Racing The place to talk about autocrossing, road and drag racing.

"Hooked on Driving" High Performance Driving Experience

Old 07-22-2014, 10:18 AM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default "Hooked on Driving" High Performance Driving Experience

I was doing some research on high performance driving schools and found "Hooked on Driving". Basically you drive your own car on the race track and receive professional supervision / eduction. For $299.00 you get a full day's experience with FIVE 25 minute sessions of actual track time. They accommodate skill levels from beginner up to licensed race drivers. They operate at various race tracks throughout the country. I'm thinking of doing the August 1st session at Homestead Motor Speedway that is just 30 minutes from me. Check out "Hooked on Driving" here:

http://www.hookedondriving.com/

Last edited by RED DOG; 07-22-2014 at 10:28 AM.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:25 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: "Hooked on Driving" High Performance Driving Experience

They don't like the roadsters Bob, you will be restricted to 'A' and 'B' group driving, and you have to wear a full face helmet.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
They don't like the roadsters Bob, you will be restricted to 'A' and 'B' group driving, and you have to wear a full face helmet.
W O N D E R F U L . . . Thanks for that information . . . I just sent an e-mail inquiry to them requesting a clarification on my specific vehicle and skill level status.

Last edited by RED DOG; 07-22-2014 at 10:44 AM.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:29 AM
xme
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.hookedondriving.com/downl...nvertibles.pdf

Old 07-22-2014, 03:55 PM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
They have roadsters.
For $299 you get the choice of two cars, not very fast but considered safe for the novice. There is a maximum weight limit in this class though, 50lbs. So many are not eligible.
Good luck.

For the gals

For the guys

Last edited by onehundred80; 07-22-2014 at 03:57 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:21 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Never a dull moment....Dave....never..... I'd like to see you get down into one of those.... Jaws of life would have to free you....

Old 07-22-2014, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by RED DOG
I just sent an e-mail inquiry to them requesting a clarification on my specific vehicle and skill level status.
They responded pretty quickly . . . They suggested that I register for the B group and after they evaluate my driving skills if I want to move up into the faster C group they will work that out for me. That seems pretty reasonable and fair to me . . . I'll probably end up getting demoted down into the A group . . .

Old 07-22-2014, 07:17 PM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
Never a dull moment....Dave....never..... I'd like to see you get down into one of those.... Jaws of life would have to free you....
Gotta keep things light. LOL

Old 07-22-2014, 09:03 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

any track time is a fun time.....

Old 07-23-2014, 09:10 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice find, I'm less than an hour from one of their events

Old 07-26-2014, 12:58 PM

Follow up . . . Got my son and I signed up for the August 1st event at Homestead Motor Speedway (also happens to be my birthday). I'll be running my SSB SRT6 roadster and my son will be running the black SRT6 rescue roadster. We are both signed up into the B Group but hoping we can be both be upgraded into the C group by officials on event day. Making this a bit more expensive we both had to purchase upgraded racing helmets to meet their current SA2010 helmet certification requirement. Hoping all turns out to be worthwhile . . .

Old 07-26-2014, 01:07 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

These events are a blast. The only times people don't have fun is when they refuse to follow instructions. Not to mention they'll insist on driving the correct line, braking early and entering corners at speeds you'll think are impossible. The worst event I attended was a learning experience for me so I count it a success too.

Les

Old 07-27-2014, 01:08 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Father & Son time doesn't get much better than that Bob; and on your B-Day makes it even more fun. So far, the track promoter I run with(trackmasters racing)still allows SA2005 helmets, but I'm saving for the inevitable helmet upgrade. "Hooked"...... that's what happens for sure! Edit: I just checked out your track online, and looks awesome. You're doing the 14 turn road course I assume? Our cars were made for this! I've pretty much abandoned Autocrossing for the big track, lol.
Bob

Last edited by dinasrt; 07-27-2014 at 01:46 AM.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by dinasrt
Father & Son time doesn't get much better than that Bob; and on your B-Day makes it even more fun. So far, the track promoter I run with(trackmasters racing)still allows SA2005 helmets, but I'm saving for the inevitable helmet upgrade. "Hooked"...... that's what happens for sure! Edit: I just checked out your track online, and looks awesome. You're doing the 14 turn road course I assume? Our cars were made for this! I've pretty much abandoned Autocrossing for the big track, lol.
Bob
Yes . . . regarding the helmets, Hooked on Driving does still accept the SA2005 rated helmets too. In fact I found a close out deal on these G-Force SA2005 helmets and bought these for only $87.00 each. But now, of course, I have to get matching "flames" put onto the Crossfires . . . . . . . . . NOT

I'm not sure of the exact track layout we'll be running . . . The infield road course for sure. My son and I have previously both done the SRT Track Experience full day racing at Homestead Motor Speedway as well as at Daytona Motor Speedway. When we did it at Homestead they incorporated the center road race course with a section of the high banked oval track too. Hoping that's what we'll find next Friday. Thanks for sharing my excitement!

