Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

74mm Throttle Body Upgrade

Old 03-23-2009, 06:36 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 74mm Throttle Body Upgrade

Anthony, please post the install video -- and it will help your sales too I would think!! Is my TB on the way??

Old 03-23-2009, 07:47 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Alright, I think I'm getting this, pending on your dyno for this part .

Old 03-23-2009, 08:55 PM
TVT_DESIGN

Originally Posted by Tazz
Anthony, please post the install video -- and it will help your sales too I would think!! Is my TB on the way??
Your TB is on the way. The video will be up and running ASAP.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:06 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TVT_DESIGN
Your TB is on the way. The video will be up and running ASAP.
With a DYNO & instal Video! You will have another sale!

Old 03-24-2009, 01:07 AM

How hard is it to install this throttle body, compared to a CAI? I only have a CAI installed on my car obviously this should help make more HP, how much are we talking about here total with NW CAI and this trottle body. I plan to get the group buy TVT 265 kit if that happens but this sounds like a deal.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:39 PM
TVT_DESIGN

Originally Posted by 805_Fire
How hard is it to install this throttle body, compared to a CAI? I only have a CAI installed on my car obviously this should help make more HP, how much are we talking about here total with NW CAI and this trottle body. I plan to get the group buy TVT 265 kit if that happens but this sounds like a deal.
The install is simple. You already hooked up the NW intake to what need to be removed. So basically remove the intake, locate the four bolts on the TB, unscrew, and reverse the steps for the new one.

Your HP gain with the TB and nothing else but an intake should be about 5-8. You can expect more with tune and injectors.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:53 AM

Will it work with the Needswinds intake?

Old 03-26-2009, 03:43 PM
TVT_DESIGN

Originally Posted by psuperti
Will it work with the Needswinds intake?
It will complement that intake extremely well.

Old 03-28-2009, 06:46 AM

Can I see the video before I buy? Just to make sure I can do the job .

Old 03-30-2009, 05:54 PM
Forum Regular

Anthony, got my TB just now -- any instructions ????

Old 03-30-2009, 09:42 PM
TVT_DESIGN

Anthony, got my TB just now -- any instructions ????
I'm gonna whip together a photo collection for instructions as someone ran over my camera this weekend.

Here they are with no instructions.
  1. Locate Airbox/CAI and remove. If you have the NW intake then you will be removing from TB and skip to step 3
  2. Locate MAF (black cylinder with plug on driver's side). Unplug and remove. Easiest way to remove is by lifting up and leaning back to get past the metal latch. Remove lower intake elbow with top and bottom latches.
  3. Locate the 4 bluish bolts surrounding the TB. Locate the plug. Unplug and unscrew bolts.
  4. Remove tiny 68mm TB and replace with Manly 74mm TB.
  5. You may reuse the O-ring from the 68mm, make one from silicone, or purchase through dealer for around $3.
  6. Replace Elbow, MAF, and Intake.
  7. Start it up and allow time for the car to settle to an idle. It may spit and sputter, but it's just learning the new air volume.
  8. Once all is calm, take it out for a spin and enjoy!

Old 03-30-2009, 10:34 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for my first performance upgrade i think i would like to do needswing intake and TB.

what do you think of a mercedes airbox and a TB.

which one works better along with a tune.

is there any tunes where you get a free retune when you add mods.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:49 AM
TVT_DESIGN

Originally Posted by faiz23
for my first performance upgrade i think i would like to do needswing intake and TB.

what do you think of a mercedes airbox and a TB.

which one works better along with a tune.

is there any tunes where you get a free retune when you add mods.
For the look of a stock appearing engine, go MB airbox. For the most HP gain, go CAI. They will both work very well with a tune. Our TVT265 kit uses either a MB airbox or Intake and both make roughly the same power with the airbox giving up a little on the top end for more low and mid torque.

As for tunes, most mods will not need a retune. We offer free retunes if the dealer flashes over your file though. If you do something radical like cams then a complete retune is needed and there is a discounted rate for that.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:43 PM
Forum Regular
Default OMG 74mm TB

Just did the TVT 74 mm Throttle Body upgrade --- OOOOOHHHHHHMMMMMYYYYYGGGGOOOOODDDDD!

