Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Easy way to replace the marker lights inside the headlight cluster

Old 08-15-2011, 01:23 PM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up Easy way to replace the marker lights inside the headlight cluster

I posted a HELP asking for ideas on replacing the "FRONT MARKER LIGHT" inside the headlight cluster.
Being the impatient person I am I found an easy way to replace the lights. Here is what I did, I'll add photos later.
I found that you cannot reach the socket by hand and I did not have long enough needle nose pliers. What I do have are lots of tools!!! as it turns out if you have a 10MM open end wrench that is at least 8" long you can reach under the metal bracket on front left and right side headlights with the open end wrench. It fits loosely over the socket, turn it 1/4 turn counter clockwise and it will pop right out. from there you can easily get to the light and replace it. Once you put the new bulb in the socket simply put it back in place and using the same wrench twist it clockwise 1/4 turn and your done.

This took me less that 5 minuets to replace both lights. Hope this helps someone else. These lights are a pain too get to.

The following 4 users liked this post by Buttugly:
abergero (12-04-2021), JonB (12-14-2020), M60A3Driver (05-26-2023), VaderMarine (02-14-2022)
Old 08-15-2011, 03:53 PM
Received 343 Likes on 303 Posts
Default Re: Easy way to replace the marker lights inside the headlight cluster

Thanks for sharing, great info.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanx for the tip, they can really be helpful.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:31 PM

Thanks for taking time out to pass along some wisdom and know how. Good man!!

Old 08-16-2011, 12:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Buttugly
I posted a HELP asking for ideas on replacing the "FRONT MARKER LIGHT" inside the headlight cluster.
Being the impatient person I am I found an easy way to replace the lights. Here is what I did, I'll add photos later.
I found that you cannot reach the socket by hand and I did not have long enough needle nose pliers. What I do have are lots of tools!!! as it turns out if you have a 10MM open end wrench that is at least 8" long you can reach under the metal bracket on front left and right side headlights with the open end wrench. It fits loosely over the socket, turn it 1/4 turn counter clockwise and it will pop right out. from there you can easily get to the light and replace it. Once you put the new bulb in the socket simply put it back in place and using the same wrench twist it clockwise 1/4 turn and your done.

This took me less that 5 minuets to replace both lights. Hope this helps someone else. These lights are a pain too get to.
Pictures please. I'm Visual kind a Guy.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i found if you spray a little silicone on the rubber seals on the socket it works a little easier

Old 03-06-2012, 05:21 PM

Just used this! Thank you!

Old 04-26-2012, 04:06 PM

I also found I could get them out with an old "ignition pliers" basically a very tiny slipjoint pliers and a right angle pair of needlenose pliers.

The following users liked this post:
×Crossfire1× (04-05-2023)
Old 09-01-2013, 08:04 AM

You sir, Are a genius, THANK YOU!

Old 11-05-2013, 09:18 AM

Thanks a bunch for this tip.
I didn't have a long 10mm so I used a 3/8" and a Philips head screwdriver for leverage through the box end (other end) of the wrench.

Old 11-10-2013, 03:29 PM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts

And a slight dab of vasi on the gasket helps it slip in real easy. I tried without the vasi but it was binding too much. Def use a dab of vasi, it'll go so much easier.

Old 06-07-2015, 10:36 AM
Forum Regular
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

How about the side marker lights at the rear of the vehicle, behind the removable panels on the coupe? Is there a shortcut way to replace these? Thanks...peace

Old 06-07-2015, 11:06 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Yes, just push the lens from the flat end and the assembly will pop out.

Old 06-08-2015, 08:41 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Yes, just push the lens from the flat end and the assembly will pop out.
Push towards the inside of the trunk? or Push towards the outside from the inside of the trunk? Thanks..peace

Old 06-08-2015, 08:53 AM

The plastic marker light ( front or rear ) is secured into the plastic panel with a spring on the pointy end. Just push the flat end towards the pointy end and the light will pop out.

Old 06-12-2015, 07:20 PM
Forum Regular

The plastic marker light ( front or rear ) is secured into the plastic panel with a spring on the pointy end. Just push the flat end towards the pointy end and the light will pop out.
I apologize ahead of time, but, when you,re referring to a pointy end, I am not sure I follow. Would it be too much to ask for a picture for reference? Thanks in advance. Plastic parts scare me somewhat and I truly don't want to break it....Peace

Old 06-13-2015, 07:29 AM

No problem. Here is a picture :

CrossfireForum.org - ala_xfire's Album: misc pictures - Picture

Old 06-16-2015, 01:44 PM
Forum Regular

Thanks for the pictures, I would have broken at least one without seeing them....peace

Old 01-26-2016, 12:53 AM

The bulbs you can see, but can't twist... I just used an allen key and a screwdriver for leverage. It took me several tries before I thought of the allen wrench. Perfect shape for this space.

The following users liked this post:
×Crossfire1× (04-05-2023)
Old 01-26-2016, 08:59 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

George, mods to the site seem to take your link to the general photos and not your pictures. There are no pics of the side markers in that misc. photo site of yours, you must have them somewhere else.

Quick Reply: Easy way to replace the marker lights inside the headlight cluster