New England Forum Serving CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, VT

Maine vacation recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 02:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Maine vacation recommendations

Hey everyone. I am from Florida and will be coming up to Maine in early October for some time off with a very close friend of mine. I need some help finding a place to go though. I have looked around online at some bed & breakfasts near the coastline and as soon as I find one I like, I go to Google Streetview and the place (or surrounding neighborhood) isn't what is made out to be online. I am wondering if anyone could help with some recommendations for an off the beaten path, romantic, getaway spot for two. Here is what I am looking for mainly:
  • Ocean possibly within walking distance
  • Away from busy streets and crowded areas
  • Plenty of outdoor areas to explore (parks, hiking trails, rugged shoreline, etc)
We really need a quiet place to relax and enjoy ourselves. Thanks for your help!

Old 08-26-2009, 05:38 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Maine vacation recommendations

Not much near the ocean is left unpopulated. My wife and I always stay in the Wells beach section. There is a section called long sands and short sands though that we stayed at once. It wasn't as busy. After labor day the area pretty much slows down. If you like hiking and trails you would be better off In the White Mountains of New Hampshire, no ocean though. They do have lots of lakes you could stay at though.

Old 08-27-2009, 06:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It depends what area you want to be in. From Kittery to Bar Harbor every foot is spoken for and packed with summer complaints (tourists).

However, if you want to take the time to go up the coast from Bar Harbor you will get breath taking views, no tourists and great rates.

If you decide to go "downeast" from Bar Harbor, let me know and I give you some numbers. If you just go up the coast from Kittery you're on your own - basically it is the same as Massachusetts. In fact, most the license plates are Mass!

Old 08-27-2009, 09:45 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's because we love to run over the border to shop! LOL

Old 08-27-2009, 09:53 PM

The wife and I took a 4-day holiday in Bar Harbor (Bah Hahbah) post labor day so it was after the tourista leave and before the leaf peepers come up. Quite pleasant and not too crowded. Reataurants had walk-up openings and the beaches were all but deserted.

Old 08-28-2009, 02:36 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by 62thunderbird
The wife and I took a 4-day holiday in Bar Harbor (Bah Hahbah) post labor day so it was after the tourista leave and before the leaf peepers come up. Quite pleasant and not too crowded. Reataurants had walk-up openings and the beaches were all but deserted.
Been there and found some really nice spots. One in particular was off the beaten path, south of Kittery and was a bunch of cabins, clean and neat and inexpensive. Sorry but I can't recall the name. After Labor day is great. PM me and we might come up to spend a day. It's only about 1 1/2 Hr. drive from RI where I live. There's some folks from Canada, should be three cars coming from New Brunswick. We are trying to set something up. Check on dates and times in the New England Forum.
Thanks, Rick

Old 08-31-2009, 06:13 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

After Labor Day most of the coast between Portland and Acadia Nat't Park should suit your needs. Personaly I like Penobscott Bay and Saco Bay areas Stonington is a real treat too.

Last edited by Nightrider; 08-31-2009 at 06:15 AM.