General This section is threads for discussion that is not related to the Crossfire or other cars. It can be about sports, movies etc. - But NO POLITICS please

SCAM! Beware!

Old 08-20-2021, 09:49 AM
Received 458 Likes on 221 Posts
Default SCAM! Beware!

I am a member of several auto enthusiast forums, for many different cars. A scam that has begun to permeate the classifieds portions of forums, mainly since FB Marketplace took off, and fewer people have been on traditional forums goes like this:

1. You post a for sale or wanted ad in the classifieds section
2. You get a PM that read something like this:
Hello!! Sir Reach out to Xxxxxx if you're still looking for the <insert part here> he has it for sale here's his mail scammer@gmail.com Goodluck.
3. You respond to the email.
4. They reply back, usually with good details.
5. You send paypal/venmo/Zelle, all excited the good deal.
6. You never receive the part
7. The "seller" ghosts you.
8. You live with the misery, knowing you've been had.

This happens similarly when you go to sell, but usually is more complicated, and involves a paypal chargeback.

DON'T BE A VICTIM!!! Use your head. See if the person has been on the forums for a bit, and see if they have any posts. I got one of these today (not the first on this forum), and thought I'd pass it along.

MODS: Consider adding a minimum post count before newcomers can access the classifieds and/or PM's.

Old 08-20-2021, 12:57 PM
Received 188 Likes on 156 Posts
Default Re: SCAM! Beware!

GREAT INFO, thanks for the info and a very good suggestion!
No matter the situation, there always seems to be the ten percent who will deceive and lie to there own advantage.

Old 08-20-2021, 01:28 PM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by nemiro
I am a member of several auto enthusiast forums, for many different cars. A scam that has begun to permeate the classifieds portions of forums, mainly since FB Marketplace took off, and fewer people have been on traditional forums goes like this:

1. You post a for sale or wanted ad in the classifieds section
2. You get a PM that read something like this:

3. You respond to the email.
4. They reply back, usually with good details.
5. You send paypal/venmo/Zelle, all excited the good deal.
6. You never receive the part
7. The "seller" ghosts you.
8. You live with the misery, knowing you've been had.

This happens similarly when you go to sell, but usually is more complicated, and involves a paypal chargeback.

DON'T BE A VICTIM!!! Use your head. See if the person has been on the forums for a bit, and see if they have any posts. I got one of these today (not the first on this forum), and thought I'd pass it along.

MODS: Consider adding a minimum post count before newcomers can access the classifieds and/or PM's.
I got took for the price of postage by a newish member here with a lot of posts, I got my money back and kept the piece of crap, I’ll have spare ***** or I’ll sell them. Anyone who read my post on this should be able to figure out who they are, so they should feel burnt a little. I shall not be easy on this bum from now on. Forgives and forget is not my motto, nor is turn the other cheek. 🤨

Old 08-20-2021, 02:12 PM
Forum Regular
Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I got took for the price of postage by a newish member here with a lot of posts, I got my money back and kept the piece of crap, I’ll have spare ***** or I’ll sell them. Anyone who read my post on this should be able to figure out who they are, so they should feel burnt a little. I shall not be easy on this bum from now on. Forgives and forget is not my motto, nor is turn the other cheek. 🤨
Could it be the person who is not really a doctor??

Old 08-20-2021, 02:14 PM

But you got scammed by someone who is into Crossfires. Most times, these people have no connection at all to whatever the forum topic is. They just smell opportunity in the form of suckers.

Old 08-20-2021, 04:18 PM
Forum Regular
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I’ll have spare ***** or I’ll sell them.
~ I am wondering why the forum gave me **** for the word k.n.o.b...weird...
~ Thanks for the Beware of scam info...watch the water too.

Old 08-20-2021, 04:36 PM

[QUOTE=Ronman;959941]Could it be the person who is not really a doctor??[/QUOTE
Not at all, you should not get so personal as it is against forum rules and could get you suspended or banned.

Old 08-20-2021, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Fla_Xfire_SRT
~ I am wondering why the forum gave me **** for the word k.n.o.b...weird...
~ Thanks for the Beware of scam info...watch the water too.
Yeah, some peoples writing is really sh!tty and whorible. Life’s a beech at times.
The worst writing is often in the titill.

Old 08-20-2021, 06:56 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I’m confused so you bought a part from someone then you kept it and they still gave you your money back. Now you are complaining about it and saying that you are going to sell the parts off of the part and make money off of your now free part. Sounds like you made out to me. Most online sellers do not return postage and they make you pay postage to return the item. When I think something is not the right fit or isn’t to my standards I send it back. This person sounds pretty nice giving you your money back before returning the part. Sounds like you are the scammer by keeping the part and have the nerve to complain you got it for free. Sounds fishy. Do you do this often? Buy something from someone who is trying to help, complain so you get your money back, then sell the parts? Because last time I checked Crossfire parts are hard to come by and are not always as perfect as we would like.

The following 2 users liked this post by Dezzy317:
GraphiteGhost (08-20-2021), phil alvirez (10-01-2021)
Old 08-20-2021, 07:47 PM
Forum Regular
Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

[QUOTE=onehundred80;959952]
Originally Posted by Ronman
Could it be the person who is not really a doctor??[/QUOTE
Not at all, you should not get so personal as it is against forum rules and could get you suspended or banned.
You are the one who has brought it up at least twice asking people to guess. I think you are in more danger to get suspended/banned.