Now,understand I already have the Sprint Booster (for better throttle response), the TVT CAI (to get more air in), the TVT big injectors (so I don't lean out at the top end on track days), and the Magnaflow big exhaust (to move it all out, plus the sound. InMotion did a great tune for me. So I thought the TB would maybe help at the top end on the track, and hopefully not hurt at the bottom to mid range. WRONG !!!!! I can feel a difference all over, even punching it at 2000 rpm!!! But definitely stronger at the top -- hit the rev limiter in 2nd and 3rd first time out 'cuz it went so much quicker than usual. No real numbers, but at two of my entrance ramps that I use for "calibration" (no, really Officer.......) I went from 65 to 70mph and from 70 to 80 on runs an hour apart (run with stock TB, change to 74mm TB, run about 20 minutes to warm up and let everything adjust, run again...).

Hell, it even SOUNDS different --- took a friend for a ride, didn't say anything up front, and she immediately asked what I did this time due to the sound at full throttle from 3500 on up, plus she noticed "more push-me-back-in-the-seat" and commented that it really pushed when I hit the throttle.

Installation comments:
1. You'll need a big Torx bit for the four screws that hold on the TB.
2. use a little silicone to hold the o-ring in the recess on the intake so you can install the TB.
3. USE A TORQUE WRENCH -- manual says 90 inches (not foot/lbs) and you're wrenching into magnesium on the intake I think, so be gentle!!!!
4. Do a throttle reset when you're done (instructions are on the forum -- search for it).
5. "Depends" are handy for passengers who aren't experienced!

Old 03-31-2009, 01:44 PM
Forum Regular

Tazz did you get your intake ported as well?

Old 03-31-2009, 03:08 PM
TVT_DESIGN
Default Re: OMG 74mm TB

Just did the TVT 74 mm Throttle Body upgrade --- OOOOOHHHHHHMMMMMYYYYYGGGGOOOOODDDDD!

Now,understand I already have the Sprint Booster (for better throttle response), the TVT CAI (to get more air in), the TVT big injectors (so I don't lean out at the top end on track days), and the Magnaflow big exhaust (to move it all out, plus the sound. InMotion did a great tune for me. So I thought the TB would maybe help at the top end on the track, and hopefully not hurt at the bottom to mid range. WRONG !!!!! I can feel a difference all over, even punching it at 2000 rpm!!! But definitely stronger at the top -- hit the rev limiter in 2nd and 3rd first time out 'cuz it went so much quicker than usual. No real numbers, but at two of my entrance ramps that I use for "calibration" (no, really Officer.......) I went from 65 to 70mph and from 70 to 80 on runs an hour apart (run with stock TB, change to 74mm TB, run about 20 minutes to warm up and let everything adjust, run again...).

Hell, it even SOUNDS different --- took a friend for a ride, didn't say anything up front, and she immediately asked what I did this time due to the sound at full throttle from 3500 on up, plus she noticed "more push-me-back-in-the-seat" and commented that it really pushed when I hit the throttle.

Installation comments:
2. use a little silicone to hold the o-ring in the recess on the intake so you can install the TB.
3. USE A TORQUE WRENCH -- manual says 90 inches (not foot/lbs) and you're wrenching into magnesium on the intake I think, so be gentle!!!!
4. Do a throttle reset when you're done (instructions are on the forum -- search for it).
The best is the friend's response. I take a lot of visitors out in the shop car, so most know the feel. Before the TB it was like a progress increase in power. With the TB it's a kick in the *** of response.

Tazz glad you liked it. We'll have to talk about getting the Stage 2 manifold soon.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:15 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by newCrossfire
Tazz did you get your intake ported as well?
Not needed -- the stock manifold is already set big enough for the 74mm TB.

Having said that, I am itching to get the TVT Stage 2 manifold -- never satisfied !!!!

Then the Kleeman supercharger bolt-on.......

Old 03-31-2009, 05:17 PM
Forum Regular

Definitely --- how bad is the installation????

Originally Posted by TVT_DESIGN
Tazz glad you liked it. We'll have to talk about getting the Stage 2 manifold soon.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:41 PM
Forum Regular

Installation comments:
This review just made me decide to buy the TB. As soon as i get to Cali, I'll be hitting TVT up

Old 03-31-2009, 08:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well...any larger tb's available that will also fit?

i.e.80mm? 82mm?

Quick Reply: 74mm Throttle Body Upgrade