Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Driveline noise

Old 04-08-2015, 07:17 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driveline noise

Hey guys I'm having an issue.

7,000 miles ago I had a rumble noise under moderate to hard acceleration and the culprit was the flex disc, I replaced it and the noise went away for a while.

The noise came back and I found out my engine mounts were blown and the transmission mount was worn as well which meant my flex disc cracked.

I've now replaced the flex disc and the noise is still there with the same symptoms.
I replaced the driveshaft 3 years ago so I hope it's not the bearing already.

Any thoughts?

Old 04-09-2015, 12:01 AM
Received 202 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Re: Driveline noise

if u get on it and just before it changes gear(into 2) you feel it the most,,yet when you put the car on a lift you can;t find a thing wrong, this is of course after you changed the mounts, right. I think u have a drive shaft problem,,, not just the center bearing,,Yes it could be that but it could also be the universal joint, you can shake it all you want ,,it want show anything wrong,, remove the drive shaft ,,make sure the center bearing rubber is not torn,make sure the bearing housing is round,,,not round like an egg. then push ,pull,twist, the universal joint ,,,then have some one else check it .. fix that, and u are back on the road. jim

Old 04-09-2015, 04:01 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by amx1397
if u get on it and just before it changes gear(into 2) you feel it the most,,yet when you put the car on a lift you can;t find a thing wrong, this is of course after you changed the mounts, right. I think u have a drive shaft problem,,, not just the center bearing,,Yes it could be that but it could also be the universal joint, you can shake it all you want ,,it want show anything wrong,, remove the drive shaft ,,make sure the center bearing rubber is not torn,make sure the bearing housing is round,,,not round like an egg. then push ,pull,twist, the universal joint ,,,then have some one else check it .. fix that, and u are back on the road. jim
Thanks, I found the bearing and support kit from Needswings, I haven't had any luck finding a u-joint. Is anyone aware of a part number? This is for an 05 limited 6spd. I figured I would swap everything out at once. Even if these new parts don't fix the problem I can always find a used driveshaft and swap out all the good parts new the new shaft and pretty much make a remanufatured one.

Last edited by Selbyl; 04-09-2015 at 04:07 PM.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:37 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Selbyl
Thanks, I found the bearing and support kit from Needswings, I haven't had any luck finding a u-joint. Is anyone aware of a part number? This is for an 05 limited 6spd. I figured I would swap everything out at once. Even if these new parts don't fix the problem I can always find a used driveshaft and swap out all the good parts new the new shaft and pretty much make a remanufatured one.
Update:

Center bearing and housing is replaced and the noise is a bit better but still there.

Before I replaced the part even if I was cruising in 6th gear and floored it I could hear the rattle, that is gone now. I'm thinking the front flex plate may be worn as well since the original one is still on at 115K and almost 11 years old.

I talked with Rob at Needswings and said he's yet to see a u-joint fail.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:40 PM
Default high beam doesn't work

High beam doesn't work. Checked fuses, bulbs, and relay????

Old 04-16-2015, 09:08 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: high beam doesn't work

Originally Posted by Jim A
High beam doesn't work. Checked fuses, bulbs, and relay????
Just curious : how does this relate to drive line noise ?

Old 04-16-2015, 04:44 PM
Forum Regular

Update again,

Went back to the shop and put my car back on the lift and started to retighten some bolts thinking that stuff may have shifted. I looked at the two large bolts that go into the back of the differential and the rubber mount was cracked all around both of the bolts. I think this may be the problem, in the low gears the torque comes on really quick and this causes the driveline to flex a bit and make the rattle noise. I'm trying to find a part number but no luck as of yet. Could someone point me in the right direction? It seems with the car being 11 years old and being in Guam for 2 years all the rubber bits are ready to be replaced. My front right control arm makes a noise when I'm backing up and tap the brakes so I think that side is going out now.

If anyone known the part number for the differential mount/bushing could they possibly provide it?

Old 04-17-2015, 07:50 PM
Forum Regular

Found the part number for the differential mounts in the rear that connect to the subframe.
2023511142 autozone carries then and they're $28 each, I'll be swapping those out on Wednesday when the hobby shop on base is open.

Old 04-18-2015, 10:31 PM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts

Found the part number for the differential mounts in the rear that connect to the subframe.
2023511142 autozone carries then and they're $28 each, I'll be swapping those out on Wednesday when the hobby shop on base is open.

Glad you still have a base hobby shop, they closed the one here at Shaw years ago to fund something else (NO I did not say 'Golf Course').