The following users liked this post:
GraphiteGhost (08-20-2021)
Old 08-20-2021, 09:17 PM
Received 386 Likes on 333 Posts

Some people think they are irreplaceable, contributions & seniority lets them, regardless.....

Old 08-20-2021, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Dezzy317
I’m confused so you bought a part from someone then you kept it and they still gave you your money back. Now you are complaining about it and saying that you are going to sell the parts off of the part and make money off of your now free part. Sounds like you made out to me. Most online sellers do not return postage and they make you pay postage to return the item. When I think something is not the right fit or isn’t to my standards I send it back. This person sounds pretty nice giving you your money back before returning the part. Sounds like you are the scammer by keeping the part and have the nerve to complain you got it for free. Sounds fishy. Do you do this often? Buy something from someone who is trying to help, complain so you get your money back, then sell the parts? Because last time I checked Crossfire parts are hard to come by and are not always as perfect as we would like.
You should learn to understand what went on in a few posts. I was offered the part that partly worked for free, then it was said to work so I paid for it. On viewing it it had been mutilated and I was also told that another feature did not work. Some of it was said on the forum and some in PMs. I never mentioned a name, I do not take ***** from anyone, least of all you with two posts to your name.
I could give it to GG who always wants something for nothing, this part being wanted by him for years. He always pipes up after I suggested he had wrecked a RCM by sheer clumsiness.

Last edited by onehundred80; 08-20-2021 at 09:42 PM.
Old 08-20-2021, 09:54 PM

Sounds like the seller was honest about the part. They told you that part of it did not work. Sounds like it was not a scam but you were overly hopeful. Seems like it is you who wants something free not GG. Pretty sad I have two post and I nailed you right away.

Last edited by Dezzy317; 08-20-2021 at 10:19 PM.
GraphiteGhost (08-21-2021), phil alvirez (10-01-2021)
Old 08-20-2021, 11:21 PM

Sounds like the seller was honest about the part. They told you that part of it did not work. Sounds like it was not a scam but you were overly hopeful. Seems like it is you who wants something free not GG. Pretty sad I have two post and I nailed you right away.
You do not get it do you, I got it first because I wanted to check something on it that did work, what I got had two faults one of which he said he had fixed and now it worked, it did not. The other fault he told me about after I had paid. The inside had been messed around with and the part was toast. You can guess I was pretty p!ssed about it.
He said he had got it as a non working part and it was mine for the cost of postage, then he fixed it and wanted money for it despite not telling me another part of it did not work which he admitted later. I only asked for my money back for the part, for my postage to Canada I got a useless part with two ***** that might be worth something.
l have given parts away and paid the postage as well, sometimes I never even got a thank you. One guy gave me something in return worth much more than what I had given him, the part I gave him was hard to find but not worth more than a couple of dollars.
It takes all sorts to make this world up, some good, some bad and some in between.

Old 08-20-2021, 11:36 PM

Well it sounds like you are all over the place. Hard to follow. Every time I say something you change the story. I just know crossfire parts are not easy to come by. I would be thankful if someone returned my money for a “bad” part without proof.

GraphiteGhost (08-21-2021), phil alvirez (10-01-2021)
Old 08-21-2021, 10:22 AM

Well it sounds like you are all over the place. Hard to follow. Every time I say something you change the story. I just know crossfire parts are not easy to come by. I would be thankful if someone returned my money for a “bad” part without proof.
Do you want proof?
How is this? On the left is the part as it was sent to me and on the right is the part as it should be. He says he never noticed anything wrong when he put it together. One wire later came loose as it was a dry joint.
He never asked for proof as he already knew it was NFG.
Do you want to buy a pair of good *****, I am sure there are some around out there you could buy, just keep looking.
I have nothing more to say, you have embarrassed him enough.

Old 08-21-2021, 06:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine is bigger than yours!!!

Old 08-21-2021, 10:24 PM
Received 386 Likes on 333 Posts

I could give it to GG who always wants something for nothing, this part being wanted by him for years. He always pipes up after I suggested he had wrecked a RCM by sheer clumsiness.

Again??? Twisting the facts! I asked the membership (long ago, like quite a few years) for one defective A/C head that someone didn't need or want to try and fault isolate to help the membership. I would have paid the shipping. No one wanted to part with one that had problems (and I was not going to use mine in case something went wrong ie breaking something during disassembling). I lost no sleep not having the opportunity to tinker, then lost interest on the attempt to find out why they fail so much. Secondly, you accused me of trashing my RCM, it was not a suggestion, it was a direct attack on me, which you seem to wish to excel at et-al. Do the majority forum membership a favor and find something constructive to do instead of getting your jollies fecking with people here. BTW, many others notice your constant exaggerating when your defending your attacks on others with your annoying behavior. I'd ask you not to reply BUT, your never going to stop your consistent inciteful postings (until you wear out your welcome or pass away).

Old 10-19-2021, 05:41 PM

And just moments ago, I got another PM, using an identical scam methodology (and even the wording) as I described in my first post. This was in response to my WTB post on wheels I put up this morning. Admins, I can provide info.

Old 10-19-2021, 07:53 PM

I just read this reply, late but your facts are wrong because I was not clear in my post. I could paste the dialogue back and forth but Imight be accused of doctoring some of it.
I never got the postage back, he said I could make that back by keeping it and selling the kno bs. I missed that bit out, sorry. He knew it was NFG when in error he admitted he had once had it apart.
I see my two favourite fans liked your post, that would be the Wikiman and the Graphite Goose.

Quick Reply: SCAM! Beware!