General This section is threads for discussion that is not related to the Crossfire or other cars. It can be about sports, movies etc. - But NO POLITICS please

Internet Chat Support

Old 01-17-2009, 08:50 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Internet Chat Support

<rant>
How I ever let myself think that it will ever come out well when I get onto a customer support web site and choose "chat"....

A couple days ago I tried to get some support for some electronics. Wow. I wouldn't trust the person on the other end of the line with picking the right colored shoe laces for loafers... The first words out of his mouth was a line from the manual that I already had up on my screen when I called. Then when I suggested he ask around to see if anyone there might know (what he didn't) and he comes back with a disclaimer to the question he made up at the beginning of the call and had already been told was not the question.

So I sent email to the customer support address with a question and they wrote back and said that my question could only be answered by telephone support.

I swear I don't know why they don't just take down the frikken web sites and close all the phone lines and admit they don't have a clue. They could save a lot of money paying the people and sell the products for less. Or (heaven forbid) make them better so they don't need support...

But no, I didn't have enough - I had to go onto the Comcast web site when my McAfee Security Suite mysteriously went +i+s up. First the Comcast support people told me that even though I was on the Comcast site trying to download the Comcast courtesy copy of McAfee and was being asked for my Comcast pw, I had to call / chat with McAfee because the error message came from a McAfee page (that Comcast redirected me to)... The guy flicked me like a booger.

OK, I'll play - let's go to the McAfee site.... Sheesh. I felt like a pawn in a corporate war between Comcast, McAfee and (who woulda thunk it) Semantec! Billy_Anne tells me the reason McAfee won't take my Comcast password is because I have Semantec Anti Virus installed on my computer. she tells me the only way to get the free McAfee is to uninstall Semantec, uninstall my existing McAfee firewall (which has all my carefully crafted exceptions), stand on my head with my Crossfire pointed West, and THEN download McAfee while I chant something in Farsi....

Holy Crap! That wasn't enough. She cut and pasted some drivel to the chat window that blew by so fast I had to scroll back 5 pages to find the beginning of it. Unbelievable!

And the end of it, I was no closer to an answer than when I started...

Anyway, I snuck up on the download from a different page and it finally came down (but absolutely refused to let me leave Semantec installed) and wiped out my firewall settings when it installed itself.

Too bad I can't reach the trigger of my 30-ought-six with the barrel in my mouth - sure would feel good compared to this $h!+.

And to think I passed up sleeping out Friday night (it was 3-below-zero). That sounds like a party compared to these 1-800-numbers.

And did you hear who's going to be building Jaguars...?

I'm starting to feel like my grandfather... Kids these days....

</rant>

No need to reply. I just needed some wind to pi$$ into.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:14 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Internet Chat Support

Sheesh.

Nice write up. I would have expected at least ONE misspelled word. I know I would have a few from the shaking!

BTW- you're an engineer-use your toe to trip the trigger!

JK. I feel your pain.