Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Silverstar ULTRA bulbs

Old 11-02-2006, 02:05 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silverstar ULTRA bulbs

Has anyone tried the new Silverstar ULTRA headlight and foglight bulbs? I used the regular Silverstar bulbs in my mustang and previous cars and liked the white effect. The new ULTRA bulbs claim to be 30% brighter and whiter than the regular silverstar bulbs. I'm pondering HIDS, because I want a little whiter light than the stock bulbs. I might give these a try first though.

Old 03-11-2007, 06:21 PM
Default Re: Silverstar ULTRA bulbs

After not finding these bulbs anywhere, I called Sylvania who makes the Ultra Bulbs. They told me that they do not make that bulb in a H7 size as of now. Might have them in that size by the fall of this year. If anyone has found them on the market please let us know where. Thanks.

Frenchy
new owner '04 Black Coupe

Old 03-11-2007, 07:37 PM
Thumbs up Re: Silverstar ULTRA bulbs

H7 are not available yet... I did have the ULTRA Silverstars in my Nissan though and I really couldn't tell if they were any brighter. I finally caved and got HID conversion for about $180.00... they are very bright.

02-26-07_0149.jpg

Old 03-14-2007, 12:44 PM
Forum Regular
Question Re: Silverstar ULTRA bulbs

What temp are those HIDs, 8,000K+

Old 03-14-2007, 01:21 PM
RPM

I had Silverstars in my Accord. They lasted about 2 weeks before blowing. I wasn't impressed.

Old 03-16-2007, 10:33 AM

The temp...is 10,000k... Blue blue blue...thinking of going to 6k next.

Old 01-17-2008, 04:33 PM

I just bought these (h7 silverstar ultra) before i install i wanted to find some pics. Just thought i would let you know that they DO have them for our cars now! for $50 at kragen. (i got them for 30 w. coupon and rebate though)

Old 01-17-2008, 05:19 PM
Forum Regular

With true HIDs being 1,000s (wiring, relays, ballasts, headlamps,etc.) where can I get some knockoffs. I don't want to pay that much.

Old 01-17-2008, 05:24 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Silverstar ULTRA bulbs

Originally Posted by blond xo
I just bought these (h7 silverstar ultra) before i install i wanted to find some pics. Just thought i would let you know that they DO have them for our cars now! for $50 at kragen. (i got them for 30 w. coupon and rebate though)
I have them (Ultras) but haven't yet installed them. When I do, I'll do one side (lows and highs) and take some photos to post. I hope this will help people to make a decision.

I'll get it done this weekend.

I nstalled them in the Tahoe and they are MUCH brighter than stock.

Old 01-17-2008, 06:07 PM

We must all be on the same wavelength. My two packages of Silverstar Ultra bulbs are sitting right here on my desk waiting for me to install them. I bought them at AutoZone last nite for 49.95 a pack. I figured that I would replace the hi and lo beams. I had to check the Sylvania web site last nite after getting home as the book that they had there did not list the ultras for a 05 Crossfire, but the website does. I was confident that they would be fine installing, but I wasn't taking any chances. It's funny to see this thread today after spending over an hour looking for head lite info on here yesterday afternoon. Now it seems like the harder part is going to be to get those clips off and install the new ones. I opened the hood last nite, but it was too dark and cold to be
messing with them.

Old 01-17-2008, 06:16 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WildChild
The temp...is 10,000k... Blue blue blue...thinking of going to 6k next.
Go with 5000k. You'll be much happier.

Old 01-17-2008, 06:18 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jeep2Xfire
With true HIDs being 1,000s (wiring, relays, ballasts, headlamps,etc.) where can I get some knockoffs. I don't want to pay that much.
????

You can get 'em for less than $300 on EBay. Search this forum for "McCulloch" and you will see lots of info on them.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:39 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have posted this in other threads on the same subject. If you want a whiter light for a cheap price get the Sylvania Silverstars. If you want a brighter light, get an HID conversion kit. Sylvania will have you believe the Silverstars are "so much brighter" however they are the equivalent brightness of the OEM bulbs essentially. However the white light is a nice effect and I enjoy them.

Old 01-18-2008, 05:39 AM
Exclamation Re: Silverstar ULTRA bulbs

Originally Posted by BenderJG
We must all be on the same wavelength. My two packages of Silverstar Ultra bulbs are sitting right here on my desk waiting for me to install them. I bought them at AutoZone last nite for 49.95 a pack. I figured that I would replace the hi and lo beams. I had to check the Sylvania web site last nite after getting home as the book that they had there did not list the ultras for a 05 Crossfire, but the website does. I was confident that they would be fine installing, but I wasn't taking any chances. It's funny to see this thread today after spending over an hour looking for head lite info on here yesterday afternoon. Now it seems like the harder part is going to be to get those clips off and install the new ones. I opened the hood last nite, but it was too dark and cold to be
messing with them.
BenderG,

if you navigate the Sylvania Automotive page, you'll find a rebate for $10 per pair good through Jan 31, 2008!