I'm going to begin my "working less / playing more" lifestyle change. Next I want to get my son and I out to Chandler AZ and check this off my bucket list . . .

Stingray High Performance Driving | Bondurant.com

Last edited by RED DOG; 07-27-2014 at 09:13 AM.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:00 AM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

SA2005 is good to 2015 so you purchased a 1-1/2 year helmet for road course events. I recommend a brake pad swap and Motul 660 or equivalent .... or better. Having spongy brakes takes away the fun factor.

Les

Old 07-27-2014, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by velociabstract
SA2005 is good to 2015 so you purchased a 1-1/2 year helmet for road course events. I recommend a brake pad swap and Motul 660 or equivalent .... or better. Having spongy brakes takes away the fun factor.

Les
Hi Les,

I guess I didn't realize those SA2005 helmets would only be acceptable until 2015 . . . Opps! They won't be shipping to me until tomorrow so I'll look at upgrading them to SA2010 rated helmets . . .

I have recently installed new high performance brake pads with dimpled and slotted rotors (from BrakePerformance.com) on both of these SRT6 roadsters. While I understand and appreciate the Motul 660 brake fluid change recommendation, I'm sure we won't be running aggressively enough in five 25 minute sessions to boil the Pentosin Super DOT 4 fluid that I also just recently flushed into both of these SRT6s . . . This event is not a true competition and we'll be running somewhat limited by the course officials so we just won't be driving and braking quite that aggressively . . .

Last edited by RED DOG; 07-27-2014 at 11:00 AM.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:00 PM

I'm going to begin my "working less / playing more" lifestyle change. Next I want to get my son and I out to Chandler AZ and check this off my bucket list . . .

Stingray High Performance Driving | Bondurant.com
You really are practicing what you preach Bob. Bondurant school really brings back great memories for me. I did work for Bob when he had the school at Sears Point in CA, (now called Sonoma Raceway) in the early 80's. He was actually my instructor for one day of my 4 day course. We started in brand new stripped down & modded 5.0 Mustangs, and then moved into the Formula Fords. I'm pretty sure it was the first year that Ford sponsored his school and delivered his brand new fleet. It was one of the best times in my life. Along w/ all his instructors, I got to meet, work, and drive w/ the legend himself! I wasn't able to get him to give me a lap in the Cobra though.

Old 07-29-2014, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by dinasrt
You really are practicing what you preach Bob. Bondurant school really brings back great memories for me. I did work for Bob when he had the school at Sears Point in CA, (now called Sonoma Raceway) in the early 80's. He was actually my instructor for one day of my 4 day course. We started in brand new stripped down & modded 5.0 Mustangs, and then moved into the Formula Fords. I'm pretty sure it was the first year that Ford sponsored his school and delivered his brand new fleet. It was one of the best times in my life. Along w/ all his instructors, I got to meet, work, and drive w/ the legend himself! I wasn't able to get him to give me a lap in the Cobra though.
Glad I was able to prod your memories of Bondurant. I'll let you know when I get this booked and maybe you can consider signing up for a "refresher course" at the same time?? I don't know how else we'd ever be able to meet as we live on opposite ends of the country!

Old 07-29-2014, 12:47 PM

Glad I was able to prod your memories of Bondurant. I'll let you know when I get this booked and maybe you can consider signing up for a "refresher course" at the same time?? I don't know how else we'd ever be able to meet as we live on opposite ends of the country!
As much as I'd love to get down there to AZ., it's unfortunately cost prohibitive for me. If money was no object for me though, I'd want to do their stock car program. The Stingrays will be great adrenaline, wish we had those when I did the course. The race prepped Mustangs were fun, but certainly the new race prepped stingrays will be lightening quick in comparison. Have a blast!

Old 07-29-2014, 06:07 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I plan on doing the 'hooked on driving' course too, one reason I picked the car up. BTW Red Dog, I'll be 65 on August 1st.

Dave

Quick Reply: "Hooked on Driving" High Performance Driving Experience