CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/troubleshooting-technical-questions-modifications/)
-   -   shifter knob removal (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/troubleshooting-technical-questions-modifications/3540-shifter-knob-removal.html)

brian peluso 09-24-2003 02:40 PM

shifter knob removal

I found a company that makes aluminum and titaninum shift knobs for various cars. The name is Team Voodoo. Does anybody know how the shifter knob comes off? Is it a screw-on knob or is it like the PT and press on? I would really like to replace the plastic one with this Round Aluminum shifter knob but I do not know if what they sell will work until I can get this one off.

Brian

crossfiretech 09-24-2003 06:52 PM

The knob should screw off!

whitefire 09-25-2003 10:47 PM

Please let the rest of us know how you end up getting your knob off. No pun intended.

Judy 10-04-2003 09:52 PM

Has anyone actually replaced the "slick" & cheap looking shifter knobs on either the 6 speed or the AutoStick? If so, how difficult & how successful was the switch. I'd like a leather style for a better grip.

Thanks,

prowler39 10-04-2003 10:50 PM

:D It appears as the shift knob just pulls off, mine did, try it, the boot comes off with it!! :o

imported_mightyjlr 10-04-2003 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by prowler39
:D It appears as the shift knob just pulls off, mine did, try it, the boot comes off with it!! :o

It shouldn't just pull off, you should have the dealer tighten it for you.

prowler39 10-05-2003 07:17 AM

:D Thanks, I will when I take it in for the first oil change. :lol:

KJRey 11-25-2003 04:29 PM

It is definitely not a press-on knob. You should not pull off this knob unless you want to destroy the security system or exchange the knob. This is how you should remove the knob:
First you pull off the boot frame with its two clip features at each side from the console. Then you will find a plastic sleeve underneath of the boot just at the top. This plastic sleeve is a second assurance device for the knob. You have to unscrew this plastic sleeve with a few rotations until you pull this part down. Now you can pull off the knob and it comes off together with the boot.
This plastic sleeve holds 4 clip features from the knob together that are placed in a groove of the shift lever. That's why you should unsrew the plastic sleeve first, so that you can reinstall the knob with this security system. If you want to use a new knob, it might be easier to use a press-fit to hold the knob in place. But you need a special hole in the knob, because the shift lever has a flat surface to prevent the rotation of the knob.

Judy 11-25-2003 09:14 PM

Anyone know how to remove the auto 5 spd knob?

Thanks

krwkenny 03-23-2004 11:59 PM

If anyone finds replacement shift knobs for the Crossfire 6 Speed please post it. Thanks, Kenny

David Burns 03-24-2004 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by krwkenny
If anyone finds replacement shift knobs for the Crossfire 6 Speed please post it. Thanks, Kenny

Somebody had some pic's in their album of a Crossfire with an 03 SLK leather shift knob installed. Can't remember now if it was the auto or the manual, or whose album it was in!

Fireballcat 03-25-2004 09:22 AM

Auto Shift Knob Removal:
The top ball of the shifter has a collar at the bottom. That collar unscrews clockwise lookingdown). Once unscrewed, it slides down the shaft, and the ball pulls upward and off. Very gently.

andrew 03-30-2004 11:33 AM

shift knob...

Originally Posted by Judy
Has anyone actually replaced the "slick" & cheap looking shifter knobs on either the 6 speed or the AutoStick? If so, how difficult & how successful was the switch. I'd like a leather style for a better grip.

Thanks,

yes...i changed mine to an 04' slk m/b black leather knob. see photo album

DFWSBR 03-30-2004 12:27 PM

Found some great aftermarket shift knobs for the SLK series. Manual and auto options available.

http://www.formymercedes.com/mb_resu...ry=Shift+Knobs

Tjb421 01-17-2012 02:58 PM

Re: shifter knob removal

As much as i hate to resurrect an EXTREMELY old thread....i have a problem and wanted to avoid making a new thread.

I went to back out of a parking spot yesterday and pulled up on my shift knob to shift over to reverse. when i did so, i pulled the knob, along with the leather boot and trim right off the car. after almost peeing my pants from the scare and almost hitting myself in the face, i was left staring at the transmission lever, and wondering what to do. for the time being, i put the knob back on and snapped the trim back in, and have been VERY careful and gentle when pulling up on it. However, it's come off once more since then, even when i'm careful and pull up only as much as i have to to get into reverse. I don't see any screws or ANYTHING holding it on there, so i'm wondering what held it on before? glue? am i missing something?

My initial thought is just glue it and be done with it. But i wanted to ask the experts first before doing something the wrong way. any advice would be greatly appreciated!

BoilerUpXFire 01-17-2012 03:09 PM

There is a locking collar nut on the underside of where the knob and boot meet. If it is missing, that may be your problem. If you pull the boot over the knob you should be able to see the threads for this nut (the boot unattaches from the console piece by simply pulling gently) there are 4 tabs around the base of it. Hope this helps, I would NOT recommend glue because if you have issues down the road, you may not be able to properly service the car...

Tjb421 01-17-2012 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
There is a locking collar nut on the underside of where the knob and boot meet. If it is missing, that may be your problem. If you pull the boot over the knob you should be able to see the threads for this nut (the boot unattaches from the console piece by simply pulling gently) there are 4 tabs around the base of it. Hope this helps, I would NOT recommend glue because if you have issues down the road, you may not be able to properly service the car...

That actually did help alot. Turns out the collar nut actually was on the knob, but was somehow loose enough to allow the knob to slide off the lever, so i took it off, slid it back on the shifter, slid the knob back on, tightened it, and put the boot back on and it SEEMS to be good now. So i guess it just got loose. who knows. Thanks for your help!

Linc21 08-03-2017 02:04 AM

So I'm trying to take my shift knob off to replace it, and I can't get it off.. lol I have the plastic piece at the base un tightened and was pressing down on it, but it won't come up! Anything I'm missing?? Here's a pichttps://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cro...be0a2a55b9.jpgI have that plastic piece in tightened what am I missing? Why won't it come off? Lol

onehundred80 08-03-2017 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Linc21 (Post 891953)
So I'm trying to take my shift knob off to replace it, and I can't get it off.. lol I have the plastic piece at the base un tightened and was pressing down on it, but it won't come up! Anything I'm missing?? Here's a picI have that plastic piece in tightened what am I missing? Why won't it come off? Lol

Try this.
CLICK

Linc21 08-03-2017 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80 (Post 891997)
Try this.
CLICK

I've tried.. I have the plastic piece all the way un tightened. How firmly do I have to pull up? Lol it doesn't want to come off haha I've pulled pretty hard I thought for it. It pulls up like if you were pulling up to go into reverse, but the knob won't come off lol