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...es/default.htm

Old 01-18-2008, 04:01 PM

Thanks for the info, now I just wish I had bought the two pairs on seperate reciepts. Has anyone else installed them yet? If so, hi or lo beams or both as I plan on doing?

Old 01-19-2008, 12:18 AM
Forum Regular

Thinking of switching to Super White bulbs? Might want to read this first:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...good/good.html

The section on HID conversion kits is pretty interesting too...

Old 01-19-2008, 09:28 AM
Cool Re: Silverstar ULTRA bulbs

Originally Posted by BenderJG
Thanks for the info, now I just wish I had bought the two pairs on seperate reciepts. Has anyone else installed them yet? If so, hi or lo beams or both as I plan on doing?
I installed high and low beams on the drivers side last night and am posting pics below. The light is noticably "whiter" and a bit (10%?) brighter, though it doesn't really show in the photos. While driving at night with low beams (good weather) the low beams reach farther, though not by a whole lot. The high beams, however allow me to see into the next universe. This at first concerned me: does it dazzle oncoming drivers too much? I enlisted some help from my son (he's ALWAYS willing to drive the xFire!) and had him approach me on a flat, level piece of road while I sat stock still with no traffic in sight. The results of this little experiment was that apparently due to the design of our projectors, even the high beams "cut off" on a line about 3' high and parallel to the road surface, producing LESS of a dazzling effect than a '95 Caprice (with low beams only) I went by 5 minutes later. How cool is that?

Conclusion: SilverStar Ultras work better than the Phillips stock bulbs but the real gain seems most apparent when used for high beams.

After reading the article by Dan Stearn, I ruminated about the different filament formulas I have used over the years. 100% Tungsten provides the greatest lumens/watt. But it is very brittle and hence short-lived. When you start to add Rhenium to the mix, even 3% to 5%, you make it much more pliable and less prone to "boil-off" at temperature at the cost of some lumen output. There are some esoteric mixes that I am not familiar with but have read about and I am sure these fomulas are closely guarded trade secrets for the individual manufacturers. The reason that "halogen-filled" bulbs are in use is that the halogen gas promotes recombination of boiled-off metal back onto the filament itself, thus extending lifetime.
To finish this line, I've been using Sylvania Silverstar (blue shield) bulbs in my Tahoe for 3 years (41,000 miles) now, and haven't seen anything that compares.

I spoke to "Technical Consultant" from Orram-Sylvania a week ago, see my prior post in this thread.

Last edited by maxcichon; 01-24-2008 at 07:14 PM.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Phillips VisionPlus, bought at my local Costo for around $30 for pair on sale with coupon., cost $100 with taxes to change all.

Maybe imaginary, have them on my Rav4, but I do see beter at night, much sharper

The stock bulbs on Crossfire are Phillips.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:11 PM

Maxcichon, if you've never seen better than this have you never driven a car with Xenon HID's? I had a 03 350z I drove for a while before I made the decision to get the 06 350z that came with the Xenon HID's. The 03 350z had Silverstar Halogen's. I can confidently say the light was WAY more white than the Silverstars about easily 4-500% brighter. My beater Civic used Silverstars all it's life and I hated those headlights. Since the Silverstar Ultra H7 is roughly $50, why not spend $30 more and get a true Xenon HID setup and really be able to see?

Old 01-22-2008, 10:08 AM
Smile Re: Silverstar ULTRA bulbs

Originally Posted by dyezak
Maxcichon, if you've never seen better than this have you never driven a car with Xenon HID's? I had a 03 350z I drove for a while before I made the decision to get the 06 350z that came with the Xenon HID's. The 03 350z had Silverstar Halogen's. I can confidently say the light was WAY more white than the Silverstars about easily 4-500% brighter. My beater Civic used Silverstars all it's life and I hated those headlights. Since the Silverstar Ultra H7 is roughly $50, why not spend $30 more and get a true Xenon HID setup and really be able to see?
Yes I have seen better. All HID's. There are, if you hadn't noticed, quite a number of folks that don't want to install any aftermarket accessories on their cars. Or don't have the technical skills required. I am of the first group.

At what temp do the Xenon HID's emit? Is it a true white? I detest any tinge of blue in a car I am driving or approaching. When driving a car with a blue-tinted headlight, it seems almost mono-chromatic to me, like an old computer monitor. It also seems to make yellow and orange highway signs (reflective type) less noticable.

These work for me.
Thanks for your input.

Quick Reply: Silverstar ULTRA bulbs