Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Modifications and Maximum Care Warranty

Old 02-01-2008, 09:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modifications and Maximum Care Warranty

I'm planning to make custom modifications to the dash in my 07 Limited. I'm relocating the switches below the factory radio to where the ashtray, cig lighter, and air bag light are to make room for a double din aftermarket radio.

The MaxCare warranty states:

"The following vehicles are not eligible . . . vehicles altered or converted from the original manufacturer's specifications . . ."

Has anyone ever had any trouble getting Maximum Care warranty coverage after making modifications? Say, for example, after 3 years and 36,000 miles I need a new oil or fuel pump, will they refuse to replace it because I modified something unrelated.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Modifications and Maximum Care Warranty

Originally Posted by fromm
I'm planning to make custom modifications to the dash in my 07 Limited. I'm relocating the switches below the factory radio to where the ashtray, cig lighter, and air bag light are to make room for a double din aftermarket radio.

The MaxCare warranty states:

"The following vehicles are not eligible . . . vehicles altered or converted from the original manufacturer's specifications . . ."

Has anyone ever had any trouble getting Maximum Care warranty coverage after making modifications? Say, for example, after 3 years and 36,000 miles I need a new oil or fuel pump, will they refuse to replace it because I modified something unrelated.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act

Old 02-01-2008, 09:48 PM

It sounds like Magnuson-Moss simply requires the warrantor to conspicuosly define the terms and conditions of the service contract. They have and that's what prompted my question.

The MaxCare warranty is specifically defined as a Service Contract and not a warranty. I'm sure because of Magnuson-Moss.

I'm no attorney, but I don't think Magnuson-Moss answers my question.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:55 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If a switch that you moved ends up failing prematurely they may argue that you've altered it, thus voiding your warranty for that particular part. Magnuson-Moss basically covers you when a dealer claims the warranty on your engine is voided because you installed custom seats. If the item you altered is in no way related to the part that fails, you can not be held accountable for the failure. Certain things do get a bit gray though, especially when it comes to suspension and powertrain mods.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:58 PM

Sweet, that's what I was thinking too. I figured that had to be true because manufacturers continue to honor factory warranties for unaltered items when owners install after market radios, lift kits, etc.

Old 02-02-2008, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Mike-in-Orange
If a switch that you moved ends up failing prematurely they may argue that you've altered it, thus voiding your warranty for that particular part. Magnuson-Moss basically covers you when a dealer claims the warranty on your engine is voided because you installed custom seats. If the item you altered is in no way related to the part that fails, you can not be held accountable for the failure. Certain things do get a bit gray though, especially when it comes to suspension and powertrain mods.
Is the addition of a Sprint Booster likely to jeopardize that power train warranty?

Old 02-02-2008, 09:43 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DICKBEE7631
Is the addition of a Sprint Booster likely to jeopardize that power train warranty?

It really shouldn't since it doesn't add any power whatsoever. All it does is alter the throttle position relative to the pedal position. It's also an easy enough swap that should the car need serious service you could swap the original bits back in before going to the dealer. A dealer who knows what they're talking about should not have an issue with the Sprint Booster. Heck, they most likely wouldn't even know it was there!

Old 02-02-2008, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Mike-in-Orange
It really shouldn't since it doesn't add any power whatsoever. All it does is alter the throttle position relative to the pedal position. It's also an easy enough swap that should the car need serious service you could swap the original bits back in before going to the dealer. A dealer who knows what they're talking about should not have an issue with the Sprint Booster. Heck, they most likely wouldn't even know it was there!

Great...thanks...now all I have to do is buy the Booster.