results!

Old 01-16-2019, 01:14 PM

Yes please let me know as soon as you get back from the drive home Friday night!! If it works ill purchase that Friday and have it installed the day that I get it

Old 01-16-2019, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Ajbarbier
Yes please let me know as soon as you get back from the drive home Friday night!! If it works ill purchase that Friday and have it installed the day that I get it
of course!! I’ll get some pics if I can

Old 01-16-2019, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by wbarth123

of course!! I’ll get some pics if I can
perfect, can’t wait! What’s your current exhaust setup?

Old 01-17-2019, 02:28 PM

perfect, can’t wait! What’s your current exhaust setup?
currently i have a muffler delete with a borla muffler replacing it, also replaced tips with dual 3.5's. Main reason i'm trying the x pipe for cats is to get rid of some drone(also want more sound tho!), I read that it will accomplish that!

Old 01-18-2019, 12:26 PM

So just got back, the xpipe didnt fit. The pipes were too far apart to work with our pipes so we ended up using some regular pipe! Worked out great, the sound is deeper and i have noticed a little less drone which is great. If you can measure and find a pre-made xpipe to fit, that would be perfect. Your mechanic should be able to custom make one for you just fine though. I decided to try this out for a bit and go back if i wanted him to make it into an xpipe. The only mechanic willing to take off cats was my dads buddy, hes a bit redneck so it looks a little jury-rigged im sure

Old 01-18-2019, 12:30 PM

Old 01-18-2019, 04:27 PM

Dang that’s a bummer that the x pipe didn’t fit!! So you the drone had been cut? Is noticeable or would you not recommend it? Lastly what size piping did you use on place of the rear cats? Was it just regular straight piping? Thanks for all the help, trying to get this right before the girlfriend visits next weekend!

Old 01-19-2019, 12:04 AM

Dang that’s a bummer that the x pipe didn’t fit!! So you the drone had been cut? Is noticeable or would you not recommend it? Lastly what size piping did you use on place of the rear cats? Was it just regular straight piping? Thanks for all the help, trying to get this right before the girlfriend visits next weekend!
Well after driving at 80 today on the highways I wouldn’t say it helped the drone as much as I thought. At lower rpms it’s better but higher rpms it’s just straight up louder 😂 recommend? Well that’s up to your taste, if I had a gf still probably not lol. I had a straight piped bmw 335 before this and holding a convo with people in the car was hard with all the noise. If it’s just you in the car 90% and you like a loud car then yes I would recommend. In my experience, girls don’t mind the loud car as much as we think as long we are happy oh and yes, just some piping. I think all and all I’d try to find an xpipe that already fits! Might be hard but good luck 👍🏽

Old 01-19-2019, 12:09 AM

One more thing, the drone isn’t coming from deleting the rear cats. If you have a stock exhaust you will be fine it’ll only make your exhaust more throaty and deep sounding. I have drone from the smaller sport muffler vibrating the hell outta everything!

Old 01-19-2019, 06:46 PM

Honestly I kind of want to straight pipe this car in hope of s few baby flames and nice crackles. Not sure that’s the key though lol. I’ve got the Megan exhaust on the back of it and the tone is absolutely perfect, love how it sounds! Just need to find a way to A) kill drone, and B) make it crackle and pop. Any ideas? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Old 01-19-2019, 06:48 PM

Good advice with the gf too, she’s happy if I’m happy but I’m picking her up from Sarasota next week and want to make the 1.5 hour car ride a little bearable for her but yeah the drone is definitely coming from the exhaust, and really just annoying only on the highway. Maybe a side branch resonator would fix the issue

Old 01-28-2019, 01:57 PM

Hey man, just one more question. Did deleting the rear cats make the exhaust crackle/pop more? Its the one thing I miss from my old stang I had. Pretty much had it straight piped but I was just wondering if it made any of that noise.

Old 01-28-2019, 02:55 PM

No :/ my bmw 335 popped to no end too i miss it. Just made it louder and deeper, I wish there was more info on modding the crossfire too brother. Im trying to get a local tuner to add in some backfire if i can find a competent one, ill let you know what i find.

Old 01-28-2019, 06:23 PM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts

No :/ my bmw 335 popped to no end too i miss it. Just made it louder and deeper, I wish there was more info on modding the crossfire too brother. Im trying to get a local tuner to add in some backfire if i can find a competent one, ill let you know what i find.
Who would have guessed you were just 18 years old with a comment like that.
I knocked out the baffles in my motor bike at your age.

Old 01-28-2019, 06:45 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

You can put a spark plug at the end of the tail pipe with a coil and an oscillator, hook up some propane and really have some fun

Old 01-28-2019, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
You can put a spark plug at the end of the tail pipe with a coil and an oscillator, hook up some propane and really have some fun
Why settle for a backfire, let’s have some flames. Looks hot even when its cool.

Last edited by onehundred80; 01-28-2019 at 07:04 PM.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80

Who would have guessed you were just 18 years old with a comment like that.
I knocked out the baffles in my motor bike at your age.
Sorry old man, my cars don't sit in the garage. I drive 20k miles a year as an 18 year old. I work hard for what I have, loud is what I like. It'd sound stock to your old ears if i didn't get it to shoot flames anyways!

Old 01-29-2019, 12:56 AM

Sorry old man, my cars don't sit in the garage. I drive 20k miles a year as an 18 year old. I work hard for what I have, loud is what I like. It'd sound stock to your old ears if i didn't get it to shoot flames anyways!
Maybe at your age I lacked a sense of humour too.

Quick Reply: X pipe in place of rear cats