General This section is threads for discussion that is not related to the Crossfire or other cars. It can be about sports, movies etc. - But NO POLITICS please

Another Crossfire Bites The Dust

Old 02-13-2010, 02:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Another Crossfire Bites The Dust

I am glad she is ok and was smart enough to get out of the car. However I think the car held up alright considering it was hit at 70mph. Looking at the driver's seat in the pictures, she might have lived if she could not have gotten out of the car.

Old 02-13-2010, 03:05 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

they are built very solid in deed...I think she woud've been find except for some glass flying...and a soiled seat...

Old 02-16-2010, 03:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still can't get out of my car fast. Maybe a train coming at you doing 70 would motivate me a little.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:18 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 482 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by VALKRYDERGUY
Well I looked up Jill and found her number.
I called and spoke to her and her husband for quite awhile tonight.
She has driven the Crossfire all year round for the last 4 years with no issues in the snow.
She had good all season tires on the car and just got it back from a 40,000 mile service a week ago.

She said she got stuck on the tracks at 6:01am and got out of the car quickly after realizing that it was stuck on snow.
She call 911 and reported where the car was in hopes that the railroad could be notified of the situation in time to prevent a crash.
Well in only 3 minutes at 6:04 the speeding 70mph express train hit the car and dragged it down the tracks before coming to a stop.

Jill said as soon as she knew it was gonna be hit she ran in the direction the train was coming from to avoid being near the car fearing debris would more than likely be flying through the air.
She also had a full tank of gas and feared an explosion.
She watched the train as it hit the car and said it was horrible.
After the train stopped the engineer and crew got out and were looking around the wreckage for a body.

They didn't see one and feared that the body was under that train.
Just then Jill approached the engineer and said "I'm OK...I got out before you hit it"
The engineer and crew were relieved that and nobody was killed inside the car.

Jill said for now she doesn't plan to replace the Crossfire with another one but I told her if she has a change of heart to let me know.
OK Jill called me today and is on the hunt for another Black Roadster Ltd.to replace her loss.
Looking for a private owner sale w/less than 40,000 miles and around $18,000 or less.
Must be Autostick and prefers an all black or two tone black/gray interior

She would join the forum but of course it is not working for new members so I'm helping her out here.
Not looking for Dealer sales but private party sales only at this time

Last edited by Valk; 02-16-2010 at 04:41 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:30 PM
FP
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Let her know about Blacklimited's 2007 roadster. Black with the cedar interior, mint.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...nal-owner.html

Last edited by FP; 02-16-2010 at 04:34 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by FP
Let her know about Blacklimited's 2007 roadster. Black with the cedar interior, mint.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...nal-owner.html

edit:
Must be Autostick and prefers an all black or two tone black/gray interior

Old 02-16-2010, 04:48 PM
FP

Maybe I'll sell her mine, and I'll buy Limitedcoupe's..........

Old 02-16-2010, 04:56 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

She would join the forum but of course it is not working for new members so I'm helping her out here.
Gary, there was a new member the other day. Join date was Feb, 2010. Maybe it's working again or working sporadically.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:58 PM
FP

Originally Posted by InfernoRedXfire
Gary, there was a new member the other day. Join date was Feb, 2010. Maybe it's working again or working sporadically.
The list still shows the last member joined 12/09/2009..

Old 02-16-2010, 04:59 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Kern Fischer was the last to join on 12/09

Old 02-16-2010, 05:18 PM

I know what the member joined date list says. It must be broken too. I saw a new member the other day, it was his first post. I'll try to find the thread.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:38 PM
FP

I know what the member joined date list says. It must be broken too. I saw a new member the other day, it was his first post. I'll try to find the thread.
Can I have some of that, that you're drinking?

Old 02-16-2010, 07:08 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FP if your going to sell your car I would like to have some of what your drinking

Old 02-16-2010, 09:36 PM

I have been talking back and forth with Jill and her husband Steve.
Seems like he's a real car buff.

He sent me this email today after a phone call we had.....

Gary,
You haven't really said what you do or like to do other than your crossfire and your enthusiasm for the car. As I said on the phone, I love cars, cars with beautiful lines, stories, history and so on. If you ever get the chance, go to Auburn, Ind. to the ACD museum. Walk through the halls of the design dept, where the drawings are. You will see the lines of the Crossfire, The Crossfire was modeled from those cars, or that era.

We have a few Mustangs and 1 camaro in our collection, Believe it or not, none of which run. The 66 must. was a trade for an engine rebuild I did for a guy. The car was pretty rusty, and over 15yrs of welding new panels in it, it's about like the new 69 camaro body shell you can buy. Just got a 9" rear end for her and the front end is now disk brakes. I also upgraded the frame with 2 torque boxes. I did graber springs to lower it 1". No engine or trans yet. Thinking the 302 that's in the 89.

The 67 Mustang my dad bought brand new. Last restored with many parts before they were available. Slight issue with the frame were the front bumper mounts. Its a 302 block with 289 hipo heads port & polished. Zoomy scatter shield, top loader 4 speed, 390 drive shaft feeding into a 9" dif, lock posi. Front breaks are from a 69 big block stang and the rear are from a 69 F350 truck, the car is done old school. Needs work again. been stored for 12 years. Doors close real nice, Int. is still really nice, but old school.

The 78 Camaro is my sons and mine. A father son project that got put on hold when he decided to go away to school. Soon to be brought back up to getting it going. This one is close. The 89 mustang GT conv, you know the story. Lots of work in the suspension and frame.

