Parts/Accessories for sale - Archive This forum is no longer accepting new listings. Go to **the *new* Crossfire Marketplace**

Empty Fob Cases on eBay

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 07:15 PM
Received 550 Likes on 462 Posts
Default Empty Fob Cases on eBay

Not mine and may be worth a try to rebuild a broken fob case.
98-04 MERCEDES-BENZ SLK-CLASS FLIP KEY KEYLESS REMOTE FOB CASE FREE INSTRUCTION | eBay

Old 01-28-2012, 07:51 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Empty Fob Cases on eBay

I already received mine. For $9, it seems like fair quality. No IR window. I can fix that. Dave, that one is a better match, nice find.

But I now have a "Trunk" button! I'll swap out the guts this week. Batteries will be here Monday.

Last edited by maxcichon; 01-28-2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:55 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by maxcichon
But I now have a "Trunk" button!
ok, I'll bite, I assume when you say "Trunk" button it pops open the trunk and not just unlocks it? how do you do an "trunk only" button?

TIA

Old 01-29-2012, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by TomSRT
ok, I'll bite, I assume when you say "Trunk" button it pops open the trunk and not just unlocks it? how do you do an "trunk only" button?

TIA
'cause it has a little bitty picture of an open trunk on it! On the SLK/Crossfire specific one that we ahve and 180 found a shell replacement for, it is just a blank space. Here is what I bought, but I paid a lot less:

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

See it, buddy? I just used the wrong search for it, and 180 is just a tad smarter than I...

Old 01-29-2012, 03:49 PM

'cause it has a little bitty picture of an open trunk on it! On the SLK/Crossfire specific one that we ahve and 180 found a shell replacement for, it is just a blank space. Here is what I bought, but I paid a lot less:

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

See it, buddy? I just used the wrong search for it, and 180 is just a tad smarter than I...
Not smarter for sure, I just fell on it.

Old 01-29-2012, 04:12 PM
Forum Regular

ok, but is it a straight swap, or do we need to do something to the guts to get the trunk to pop up?

Old 01-29-2012, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by TomSRT
ok, but is it a straight swap, or do we need to do something to the guts to get the trunk to pop up?
No, no. The one I bought just has an extra, unusable, button. Look at the 2 pictures, mine and the one 180 posted. His is identical to our Crossfire fob. Mine is for a car with a remote trunk release.

Both of these are just empty shells. My fob looks like the dog has been chewing on it and the PANIC button fell out long ago. I need a replacement case. My guts are fine.

If your trunk doesn't pop up now, it never will...

Our fobs only lock and unlock.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:43 PM
Forum Regular

If your trunk doesn't pop up now, it never will...

Our fobs only lock and unlock.
that's what I thought, but you guys were talking about some trunk button.

I was thinking thats a new feature I hadn't heard about. Nevermind.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:03 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just ordered from the guy. I emailed him back and forth the one for the earlier SLK 320 does have the red IR window. As soon as I get it, I will give more info. If it's the correct one, I told him he needs to advertise the Crossfire as well because mine is totally crap. I'm hoping I can tap out the pin for the key blade and use my original key as well. Will post when I know more.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by eruby
I just ordered from the guy. I emailed him back and forth the one for the earlier SLK 320 does have the red IR window. As soon as I get it, I will give more info. If it's the correct one, I told him he needs to advertise the Crossfire as well because mine is totally crap. I'm hoping I can tap out the pin for the key blade and use my original key as well. Will post when I know more.
Here's the how to on the fob repair.
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...estroying.html

Old 02-15-2012, 12:33 PM

I ordered this; 98-04 MERCEDES-BENZ SLK-CLASS FLIP KEY KEYLESS REMOTE FOB CASE FREE INSTRUCTION | eBay

I received the blank fob in the mail this morning and switched out the guts of the old broken one. I followed tom2112's how to and all went well.
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tml#post208484

It still works and no reset was required. This one sports a Mercedes logo instead of the Chrysler one.

The old one was glued together really well and came apart in pieces, I snapped off some pieces with pliers to get at the cement under the lip. The chip in the front of the fob was held in with just the white clip, no cement.

Last edited by onehundred80; 02-20-2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:07 PM

Could someone please explain what the IR/window does for us? Except for letting one know the batteries are still working?

Old 02-15-2012, 01:12 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Could someone please explain what the IR/window does for us? Except for letting one know the batteries are still working?
I thought it communicated with the ring on the dash, for anti-theft purposes...

Old 02-15-2012, 01:34 PM

I copied the following from a previous post of mine this morning.

'There is a LED behind the red lens and it lights up when you change the door unlocking/locking sequence, that's the drivers side only or all doors unlocking on one press of the button. The LED is the white component on the front of the circuit board behind the red lens.

Pressing both the lock and unlock buttons and holding them down until the red lens lights up will reverse the set up you have at present. You have to be near the car to do this.'

I do not think this fob uses IR technology just the transponder chip in the key fob that will sit adjacent to the halo around the ignition switch. The circuit board in the fob is the transmitter for the door locks.

So the key is a three part component, key, transponder and transmitter. See tom2112's description in his 'How to take your key ....' thread.