Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Hard Starting and Spoiler Deploys

Old 10-04-2017, 03:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Hard Starting and Spoiler Deploys

I have searched the forum but have not seen anything reported like what is going on with mine. My 2005 XFire (Blue Lightning) has difficulty starting when warm. This has never happened on a cold start, just after I have warmed the engine up and made a stop somewhere and it only sits for a few minutes. I have to crank the engine for approximately 10-15 seconds and she starts up finally as I am flooring the gas pedal. When this hard start occurs the rear spoiler also deploys and I have to lower it with the console switch. Has anyone had this issue or similar issue?

Old 10-04-2017, 03:36 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts
Default Re: Hard Starting and Spoiler Deploys

Originally Posted by Lightning10
I have searched the forum but have not seen anything reported like what is going on with mine. My 2005 XFire (Blue Lightning) has difficulty starting when warm. This has never happened on a cold start, just after I have warmed the engine up and made a stop somewhere and it only sits for a few minutes. I have to crank the engine for approximately 10-15 seconds and she starts up finally as I am flooring the gas pedal. When this hard start occurs the rear spoiler also deploys and I have to lower it with the console switch. Has anyone had this issue or similar issue?
Any codes set?
At first guess I would say it is the CPS that is the crank shaft position sensor.

Old 10-04-2017, 04:22 PM

No codes.... I just ordered a Cam PS and a Crank PS. I was also thinking one of those 2 as the culprit but she has never just died while running. I just bought the car a couple thousand miles ago at 70K so I really have no idea if they have been changed or not. Rock Auto had both for $23 each so I thought if nothing else I can keep them in the glove box, just in case. For those that don't know, the Crank PS is almost $90 under the Crossfire, but go to 2004 Mercedes Benz 240 and get the Bosch for $23. Same part number!

Old 10-04-2017, 05:41 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

No codes.... I just ordered a Cam PS and a Crank PS. I was also thinking one of those 2 as the culprit but she has never just died while running. I just bought the car a couple thousand miles ago at 70K so I really have no idea if they have been changed or not. Rock Auto had both for $23 each so I thought if nothing else I can keep them in the glove box, just in case. For those that don't know, the Crank PS is almost $90 under the Crossfire, but go to 2004 Mercedes Benz 240 and get the Bosch for $23. Same part number!
Just make sure you replace it with a Bosch, the Chinese rip-offs have thinner connector pins and that has shown to be an issue.

Old 10-04-2017, 05:43 PM

Yes, they are both Bosch. Thanks

Old 10-04-2017, 07:27 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Yes, they are both Bosch. Thanks
You should also check the condition of the terminals on the battery, they should be clean and corrosion free. Also check the condition of the ground cable to the chassis.
The raising of the spoiler is a sign of low voltage, if the battery is good then the above may be the cause.
This does not explain why it happens on a warm start but what the heck, check it anyway.

Old 10-04-2017, 08:21 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You might try starting without depressing the pedal. All you have to do on these cars is turn the key to start for a moment and the start sequence is activated, no more action needed, the CPU will do the rest.