Old 04-18-2015, 10:35 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
Glad you still have a base hobby shop, they closed the one here at Shaw years ago to fund something else (NO I did not say 'Golf Course').
Apparently we were one of the first bases to close the golf course because we couldn't make any money with it and most of service's budget went to keeping the grounds in order.

They did close the hobby shop here at Mcconnell for a few weeks but the company that owns base housing was getting annoyed with people working on their cars and spilling oil on the driveways.

Old 04-18-2015, 10:43 PM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts

Apparently we were one of the first bases to close the golf course because we couldn't make any money with it and most of service's budget went to keeping the grounds in order.

They did close the hobby shop here at Mcconnell for a few weeks but the company that owns base housing was getting annoyed with people working on their cars and spilling oil on the driveways.

Sucks they continue to drive decisions based on funding. Back in my days, they cared more for moral, and kept things like the auto hobby shop open for anyone with an ID card because sometimes spouses worked on their own when the sponsor was TDY. Again, sucks they choose to decide issues like this based on funds.

Old 04-24-2015, 01:36 PM
Forum Regular

Solution found.

Parts replaced:
Motor mounts
Transmission Mount
Carrier Bearing and support
Rear flex plate
Differential bushings

The noise is not gone from what I'm able to tell, there maybe some driveline noise but it could be just my tires. I was able to floor it for the first time in a while and didn't hear the loud banging noise anymore.

20150426 UPdate:

Noise is still there, I'll be replacing the front flex plate as I still have the original one on at 115K miles.

Last edited by Selbyl; 04-26-2015 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Update
Old 05-02-2015, 10:30 PM
Forum Regular

Noise is still there.

I've replaced:
Both flex plates
motor mounts
center carrier bearing
Differential bushings

I'm at a loss, so I guess I might take it to a shop.

As a recap the car makes a rumble/rattle noise and sounds like it is happening right underneath me while I'm driving. The noise happens under hard throttle and is not rpm dependent. If I ease into the throttle I can make it all the way to the redline. Any advice?

Old 05-02-2015, 11:39 PM

i said before and i will say it again it is the u joint on the drive shaft ,,,borrow one and see. or buy one and bee happy. jim

Old 05-03-2015, 10:03 AM
Forum Regular

i said before and i will say it again it is the u joint on the drive shaft ,,,borrow one and see. or buy one and bee happy. jim

I had the mechanic at the hobby shop take a look at the u joint and he said there was nothing wrong with it, but that is probably it. I have a slight problem with that, I have not found a u-joint for our cars and I've spoke with Rob at Needswings and he doesn't have access to one. Do I just have to buy a rear driveshaft and hope that the u-joint is in good condition?

Old 05-03-2015, 10:53 AM

I think each drive shaft is balance to it's self, I don't think they are all bal the same so mixing a front to a rear of a different drive shaft may not fix it, it may make it worse, buy a used D S , around 100, also to replace the u joint is also around 100 (if you can find a u joint.
I had 4 mechanics plus myself check mine, I checked it 3 times myself. all looked good,, then i said i'll find the problem, burn out 3 times got worse with each burn out, then on the lift, and still felt good but when i turned it i saw the u joint coming apart, replace the D S problem fixed. jim

Old 05-03-2015, 02:10 PM
Forum Regular

Thanks for the info, I'll go to a shop my wife's uncle recommended and see if they can change the u-joint hopefully the price won't be too steep.

Here's a link I found on the Benz forum
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1641542-drive-shaft-u-joint-replacement.html#/forumsite/20548/topics/1641542

Last edited by Selbyl; 05-03-2015 at 02:15 PM.
Old 05-03-2015, 02:13 PM

if they do find a u joint tell them to buy two i need one if it is no too much $$$$ shipped to Ft Lauderdale Fl. jim

I do know someone that has a drive shaft for a limited ..i think he wants around 125 for it.

Old 05-03-2015, 02:17 PM
Forum Regular

if they do find a u joint tell them to buy two i need one if it is no too much $$$$ shipped to Ft Lauderdale Fl. jim

I do know someone that has a drive shaft for a limited ..i think he wants around 125 for it.
I'll be sure to ask if you see the link in my last post I just edited the 344 joint is $24 on amazon. Although that's for an e320

My worry with buying a used driveshaft is having another worn ujoint and having this break again in the future.

Old 06-05-2015, 11:18 AM
Forum Regular

Update

Driveshaft is replaced with new carrier bearing everything is torqued to spec and there is still a noise when accelerating hard, flex plates were also replaced along with differential mounts, engine mounts and flex plates. I'm starting to lose my mind a bit. Anyone have any last minute ideas before I take it to a shop?

Quick Reply: Driveline noise