CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/troubleshooting-technical-questions-modifications/)
-   -   Mercedes Air Box W/CAI (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/troubleshooting-technical-questions-modifications/29557-mercedes-air-box-w-cai.html)

TVT_DESIGN 11-12-2008 04:39 PM

Mercedes Air Box W/CAI

2 Attachment(s)
We just finished up a customer's car (C-class) and was able to basically replace the intake tubes and keep the stock CAI induction.

Is there any interest in this for the Crossfire?

I would suggest upgrading to the MB box if so as the flow is almost double the Crossfire box.

Below are some pics.

amick6534 11-12-2008 05:22 PM

Re: Mercedes Air Box W/CAI

I have the MB cover what would be needed for conversion?

TVT_DESIGN 11-12-2008 05:46 PM

I'll get the pipes fitted up to my car with the MB box.

Cost will be around 75.00 for a bolt on app.

deloreanbiker 11-12-2008 05:58 PM

I, too, have the MB box on my Ltd Coupe. Anywhere near the price you are quoting and I'll get on board.

Alabaster04 11-12-2008 07:00 PM

Would this setup work with the Stock Crossfire air box as well? $75, I'm on board!

delornut 11-13-2008 07:25 AM

I have the MB air box as well and for this price I want one too.

Bruce

amick6534 11-13-2008 10:36 AM

Anthony, you say that the flow is almost double. So with your new tubes how would this measure up to say the needwings cai? Thanks!

Isellthem 11-13-2008 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by amick6534
Anthony, you say that the flow is almost double. So with your new tubes how would this measure up to say the needwings cai? Thanks!

What he said! The MB airbox flows almost twice as well as the oem Crossfire? I thought below the surface they were pretty much the same.

Kit Fox 11-13-2008 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Alabaster04
Would this setup work with the Stock Crossfire air box as well? $75, I'm on board!

Ditto, interested too, I like the dual intake setup much more then single intake.

lesr 11-13-2008 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by TVT_DESIGN
We just finished up a customer's car (C-class) and was able to basically replace the intake tubes and keep the stock CAI induction.

Is there any interest in this for the Crossfire?

I would suggest upgrading to the MB box if so as the flow is almost double the Crossfire box.

Below are some pics.

Can you give me an idea what the cost would be for this mod including a MB Box
Looks ideal to me,:cool:

TVT_DESIGN 11-13-2008 02:54 PM

The filter area and tube diameter of the MB box is substantially larger then the Crossfire.

I'll post pics of the two pieces next to each other.

I'll also get total pricing after tomorrow's dyno session. No point in a price if we don't get good results...

FP 11-13-2008 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by TVT_DESIGN
The filter area and tube diameter of the MB box is substantially larger then the Crossfire.

This is true. I could not use the XF tubes on my MB box. I had to get larger ones.

Isellthem 11-13-2008 04:49 PM

FP, I put an 320 SLK air box on my car and the tubes from the grill fit like oem. Which air box did you put on your car?

FP 11-13-2008 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Isellthem
FP, I put an 320 SLK air box on my car and the tubes from the grill fit like oem. Which air box did you put on your car?

I have a larger box that's not the SLK320. I think it's from the smaller V8. The pic on the first post is not from an SLK, and that's the one I have.

deloreanbiker 11-13-2008 05:33 PM

FP - the MB airbox have on my 06 coupe looks identical to that in the TVT post and identical to yours except for the bling ( which I emailed you about ;-) ). My stock tubes also fit perfectly. Can you check yours and give a stock #???

Thanks.

TVT_DESIGN 11-13-2008 06:30 PM

I believe the SLK320 box is the same size as the Crossfire box, but the C class box is substantially larger.

I think with the KN filters, intake tubes, and a gutted box we may surpass CAI numbers. There is a ton of flow through this box now.

JimmySkullz 11-13-2008 08:58 PM

Let me know the price for the M.B. box and tubes too..

TVT_DESIGN 11-14-2008 01:34 PM

We picked up 7 RWHP on a 2.6L. This is with the MB airbox, KN filters, and modded tubes.

I would expect another 3-5 on our 3.2L motors.

CAIs usually record 8-12 RWHP, so this is a very good alternative.

deloreanbiker 11-14-2008 02:15 PM

Okay - let me try again. Bought my MB airbox over the net and it appears to be identical to TVT's. I admit that there is a very slight difference between the fit of the tubes on the Xfire box and on the MB box I have, but nothing major. The tubes do fit, just have to take a moment or two in attaching them.That would seem to indicate that I have an SLK320 airbox, but I'd like to know for sure.

Anybody got a part number on the TVT or FP MB airbox????

TVT_DESIGN 11-14-2008 02:38 PM

SLK320 is: 1120900501
C320: 1120901101

Siginificant differences in flow.