Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Replacement body parts & body kits

Old 01-21-2010, 08:22 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Replacement body parts & body kits

I have found a company that will work with us to make body kits and body pieces. They can be made of fiberglass or polyurethane. CF is possible but will be very expensive.

The body kit will fit both SRT and NA Crossfires. There is also a mini spoiler for the retractable wing as an option.

The base kit is 4 pcs: front bumper cover, rear bumper cover and right and left side skirts.

I will have to order 10 kits to get the fiberglass and cost should be $950

The polyurethane requires 25 kits and cost should be $1379

The rear spoiler is fiberglass and cost about $379

Prices do not include S&H which should be around $100 in the continental US

The parts will come primed but unpainted and may require slight adjustment but will be direct bolt-on replacements.

I used the attached pictures to establish a base point. Changing designs might affect pricing slightly. The front cover is a direct copy of the SRT6 with small "winglets" at each side. The rear has horizontal diffusers built in. The side skirts are modified SLK 32 skirts. The pictures are from forum member cars. I am not sure who owns the white one with the mini spoiler.

With parts getting harder to find (SRT bumper covers!) this may be viable alternative. I am trying to get an idea of the level of interest before I put out the money it will take to make this happen.

reardiffuser.jpg
directfrontwinglets.jpg

slkstylesideskirt.jpg

rearviewspoilerlip.jpg

rearspoilerlip.jpg

Old 01-21-2010, 08:58 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Replacement body parts & body kits

Karl, you read my mind sir.

I was actually about to post a thread seeing if we could collectively petition an existing large tuner company (Vorsteiner, etc) to reproduce our stock SRT bumper, with maybe only a slight variation to prevent copyright infringement. Although, seeing as Chrysler can't even pay its suppliers to produce their own factory service parts, it's unlikely they'd have spare cabbage to take us to court. The barely even acknowledge that we Crossfire owners exist.... even with our efforts to yell at their communications page on Facebook.

I think polyurethane would be the best as far as consistency in design, and being as close to factory as possible. Still, I love the low price point of the fiberglass. CF is completely unnecessary in this situation, as this group buy would be great for most people trying to "back up" their stock look. I'd hazard to say most folks won't leave the CF unpainted, so aside from you personally knowing it was high-dollar CF, the average passerby would never notice.

I think there should be an option for the SRT bumper without the winglets. Just a simple, factory reproduction for the guys that aren't all that into sideskirts. Maybe offer the winglets (seperately) so each owner could affix them to the reproduction bumper if they so chose, and it would leave a virgin SRT bumper available for direct replacement for otherwise stock vehicles.

Personally (and noone else may agree with me) but I think the below bumper is absolutely HOT.

44-e2190c496f20604988d56e4bfdb0394c.jpg

It provides a bit deeper "chin" to the car, setting it apart from your 'standard' Crossfire... all while looking factory (a huge plus). IMO, the best custom add-ons don't scream "I'm custom!!!"

The large openings look very aggressive. I think we could EASILY generate ten, maybe twenty fiberglass orders for the above bumper I posted. In fact, I would be the first one, cash in-hand if we could get it below $500 each. I think it looks absolutely awesome.

So... factory repros of the SRT bumper and the Crossfire factory rear bumper, and fiberglass winglets (front and rear) built separately so the owner could choose to add them, or leave them off. I think this would yield the biggest overall interest. I see no reason why 25 orders wouldn't fill quickly.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:10 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

What's a Crossfire doing in Korea?
Is that where the parts are coming from?

If I needed a bumper I would opt for one without the winglets. Not for me.
Thanks for looking out for us SIX.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:12 PM

john john young john, carbon fiber is the bomb diggity!!!! against that white paint you would never let paint get close to it!

Old 01-21-2010, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by tighed1
What's a Crossfire doing in Korea?
Is that where the parts are coming from?