The Crossfire we need to keep as her "everyday driver". That's what she wants it as. Its our way of having it as a 2nd car. She loves the car. With the accident, it gave her a chance to rethink the car. Does it still fill you needs, desires and so. The plus are "She loves the car" It still fills the need although a back seat would be nice on some of our trips.

The cons are we just couldn't find anybody who could knows the car, and to be honest, as much as I didn't want her to, we were (are?) looking at replacing it with the truck or an 04 or 05 mustang. Why, because, other than the OBDii, i can do most everything to maintain them. The crossfire I'd need help with and we have found non. Jill says I'm her only mech. And I can fix most anything an a car. But with todays controls, you need the rt tools, tools we can't afford.

With you and the club/forum and the support from it and the Eurocharged Mech. you guys go too, have made it more in favor of the Crossfire.
I'd rather have the crossfire back again, and if we can rethink/afford a SRT who knows.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:47 AM
Life is random...so am I.

Gary.......you da man!

Honestly......you do great things for this site, and CICCI, you organize the hell outta all the events, and reach out to fellow Crossfire members doing whatever you can for them.

Kudos my friend!

Old 02-17-2010, 01:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear Jill had a lucky escape.

If this is the railroad either side the Train Station in Hinsdale then I know it and have walked over them both. I caught a train from Hinsdale into downtown Chicago during a recent business trip. I plan to revisit Hinsdale to take my wife as its a beautiful and picturesque town.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:07 PM

I received an email from Jill today......
She is buying another Black Roadster in a few weeks and going to Duluth, Mn. to pick it up.
She will then be joining CICCI !!!

The pic below was her baby after being hit be a train at 70mph

Old 03-18-2010, 09:40 PM
Forum Regular

Hello to ALL in the club, and thanks for all of your concerns. Yes, I'm the husband of the lady who lost the Crossfire to the train in Hinsdale. She is OK, shook-up, even to this day. She had plenty of time, about 3+ min's from getting out of the car and calling the police for help, and the Express hitting it at 70+ mph. Her phn call to the police upon bailing out of the car and her phn call to me that morning was little more 3 mins. I heard the train braking in the back ground of her call.
What's amazing, is you can still tell it's a crossfire. The car held together great for a 70+ mph train hit. Not sure how other cars would have faired, I know my 89gt convertable mustang would NOT have been reconizable.

Well a BIG thanks to Gary,
I was afraid to buy another crossfire, due to the issue's with the big split, and finding nobody to work on her, or help me with her. Gary got me hooked up with the forum and soon the club. I feel with the support of this forum and the Crossfire Club, I should be able to NOT be so affraid of this car.
We did replace the car, we just got in Monday from Duluth, MN after buying another almost twin from a GREAT Couple who are expected Grand Parents and want a 4 seat converatbe. I drove the twin 8 hours home, hitting 110mph at times. Loved every moment. Handled GREAT....It has michelen pilot PS2's in all 4 corners and Def. out performed the yokamas I had on the previous crossfire.

Well a bit of bad luck, as said earlier thread, I was out in Valparasio, Ind. with the new baby today, Started the car to come home (Top down) and got a PO335 thrown at me. Ouch, didn't see that coming. Reset alarm, started car a couple times and it seems to be gone for now, Fingers crossed. Otherwise the CPS is on schedule for replacement.
Any idea's on new rims, and winter tires anyone? How about the best scan tool to buy? Big THANKS to the forum for help with this alarm ALREADY....Gary, sign me up...LOL

Old 03-18-2010, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by XF redo
Hello to ALL in the club, and thanks for all of your concerns. Yes, I'm the husband of the lady who lost the Crossfire to the train in Hinsdale. She is OK, shook-up, even to this day. She had plenty of time, about 3+ min's from getting out of the car and calling the police for help, and the Express hitting it at 70+ mph. Her phn call to the police upon bailing out of the car and her phn call to me that morning was little more 3 mins. I heard the train braking in the back ground of her call.
What's amazing, is you can still tell it's a crossfire. The car held together great for a 70+ mph train hit. Not sure how other cars would have faired, I know my 89gt convertable mustang would NOT have been reconizable.

I was afraid to buy another crossfire, due to the issue's with the big split, and finding nobody to work on her, or help me with her. Gary got me hooked up with the forum and soon the club. I feel with the support of this forum and the Crossfire Club, I should be able to NOT be so affraid of this car.
We did replace the car, we just got in Monday from Duluth, MN after buying another almost twin from a GREAT Couple who are expected Grand Parents and want a 4 seat converatbe. I drove the twin 8 hours home, hitting 110mph at times. Loved every moment. Handled GREAT....It has michelen pilot PS2's in all 4 corners and Def. out performed the yokamas I had on the previous crossfire.

Well a bit of bad luck, as said earlier thread, I was out in Valparasio, Ind. with the new baby today, Started the car to come home (Top down) and got a PO335 thrown at me. Ouch, didn't see that coming. Reset alarm, started car a couple times and it seems to be gone for now, Fingers crossed. Otherwise the CPS is on schedule for replacement.
Any idea's on new rims, and winter tires anyone? How about the best scan tool to buy? Big THANKS to the forum for help with this alarm ALREADY....Gary, sign me up...LOL
What a great story! Congrats on finding the "new" Crossfire.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by XF redo

Steve,
Welcome to the forum.
I'm so glad that I contacted you after the accident.
I'm sure if I hadn't called you probably would have given up on the Crossfire.
Thanks for the introduction post here and I hope to meet you and Jill very soon

Congratulations on the new Roadster !!

Gary

Last edited by Valk; 03-18-2010 at 11:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Another Crossfire Bites The Dust