Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Broken Headlight Adjustment Knob

Old 04-06-2010, 05:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Headlight Adjustment ****

I recently installed some new HIDs and when trying to adjust the height of the low beams, I noticed that my passenger adjustment **** was broken. When I twist it to aim the light higher, it goes to a certain point then makes a loud click and the whole light drops and points to the ground. Has anyone had this problem, or does anyone know how to fix it?

Old 04-06-2010, 06:22 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: Broken Headlight Adjustment ****

I have opened up several lights and your unit is dead, broken screw asembly. Fix is a real stretch, suggest that you look to ebay for spare light assembly. I had plans on modifying the contents but gave it up as the cases can not be opened without damage. Woody

Old 04-06-2010, 06:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Broken Headlight Adjustment ****

We had the same problem while it was under warranty. I would like to know what causes the failure on a part that is rarely touched.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:47 PM

I don't know, it looks like the bolt head just cam loose though. I can pull it out and then push it back in, but I don't know. I looked on ebay and no headlight assemblies..... maybe I'll get brave and tear it apart.... maybe.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:27 AM

When you pulled it out, Was the "ball" on the end still attached or did it break off? If the "ball" is still there, You may be ok still! I had the same thing happen on my drivers side when I tried to adjust the light up too high. I heard a loud pop and the light dropped to the lowest setting. From then on, turning it would bring it up some and then drop it down again. I figured I broke the whole thing!
I was about to buy a new headlamp assembly and when a friend told me that if the ball was still there, It should still work and to just see if the rod will pull out so i can look for the ball on the tip.The ball was still theree, So I went and pushed it back in and kept turning it in the direction that aims the light DOWN. Once it started getting tight, I was worried but figured..If its already broke ??? So I kept turning slowly and..Finally..A loud pop! I can only assume that pop was the ball end seating itself in the adjustment mechanism.
Now it works fine again. I just have to remember not to try to adjust it too high again. As it turns out, I didn't need to re-aim the headlamps anyway. It was an improperly seated bulb that was causing the light out put to appear like it was aimed to low. I've since gone to 6000K HIDS and love the light output now! Best of luck!!

Last edited by SilverWolf; 04-07-2010 at 09:33 AM.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:57 PM
Talking Re: Broken Headlight Adjustment ****

Thanks a bunch!!!!! i got hids and one side wouldnt project properly was gonna buy new driver side headlight cause of the adjuster not working i followed the steps u did and it popped and then it went up Thanks a lot now i can finally see and night

Old 10-20-2010, 09:22 PM

You rule SilverWolf!
I took my '05 roadster in for the PA Inspection and was told that it wouldn't pass because the RH headlamp adjustment was broken and the whole assembly would need replaced with OEM unit at $700+. First thing I did was locate one on eBay for $225 but then I did some research on this forum and found this thread.
I called the service advisor back and told him I found one on eBay but asked if he could have the technician try something first and then I read him your posting. He called back later and said that it worked and the technician said thanks for teaching him something new!
I would rather pay a couple extra shop labor hours than pay for an
unnecessary (and expensive) part.

Old 10-21-2010, 04:33 AM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went through the same ordeal when I installed my HIDs a month or so ago, too. Ended up fixing it on accident in the same way described above, thought I was the only one with the problem, though. I was definitely not happy at first, but was defnitely relieved when I found a way to get it to work again.

Just goes to show that a little trial and error can go a long way.

Old 04-01-2011, 02:08 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

This thread just saved me from spending big money on new headlights. It took me less than 45 seconds, and now both headligths are pointing straight ahead, instead of the ground.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:07 PM

Glad to see this has helped some people!

Old 04-02-2011, 12:36 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverWolf
Glad to see this has helped some people!
Quit screwing around. You're the man and you know it. Thank's for your post.

Why so few posts?

Old 04-07-2011, 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by grip grip
Quit screwing around. You're the man and you know it. Thank's for your post.

Why so few posts?
I just don't have the time to spend on message boards like I used to. So I contribute where I can, When I can. There are some really great people on here and tons of information if you have the time to search through it all.

Plus, who has time to post anything these days, When you've got a Crossfire in the driveway just begging to be driven!

Old 04-07-2011, 08:54 AM
Received 201 Likes on 153 Posts

I have a lh head light with one of the conners broken, maybe the adjustment don't know here are some pic.
maybe some of the parts can help,, i was going to take it to my friend who has a body shop and see if he has ever taken them apart. jim

Attached Images
Old 04-07-2011, 09:35 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

People replace a bulb wrongly by not seating it correctly and then try to adjust the headlights.
With such a large error to correct the adjustment cannot compensate and the adjustment screw is damaged.
If the bulb is seated correctly there is no need to touch that screw if the lights were aimed satisfactorily before the swap.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:44 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
People replace a bulb wrongly by not seating it correctly and then try to adjust the headlights.
With such a large error to correct the adjustment cannot compensate and the adjustment screw is damaged.
If the bulb is seated correctly there is no need to touch that screw if the lights were aimed satisfactorily before the swap.
need to listen to 180....shouldn't have to make any adjustments unless the car has been wrecked or something...

Old 10-24-2013, 02:58 PM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ah, ha! the ball was on the end of my adjuster screw! Time to re-attempt seating the bulb. Looks like it went in deeper this time, have to wait until night time to see if that worked. Super great info here! Really great patience for the slow learners too! From to

Old 03-14-2015, 08:53 AM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverWolf
When you pulled it out, Was the "ball" on the end still attached or did it break off? If the "ball" is still there, You may be ok still! I had the same thing happen on my drivers side when I tried to adjust the light up too high. I heard a loud pop and the light dropped to the lowest setting. From then on, turning it would bring it up some and then drop it down again. I figured I broke the whole thing!
I was about to buy a new headlamp assembly and when a friend told me that if the ball was still there, It should still work and to just see if the rod will pull out so i can look for the ball on the tip.The ball was still theree, So I went and pushed it back in and kept turning it in the direction that aims the light DOWN. Once it started getting tight, I was worried but figured..If its already broke ??? So I kept turning slowly and..Finally..A loud pop! I can only assume that pop was the ball end seating itself in the adjustment mechanism.
Now it works fine again. I just have to remember not to try to adjust it too high again. As it turns out, I didn't need to re-aim the headlamps anyway. It was an improperly seated bulb that was causing the light out put to appear like it was aimed to low. I've since gone to 6000K HIDS and love the light output now! Best of luck!!
SilverWolf are you still on the boards? I suspect this is a clockwise rotation to turn "in" the adjuster till you hear the pop?

Old 03-14-2015, 09:19 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by KDW4Him
SilverWolf are you still on the boards? I suspect this is a clockwise rotation to turn "in" the adjuster till you hear the pop?
Check his posts, he sold his car in September 2012. So I guess he isn't.

Old 03-14-2015, 08:37 PM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by KDW4Him
Yup quite simple, all is good now!

Old 11-16-2015, 06:38 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My passenger side headlight aim was way too low, but the adjuster did not work. Log on to the Forum and there was the answer! I was able to screw it in and POP it back into place! FANTASTIC, Thanks to the guys who figure this stuff out. Forum 2, Dealer 0.

Quick Reply: Broken Headlight Adjustment Knob