If I needed a bumper I would opt for one without the winglets. Not for me.
Thanks for looking out for us SIX.
That's forum member xfirekorea's car, he lives there... Pretty sure the parts are coming from Cali.

Agreed totally on the winglets (front)... not for me either. At least, not sharp enough to muck up a potential mass reproduction of the lovely SRT bumper.

I'm still lobbying for the drift bumper I posted above... Been dreaming about that bumper for over a year now.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
john john young john, carbon fiber is the bomb diggity!!!! against that white paint you would never let paint get close to it!
Yeah but an entire black snout wouldn't look too hot... it's a car, not a panda.

You know my feelings on CF.... I freaking love it but I think it wouldn't be worth complicating matters in this particular situation.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:33 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Not bad but your front bumper and spoilers choise needs improvement. I will see if I can post something better.

Last edited by psuperti; 01-25-2010 at 07:03 PM.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:51 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Old 01-22-2010, 10:18 AM

I just noticed that the drift style bumper I posted above doesn’t have any provisions for fog lights.

Never fear, I thought of a solution. Many of the high-end cars like Brabus, Porsche (TechArt, specifically) and others use a small strip of lights (example can be seen here: http://robson.m3rlin.org/cars/wp-con...art_1_2006.jpg ).These aren’t like the LEDS on the Audi vehicles; rather, they only have four/five lights encased in a plastic housing. They look especially mean at night, I’ve seen several in person over the last year of so and I love them.

I did a lousy photoshop on the bumper I posted above, with the Brabus/TechArt style lights added in for full OEM function. These can be purchased all over the place, and could be added in by the individual. I also removed the racing graphics/sponsors from the original picture for a cleaner look, to give you guys a better idea of the look I’m shooting for. Bottom line, I want folks to see this bumper and think “wow, what a classy vehicle” (even more than they already do) instead of “wow, what punk kid is driving that?” because the bumper is garish and has the ‘racer boy’ feel to it.

Also, if you’ll look closely at the photo, there appears to be a very subtle, non-obtrusive lip at the bottom. Not sure if it’s carbon or the unpainted urethane plastic, but it looks sharp and might even provide some functional downforce without impeding with the overall drag coefficient. Subtle is my buzz-word… We know it’s modded, others think it’s possible it came from the factory like that. To me, that is perfection.

Think we could get ten, in fiberglass, like this one?

Last edited by JHM2K; 01-22-2010 at 10:22 AM.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm interested. especially in the rear spoiler. I would also like to see if it would be possible to do the front cover that JHM2K is talking about. I think that our fog lights might fit in the outer corner, or maybe in the center bumper grille.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:46 PM

bump....bump...

Old 01-24-2010, 11:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I could go either way with this, I wasn't going to get involved in this thread, but not a day doesn't go by where I don't wish I had skirts on my car. Seeing the last group buy explode does not do much for confidence and I see there are not many from the last group buy willing to take the chance again. As far as fiberglass goes, my vote is for poly and poly only. Fiber is just too ridged and frankly too big of a risk for another group buy. There is too much human involvement with fiberglass and or it takes a lot to fit. Anyone who is going to go $1000 into this trust me you will and to take the extra $400 step for poly. At the end of the day a kit of this magnitude in poly $1400 is a very fair price. Just be happy your not paying brabus or lonsier kit prices.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by jonnyangel04
There is too much human involvement with fiberglass and or it takes a lot to fit. Anyone who is going to go $1000 into this trust me you will and to take the extra $400 step for poly. At the end of the day a kit of this magnitude in poly $1400 is a very fair price. Just be happy your not paying brabus or lonsier kit prices.
Amen to that.

I'm shocked there hasn't been more feedback on this thread...

Does no one else think the white bumper I posted looks decent? I think it's a superb blend of factory flow, with just enough of a tweak to let you know it's not stock.

But if my idea absolutely falls flat, at the very least I think everyone would unilaterally agree that we need a new source for SRT bumpers, direct factory replicas.

