Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Cup Holder stuck up !

Old 12-03-2007, 03:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cup Holder stuck up !

Greetings, all ! How do I get the cupholder down without breaking it. Right now it is stuck in the up position and if I put any more force behind it I know I'll break it. Any ideas out there?

Old 12-03-2007, 04:01 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Cup Holder stuck up !

I thought mine was stuck one time. Try pushing on the front of it before trying to lower it.

Old 12-03-2007, 04:21 PM

Thank you very much for the quick response. When I push on the front the most that happens is that the base of the cupholder pops out of the snap that holds it. I do believe it's really stuck.

Old 12-03-2007, 04:35 PM
Life is random...so am I.

I'd just hit it with a hammer! It's useless anyways.

I know this is not much help.......but even a hole in the console is more useful than that under-engineered P.O.S.

Old 12-03-2007, 04:42 PM
Forum Regular

Squeeze the top with your thumb and forefinger as you try to close it.

Old 12-03-2007, 04:42 PM
Question Re: Cup Holder stuck up !

Greetings! Thanks for the reply, but though that's the easiest and definitely the most final of approaches, I would like to keep the console in good shape. One option would be to take it completely out, but even then I'm stymied as to how it comes out. Any input there? Looks to me like I have to take the whole console apart. Okay....where to begin?

Old 12-03-2007, 04:55 PM

I've squeezed the top to no avail! Appreciate the tip, but in this case it's really stuck. For what it may be worth I can see a silver spring on the inboard side of the back part of the cup holder. Maybe that has something to do with why it won't go down ?!

Old 12-03-2007, 05:08 PM

I've had this same issue..... cupholder stuck and I'm thinking, "What the"!!!

As you're sitting in the drivers seat, use your right hand and first push in the expandable flaps that are towards the front (engine) side of the holder. If they were extended, they will move about a quarter inch into position. Next, pinch the rear top part using your right thumb and forefinger. (Your thumb will be inside the holder area, and your forefinger will be against the silver portion.) As you pinch this section together, gently fold the cupholder down into the closed position.

After a few "What the's", I figured out that I needed to be gentle with it or risk breaking it.

If this doesn't work, then I think you're correct in thinking that you have a stuck up cupholder..........this could happen if not used daily and it's become sullen and moody.

Old 12-03-2007, 05:20 PM

For what it's worth the "holding wings" on the front of the holder are already inboard, but it's obviously become sullen and moody. I purchased this car a month ago, with the cupholder up. Unfortunately, that is the way it remains. Anybody know how to take it completely out?? I get it out, I'll glue the cover in place. Thanks to everyone for their ideas !

Old 12-03-2007, 05:32 PM

The cup holder has a mind of it's own. My will stick up sometimes, and won't stay up sometimes (which is the reason I have spilled tea in my car... thought it was up, but it wasn't latched or something...). I haven't figured out how to fix it. My little brother somehow has the magic touch and can make it go down or stay up at whim. *shrug* I can't figure it out.

Old 12-03-2007, 05:41 PM

Hey, glad to know I'm not the only one that has the problem. Your bro. evidently has the touch !! Most of the time with mechanics I have it too. But, not on this one! I'll figure it out somehow, but when I do it's outta there!! Thank you for your response anyway.

Old 12-03-2007, 05:45 PM

Too bad you have to mess with fixing the cupholder. The console needs to come out to get to it. Here's a link to a previous thread to let you know what you're up against.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...onsole+removal

Old 12-03-2007, 06:07 PM
<--- Huge Horsepower

I took mine to the dealer (with other warranty issues) and they replaced it with a coin holder (or a new cup holder at your option) for free.

TSB 23-016-05

Old 12-03-2007, 06:22 PM

Thank you for the link, Morlie822. Pain in the A--, but I can do it. Far as warranty repairs, that's not going to happen. 79,000 miles when I bought it. Way outta warranty ! But, with this link I can do this. Thanks everyone...

Old 12-03-2007, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Vmax01
79,000 miles when I bought it.
Wow, 79,000 when you bought it!? What year is it and how many miles do you have on it now? That mileage could be a record here in the forums.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:33 PM

It's a 2004 and had 78,800 on it when I bought it. Has 79,400 on it now. Great car ! Except for the cupholder, that is !

Old 12-03-2007, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Vmax01
It's a 2004 and had 78,800 on it when I bought it. Has 79,400 on it now. Great car ! Except for the cupholder, that is !
Best car for the price with the world's worse (and useless) cup holder.

Did you get the maintenance records? I suggest you get an oil change.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:52 PM

Yes, will be doing an oil change this weekend. Pretty sure I can do that one myself. Nwegative on the service records. Tried, but the used car salesman said they weren't available. Haven't yet dealt with the dealer...thought they might have them. Have to check that out yet.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:55 PM

Hey I don't know if this if what everyone was talking about but what actually seems to disengage the cup holder is (excuse the poor sentance structure) the bottom part of the silver peice nearest to the driver has to be pulled out (towards the driver....I think pulled out, I'm not in my car right now I will check it on the drive home it might be pushed in). But basically the thing that seems to allow the cup holder to go in or out is that silver peice being pushed away or pulled in. I confused myself in writing that.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:09 PM

Thank you very much, bobo! It's a thought, I'll try it anyway. I think I understand...

Quick Reply: Cup Holder stuck up !