Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Tail light tint???

Old 04-27-2007, 08:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tail light tint???

I just got my tail light tint and put them on and there are an a$$ load of bubbles that wont come out. Does anyone have a trick to putting these on or getting bubbles out??? I might have to order some more and redo it.

Old 04-27-2007, 08:14 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Tail light tint???

Usually the trick with any tinting material or stickers is to use water with mild soap (one small drop for a whole bucket) and wet the surface completely before putting your tinting material on. then using a sponge or other squeegee... work out from the center to move the air and water out from under the material.

Hope that helps.

Old 04-27-2007, 11:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used a mix of rubbing alcohol and water about 4 oz to 16 oz of water soak both sides and work from center out till all the bubbles are out, you will have too re-soak the out side till all bubbles are out.
Why do you need to buy new ones? Mine came off and can be re-done with no problem.

Old 04-27-2007, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by acrispy1
Why do you need to buy new ones? Mine came off and can be re-done with no problem.
Humm... I will try it but the instructions said that after they cure for 30 mins that they could not be reapplied.

Old 04-27-2007, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by tjames.bell@gmail.com
Humm... I will try it but the instructions said that after they cure for 30 mins that they could not be reapplied.
You might have different type of tint...

Old 04-28-2007, 12:37 AM
Forum Regular

i'm using the 3m rear film, it isn't tint per say. it has no glue and peels right off for easy realignment. i use a little squeegee to remove bubbles and stretch it to fit. they sell on ebay for about $20 - $30 a set.

Old 04-28-2007, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by nascarhq
i'm using the 3m rear film, it isn't tint per say. it has no glue and peels right off for easy realignment. i use a little squeegee to remove bubbles and stretch it to fit. they sell on ebay for about $20 - $30 a set.
Sounds like that's what i used...

Old 04-28-2007, 01:22 AM

If you got bubbles, you could get a small pin...put a hole in the middle off the bubble and use a credit card to smooth it out.

Old 05-09-2007, 09:44 PM
Lightbulb Re: Tail light tint???

just put on my tail tints, and i get waves up on top of the light...
how can i repair this? any tricks. i'll post pics later tomorrow...

Old 05-10-2007, 10:53 PM

You can also use a heat gun. It will allow the tint to stick to the tailight better. I had to turn my fog lights on in order for the tint to stick on those since the edges need to dry completely so they can stick.

Old 05-14-2007, 08:15 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nascarhq
I bought the tail light and rear side marker tint a while back off e-bay and started to put it on this weekend. I ran into a problem , the side marker light tint don't even come close to covering the whole light and the tail light one's really are too small also. I see here you said stretch to fit, just how much will it stretch? I'm sure that the side marker lights won't stretch enough to fit, there's almost a 1/4 of an inch showing. I didn't apply it, I just sat in over the lights to check the fit. I guess I'll contact the e-bay store I got it from and see if I can get another set. Did anybody else have the problem of the tint not being cut to the right size?

Old 05-15-2007, 06:48 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Steve Hellums
I bought the tail light and rear side marker tint a while back off e-bay and started to put it on this weekend. I ran into a problem , the side marker light tint don't even come close to covering the whole light and the tail light one's really are too small also. I see here you said stretch to fit, just how much will it stretch? I'm sure that the side marker lights won't stretch enough to fit, there's almost a 1/4 of an inch showing. I didn't apply it, I just sat in over the lights to check the fit. I guess I'll contact the e-bay store I got it from and see if I can get another set. Did anybody else have the problem of the tint not being cut to the right size?
the 1/4 in. would be stretchable on the bigger rear piece, but i don't think the small side marker piece would have that much stretch in it. good luck with em'.

Old 05-16-2007, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by MMZ_TimeLord
Usually the trick with any tinting material or stickers is to use water with mild soap (one small drop for a whole bucket) and wet the surface completely before putting your tinting material on. then using a sponge or other squeegee... work out from the center to move the air and water out from under the material.

Hope that helps.
Agree. I used soap with my dad's Jeep tail lights when he asked me to. It works well so I used it one mine to put tints!

Old 07-29-2007, 10:13 PM

You need to strip off that crap and have your taillights (side markers, etc) painted black. It so cool and more affordable. There are no bubbles to worry or complain about. LMK if you're interested. A friend and I do the painting and guarantee our craftsmanship. Check out my taillights.

Cya,
Chas.