Again, it's not like Chrysler is paying attention to us.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by JHM2K
Amen to that.

I'm shocked there hasn't been more feedback on this thread...

Does no one else think the white bumper I posted looks decent? I think it's a superb blend of factory flow, with just enough of a tweak to let you know it's not stock.

But if my idea absolutely falls flat, at the very least I think everyone would unilaterally agree that we need a new source for SRT bumpers, direct factory replicas.

Again, it's not like Chrysler is paying attention to us.
i think its timing john. start of the new yr everyones pocket is tight and most want to know the cost before speaking out. face it if you know it costs 2 grand for a bumper then you wouldnt worry about input cause you wont ever buy one. 500$ and everyone speaks up!
i have been looking at your bumper and all i see is audi. cant get my head around it but diff strokes ya know?

Old 01-25-2010, 10:02 AM
Senior Member/Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the bumper on the white car with the hacked off roof (not a fan of that car). Like JHM2K says "it doesn't scream custom". I am not a fan of those lights though, keep it simple. Karl the rear is ok, I'd have to see a full on shot of it.
Pat

Old 01-25-2010, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by patpur
I like the bumper on the white car with the hacked off roof (not a fan of that car). Like JHM2K says "it doesn't scream custom". I am not a fan of those lights though, keep it simple.
Glad you like the bumper man... I also agree on the car as a whole. But the bumper is WIN. And I'm 50/50 on the lights, it was simply a suggestion because we all know that if the bumper was marketed without lights, people would drown puppies LOL ... I'm definitely open for suggestions though.

Steve, I agree with what you posted. Although I'm not really seeing the Audi connection. I know they have openings beside the lower grille, but they're a bit wider and shorter in height. The ones on the white bumper above appear to simply be larger versions of our current foglight shape.

Old 01-25-2010, 04:59 PM

I am not sure if people noticed the appx pricing in the first post?

Also, I met with another vendor in the business for over 13 years. They do a lot of specialty stuff for car companies and custom houses. I met them through a business acquaintance.

They do pieces in a fiberglass/composite mix that is very durable yet inexpensive. We had a nice discussion and will come up with some design studies I will present on the forum. We want to keep them close to stock but very Euro. The look will be as though it came from the factory (only nicer).

I appreciate some of the design suggestions and actually was headed a similar direction. Trying to get a little Ferrari and Lambo influence to front, rear and side.

I am surprised at the lack of response to my request. I can only think it has to do with the previous "experience" with side skirts...

If this happens, it will be mostly an investment by myself. I have worked to build a good reputation on this and the CICCI forums. I would like to thank the hundreds of members who have bought badges, grilles, overlays, sills etc. and will not do anything that would damage that trust.

I just need to find out if there really is a market for these things. Every time I talk to a potential supplier they tell me "....there is NO Crossfire aftermarket demand..."

I don't believe that, but I need support to convince them (and me a bit as well if I am going to invest thousands of $ in this).

I am seeking less opinions (we can save them for the design stage) and more of a feeling for demand for these type products.

Thanks again...

Old 01-25-2010, 05:54 PM

Karl, thank you for your willingness to pursue this. Hopefully we can generate enough interest. I think it has little to do with any trust issues regarding you, as you've proven to be one of the most upstanding members on this forum.

As for design, I'll simply bite my lip for a moment and see where you guys are headed with the design. Based on your brief description, it sounds perfect. Euro-look, stock function and subtlety. I'm anxious to see the beta sketches

Keep us posted man, I don't want to see this die.

Thanks again for sticking your neck out for us...

Old 01-25-2010, 07:13 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by psuperti
Not bad but your front bumper and spoilers choise needs improvement. I will see if I can post something better.
This is the spoiler I was looking for. I know its similar to the one posted here. But its way better looking while the spoiler is down.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:05 PM

Bump...

Karl,

Has your guy performed any sketches or anything of that nature?

Quick Reply: Replacement body parts & body kits