Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

2004 spoiler won't stay down.

Old 10-13-2017, 04:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 spoiler won't stay down.

Hey all. I have a 2004 with about 80k miles. The car is 1500 miles away at my brother's house and he is NOT a car guy. He drives it occasionally just to "exercise" it as he hates even riding in it. Recently he told me it had starting issues and the spoiler goes back up when stopped even if you manually lower it. I read about it possibly being a battery issue on here and had him buy a new battery in the correct size. Now it starts fine and keeps a charge but the spoiler still raises when you start the car and won't stay down. He says there are no idiot lights on and neither is the light on on the spoiler switch. Any suggestions he could easily check, emphasis on the "easily?" He has no way to get it to the dealer, and honestly, I don't trust them even though they are the only dealer in the state with a Crossfire tech. I had them change the oil and do a few other things the last time I was there and less than a mile down the road the belt popped off. The tech had left the old oil filter gasket on when he installed the new one and messed up the filter cover somehow and the oil leaked all over and caused the belt to come off.

Old 10-14-2017, 08:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: 2004 spoiler won't stay down.

Have an alternator output test performed. Voltage should be around 14v. If less is indicated, the alternator brushes could be the culprit

Old 10-15-2017, 05:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 2004 spoiler won't stay down.

Thanks I'll have him get it checked. Today, he told me the A/C isn't working. I think I should have kept the Crossfire here and sent the Miata home.