Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

BAS/ESP light and less power

Old 08-18-2015, 07:40 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Default BAS/ESP light and less power

My turn for a bit of head scratching. At the track on Sunday, I felt a loss of power. It was on the straight around 100 mph or so at WOT. No noises, just felt like the computer pulled lots of timing. Checked the Dashdaq and the temps were OK. I finished the session practicing my driving and didn't think much of it. Swapped back to street tires and moved the car from the paddock to the public parking area so I wouldn't get trapped inside until late in the day. There was a noise coming from the transmission area, I believe, a sound that could be a vacuum leak, but more of a musical tone. Again I didn't think much of it. Pulled out of the parking and found I had no real power. It felt like the throttle body was only opening 10% even with the pedal to the floor. Exhausted, I drove the 1 1/2 hours home with the ESP/BAS light on. No drama crossing the mountains, just N/A type acceleration ... or worse. Today when I got a break I checked for codes. None. The light is off. The car has "more" power but nowhere near 100%. No noise or singing today. What's my problem? I'll be digging in on Saturday, most likely, but not sure what I'm looking for. I have a spare throttle body in case what's on the car is fried. I'm open to suggestions. Help me make a list and to work "smart". I'll check the boost and timing with my dashdaq before taking things apart. Maybe I'll find some indicators.

Les

Old 08-18-2015, 07:44 PM
Default Re: BAS/ESP light and less power

Symptoms: ESP/BAS light and extreme power loss: now no light just 1/2 power: whine or tone from somewhere ..... now gone. NO CODES. Scratching head and looking for cheap Rogaine.

Les

Now that I'm relaxing at home …. the idle was a bit higher than normal while making the "sound". Now, no sound and normal idle.

Last edited by velociabstract; 08-18-2015 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Added symptom
Old 08-19-2015, 07:04 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Check the vacuum line that goes from the rear of the manifold into the firewall via a plastic tube - these get brittle and break. ( Not sure what this line does, I think the other plastic tube that runs under the battery tray does the A/C vent stuff, and heck, this could even be the same line, probably is )

Old 08-19-2015, 07:43 AM

Good idea! I'll check the hoses under the supercharger and battery tray too.

Les

Old 08-19-2015, 10:09 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Check the vacuum line that goes from the rear of the manifold into the firewall via a plastic tube - these get brittle and break. ( Not sure what this line does, I think the other plastic tube that runs under the battery tray does the A/C vent stuff, and heck, this could even be the same line, probably is )
It is the same.. and I might add a favorite of mice on the Crossfire menu.. LOL.

After multiple splices with a rubber line.. I added a stainless steel braided sleeve on it.. No longer on the menu..

Old 08-19-2015, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
It is the same.. and I might add a favorite of mice on the Crossfire menu.. LOL.

After multiple splices with a rubber line.. I added a stainless steel braided sleeve on it.. No longer on the menu..
Have you ever thought of getting a cat ?

Old 08-19-2015, 10:50 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Have you ever thought of getting a cat ?

Had 3 dumped off here.. disappeared .. must make a good coyote snack.. LOL.

Old 08-19-2015, 12:53 PM

Maybe the coyote's will develop a taste for rats/mice since the cats are gone........

Old 08-23-2015, 12:03 PM

I had a long interesting post ready and accidentally left the Forum messing with an email. Drat! So now a boring version of todays investigation. It's a leak, most likely at the throttle body, lower Y pipe hose or the supercharger to intercooler gasket. The engines AFR's are low 13's at WOT and I'm missing 75 hp, or more. After going WOT a couple of times the "tone/whine" returned and the idle was a bit high. It was too hot to dig in but the whine was from the throttle body/Y pipe area as far as I could tell. The car was idling fine until going WOT so my guess is some hose or joint unsealed at high boost post supercharger. Loss of hp points to a boost leak too.

All the hosed checked out. Brake booster hose, hoses under the supercharger, pvc/catch can hoses … the one under the battery tray doesn't hold vacuum but I don't know if it should or not. The A/C and brakes are working correctly.

Les

Old 09-02-2015, 12:07 PM

Lets see if you can hear the "tone" on this quick video. I did find the pvc hose falling off the throttle body, fixed it and the car runs "better" but not at full power and while the loud leak is gone I still have one. It seems to be on the drivers side around the Y or under the supercharger. The BAS/ESP light hasn't come back. I guess it all has to come off.

Les

Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_2284.MOV (326.2 KB, 60 views)
Old 09-05-2015, 10:48 AM

Had to take the manifolds off to find the problem. Something I truly wanted to avoid. One of the clamps that connect the Y to the intercooler snapped. All that's left is to re assemble with care and I should be good to go.

Les

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2288.JPG (526.8 KB, 56 views)
Old 09-05-2015, 12:03 PM

All back together without drama. Tomorrow after the locktite sets I'll go for a test drive. I'm getting good at remove / replace. A morning with a trip to the parts store for some clamps in the middle and done before lunch.

Les

Old 09-07-2015, 01:47 PM

Car tested and at 100% once again. Sometimes the fastest way to find a problem is take things apart. Darn BAS/ESP and no trouble code is what had me scratching …… not cat scratch ….. for my problem consultants.

Les

Old 09-07-2015, 02:06 PM

Good to hear Les, appreciate you not getting upset over the non subject matter interplay between mrmiata and I.
Sometimes I just can't help myself

Old 09-07-2015, 03:22 PM

I rarely get upset and don't mind when things get out of hand. I've seen too many get upset and leave, sadly. We need everyone from the arrogant, stubborn, foolish, young, old ……. english comprehension majors, drama queens, debaters, diçks, etc. Everyone has something useful they can contribute ….. eventually.

Les

Old 09-07-2015, 03:43 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by velociabstract
I rarely get upset and don't mind when things get out of hand. I've seen too many get upset and leave, sadly. We need everyone from the arrogant, stubborn, foolish, young, old ……. english comprehension majors, drama queens, debaters, diçks, etc. Everyone has something useful they can contribute ….. eventually.

Les

Well said Les.
However this is like Hotel California.........You can check out any time you like,
But you just can never leave!'

Glad you found the cause of your issue.