Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

HELP!!! Mystery no start with a twist

Old 05-14-2010, 10:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy HELP!!! Mystery no start with a twist

2004 Chrysler Crossfire died Tuesday while on the highway. Could not get car started and had it towed back home. I was nervous until I went on the forum and saw that this is a common problem for these car, there are some great posts here.

So I followed the all the threads and figured out it was the RCM, so I got my solder iron out and got to work and heated up the connections with solder (great post from DJ (tighet1) with pics thank you).

Plugged the unit back in and nothing, now I was stuck so after talking to DJ I took the unit back out and soldered the connections. Again car wouldn't start everything as usual came on (fan, radio, windows, etc).

After hours of sitting around I decided like an idiot to check the fuses on the RCM unit and there it was fuse #3 yellow 20 was no good. So I replaced the fuse and car started for about a minute and died again.

I am trying to figure out why fuse #3 yellow 20 keeps breaking.

Any help would be much appreciated.

(one last thing I like to point out I did now of the above LOL all my fathers handy work)

Old 05-14-2010, 01:50 PM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts
Default Re: HELP!!! Mystery no start with a twist

Originally Posted by speeddiva989
2004 Chrysler Crossfire died Tuesday while on the highway. Could not get car started and had it towed back home. I was nervous until I went on the forum and saw that this is a common problem for these car, there are some great posts here.

So I followed the all the threads and figured out it was the RCM, so I got my solder iron out and got to work and heated up the connections with solder (great post from DJ (tighet1) with pics thank you).

Plugged the unit back in and nothing, now I was stuck so after talking to DJ I took the unit back out and soldered the connections. Again car wouldn't start everything as usual came on (fan, radio, windows, etc).

After hours of sitting around I decided like an idiot to check the fuses on the RCM unit and there it was fuse #3 yellow 20 was no good. So I replaced the fuse and car started for about a minute and died again.

I am trying to figure out why fuse #3 yellow 20 keeps breaking.

Any help would be much appreciated.

(one last thing I like to point out I did now of the above LOL all my fathers handy work)
The Relay Control Module is a solid state device containing the following internal relays.
These are the relays and there uses.
²
Air Pump Relay

²
Engine Control Relay

²
Traction System Relay

²
Horn Relay

² Fuel Pump Relay
The book says 15 amp for the # 3 fuse.
Could it be the fuel pump that keeps blowing the fuse.
I cannot see what the # 3 fuse actually controls, they label # 1 and # 2 but not # 3.

Old 05-14-2010, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
The Relay Control Module is a solid state device containing the following internal relays.
These are the relays and there uses.
²
Air Pump Relay

²
Engine Control Relay

²
Traction System Relay

²
Horn Relay

² Fuel Pump Relay
The book says 15 amp for the # 3 fuse.
Could it be the fuel pump that keeps blowing the fuse.
I cannot see what the # 3 fuse actually controls, they label # 1 and # 2 but not # 3.
Thanks for responding I just checked the manual and this fuse is for the Engine Control Relay, I may of made a mistake on it being #3

Old 07-23-2019, 05:56 PM

Did you ever find out what was blowing the fuse? Was the entire ECM bad or were you able to determine if it was a specific wire grounding somewhere? This exact problem is happening to my red crossfire as well. Much help needed, I've been battling this problem for the last 4 months.

Old 07-24-2019, 01:15 AM
JSK
Received 104 Likes on 86 Posts

This thread is over nine years old.

Old 07-24-2019, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by JSK
This thread is over nine years old.
I know it is, I was hoping someone who has had this problem would see it and tell me what the exact problem they had was. The service manual doesn't show a 20 amp fuse for the RCM and that's the fuse that keeps blowing every time I try to start my car. Mechanically, I can do almost anything on the crossfire. Electronically, it's another language to me.