Europe Serving all countries of the European continent.

New for 06 - ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 12:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New for 06 - ?

Got the feeling I've just been done !

Had an '03/53 Xfire for past 15 months when it developed a small oil leak. Car recovered under Privilege service, loaned a Merc E class and fixed by dealer in under 24 hours. Fantastic service.

While it was in the dealer, their salesman suggested that he could do me a great deal on a new '06 Xfire. Having bought a second hand one because of the way they depreciate from new I told him it would need to be an outstanding deal to make me interested.

The deal - My Xfire '03/53 Silver Auto Coupe (25k miles, a few wheel scrapes, but clean apart from that) probably worth trade about £12k + £9k cash for a new '06 Met Grey Coupe Auto with free Smartnav List £26,670. Saving about £5.5k (OK so I'll still loose £9k over the next 2 years, but that's much better than the £8k I've just lost in the last 15 months!)

Things started to unravel on Monday. Got a call from the dealer - my car had arrived, but as it was an '06 model, it wasn't Graphite Grey, but Machine Grey. Went in and had a look at it - I didn't like it - somewhere between the old graphite grey and metallic black colours, but with a hint of blue green. It changes colour depending on the light and would be a nightmare to keep clean. It was an '06 car though as it had a Chrysler name badge on the LHS at the back and a wind deflector on the drivers side windscreen wiper.

Not a problem the dealer said, we've also got a silver one - you can have that instead.

Picked it up today - no Smartnav fitted and the car although registered in my name today as an '06 reg is already 9 months old (manufactured June '05 according to the plate in the door frame)

The Smartnav problem can be sorted and they're letting me know when it can be fitted, but does anyone out there know what all the changes are for the '06 model year? (is it just a badge, a new set of colours and a wind deflector or is there more?)

Also does anyone out there know the legal definition applied to a "new" car in the UK ? - the one I've got now has just spent 9 months sitting in a compound somewhere. Additionally can you tell the model year of the car from it's VIN ?

That outstanding deal is beginning to look a bit ordinary now.

Last edited by GeorgeB; 03-09-2006 at 03:00 PM.
Old 03-10-2006, 07:04 AM
Forum Regular
Default Re: New for 06 - ?

TBH I can't see the point in spending an extra £9000 buying the same car (with a few extra worthless touches) again when its only going to take a big fall in the first year of ownership. Is there really anything over your current one that makes it a good buy. Have you tried to at least look for an SRT.

Just spend a couple of grand on your current Xfire getting the wheels sorted, rotex brake pads, engine chipped, satnav system and maybe a bit of bling if you desire.

Old 03-10-2006, 07:10 AM
Forum Regular

Oh looks like you've done the deal. Oh well happy driving.

Old 03-14-2006, 10:16 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GeorgeB
Additionally can you tell the model year of the car from it's VIN ?
GeorgeB, the 10th. digit in your vin # should be a 6. Congratulations on your "BRAND NEW" Crossfire!

Old 03-15-2006, 01:02 PM
Forum Regular

what does /53 mean???

thanks.

j

Old 03-16-2006, 05:17 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by xfire1
what does /53 mean???
j
Thats our numberplate numbering system in the UK. There are two changes in a year.

53 = Car registered September 2003
04 = March of 2004
54 = September of 2004
05 = March of 2005

and so on

An example of a number plate is EA05 VND. The first two letter are where the car was registered. The two numbers are as described above. The last three letters are random.

Old 03-16-2006, 08:43 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At the end of the day a new car is a new car.
I often buy pre registered cars or bikes as you get them alot cheaper but they are still brand new.
Your car is still registered as an 06 which is all that matters when coming to sell it.
Just try to be happy you've get got a brand new Crossfire.

Norrie.

Old 03-16-2006, 08:48 AM
Forum Regular

thanks MARK_UK

JOSH

Old 03-16-2006, 08:56 AM
Forum Regular

GEORGEB

NOT SURE IF YOU KNOW, BUT ON THIS FORUM THERE ARE THREADS PERTAINING TO WHAT YEAR A CROSSFIRE WAS BUILT AS OPPOSED TO THE YEAR IT WILL BE REGISTERED... I AM LOOKING FOR THE THREAD BUT CAN'T FIND IT NOW... HOWEVER THERE ARE CERTAIN CUT-OFF DATES DURING A PRODUCTION YEAR... WHEN A CAR IS CONSIDERED AN '05 vs AN 'O6...

BIG SALUTE TO YOU FOR OBTAINING ANOTHER CROSSFIRE... BEST OF LUCK ON THIS ONE...

CHEERS
JOSH