South Forum Serving AR, LA, MS, NM, OK, TX.

Well its happened..

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 10:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well its happened..

Well it finally happened.. My headliner has finally fallen.. Have tried calling the place where Bill got his done.. they don't seem to ever want to pick up the phone... Tried going back to Carmax.. to see who they recommend.. they gave me a number to another place.. Tried calling them.. and they can't seem to pickup the phone either.

So anyone know a decent auto interior place that would be able to redo the headliner on our cars.. that actually picks up their phone?

I'm this close to just doing it myself.. but in reality would prefer to have it professionally done...

Old 07-24-2014, 10:41 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Re: Well its happened..

Mine started to fall on the CAA5 trip due to heat. I plan to do it myself when the weather cools down. I go back with material that does NOT have the foam back. The foam back is what is causing the headliner to fall. It gets old and separates. James

Old 07-24-2014, 11:54 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe the problem is the glue that was used and the ends are not tucked in. When mine was redone, a good glue was used and the ends were tucked in.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by Xalidin
Well it finally happened.. My headliner has finally fallen.. Have tried calling the place where Bill got his done.. they don't seem to ever want to pick up the phone... Tried going back to Carmax.. to see who they recommend.. they gave me a number to another place.. Tried calling them.. and they can't seem to pickup the phone either.

So anyone know a decent auto interior place that would be able to redo the headliner on our cars.. that actually picks up their phone?

I'm this close to just doing it myself.. but in reality would prefer to have it professionally done...
John, is this who you tried to contact? Auto Seat Cover Co. 127 W. Carson St. San Antonio, TX. (210) 225-8284, owner's name is Lupe.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:11 AM

Yep... I finally got through to an answering machine on Friday evening.. I left a message but haven't received a call back as of yet.. As I was calling on Friday I was also passing a fabric place and said "ok screw it.." and stopped in and picked up some fabric and the glue. Friday evening I spent the time and took down the headliner fiberglass(no major breakage of the plastic pieces which I was the most afraid of). I also went ahead and cleaned it off really well last night too. I then let it sit overnight in the garage.. Will be attempting to glue on the cloth today and putting it all back together. I did realize last night though that I got WAY too much cloth(wound up buying 2 1/2 yards. The good news is that I had a 50% off coupon.. so I guess it all works out. My biggest concern at this moment is getting the cloth on the top right and getting it all back into the car(although I think I have a plan for the cloth part, which includes the utilization of a bunch of extra cardboard we have laying around). I'll post up the technique if it winds up working well.

I actually never took off the front pillars by the windshield.. I was able to just slip the headliner out after fully removing the back trim pieces. The only main concern I have left right now is how I am going to get the headliner to slip back up and into/behind those front pillars solo(wife is currently out of town).

I guess we will see how it goes.. it does seem like a nice weekend project

Old 07-26-2014, 11:22 AM

Make sure you have excess all around so you can tuck and trim.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:15 PM

Got it all fixed up.. all that is left is cleaning up the garage(and the car itself). It took most of the afternoon to get all the molding pieces back into place.. but spending the extra time was well worth it.. No broken plastic pieces!!

Oh and I left PLENTY of wrap around for the cloth.. ALL the way around the headliner.. I did stretch a few places a little snug.. but it turned out pretty nice. Only wrinkles are where the headliner tucks into the front pillars.. so its very hidden especially since the front sun visors are up there and hide it as well.

I guess another thing to tick off on the list of things done for the first time(on the crossfire no less)..

Old 07-27-2014, 12:25 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine is starting to go back by the rear window, gorilla tape holds it up for now and you can't see it when the hatch is closed.

Old 07-27-2014, 02:07 PM

Yeah mine started near the back hatch.. but then it quickly started to fall in the middle.. Got to the point where I couldn't even see out the back window and I would have to wear a hat because my head would hit into the fabric and it would drive me nuts.