Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

After Market Lighting?

Old 05-07-2004, 11:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After Market Lighting?

Hey! Quick question for everyone who changed their head lights lighting! Which did you find to be the best and still be legal for your states restrictions? I was looking into the PIAA and the Streetglow lighting.... The Streetglow ones were recommended by my car stereo place... Anyone have some input? and I know it might sound dumb... but are there different blubs for different cars? Will i need a certain model number? Thanks!

Old 05-08-2004, 12:36 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have PIAA GTX Spark Blue Plasma bulbs in my head and fog lights. VERY COOL!

STOCK VS. PIAA GTX PLASMA BULB

PIAA GTX SPARK BLUE PLASMA BULBS

Old 05-08-2004, 09:12 AM
Forum Regular

I'm a fan of StreetGlow, too. They're very good durability for what the products that they are. And XenonDepot.com is great if you want xenon HID headlights.

Old 05-08-2004, 09:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know nothing of this type of lighting. Help me out if you will James...

"They're very good durability for what the products that they are".
Maybe it's the early morning fuzzies... I don't understand your statement. :? :? :?

Old 05-08-2004, 02:17 PM
Forum Regular

They make a good product, let's just leave it at that.

Old 05-08-2004, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Cyril Baldwin
I have PIAA GTX Spark Blue Plasma bulbs in my head and fog lights.
Ahh sweet! I'll check them out ! But the only problem is I think the blue hint of color is illegal in Michigan... at least I thought I heard that... and HIDs are illegal if they werent installed on the car at the manufacture... ick

Old 05-08-2004, 04:04 PM
Forum Regular

Anything without a filament is illegal, so plasma bulbs are illegal as well.

Old 05-09-2004, 02:25 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Plasma bulbs are very close to the HID lights and Beemers use HID lighting. With the awesome Crossfire looks, the cops would believe it more to be a stock lighting in CF than with the Beemers

So far, I've never been stopped nor flashed by other motorist. The light it emits doesn't give a bright glare to other motorist.

I bought mine at www.autothingstore.com

Old 05-09-2004, 11:37 AM
Forum Regular

But regardless, it's a poorly designed law that was freighted right through legislation. The problem isn't with the bulbs or how many lumens they emit, the problem is 18 year olds that want bright headlights and then try to install these kits themselves without properly aligning the headlights ... or by buying JDM headlight housings which, since the Japanese drive on the left side of the road, project the left headlight upwards, just like American headlight housings project the right (the outer) headlight upwards slightly.

That is the problem, poor alignment. There is no fault with the bulbs or the technology themselves. So instead, they've now made nearly all aftermarket headlight technology illegal in one fell swoop.

Old 05-09-2004, 04:32 PM

nice info james! I didnt know that thanks bro!

Old 05-09-2004, 05:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe they figure banning the lights is the only way to solve the problem... after all there are already laws on the books to cover no off road lights and improperly maintained vehicles which would include improper headlight alignment that a lot of people don't follow. Or did they come out with a new law banning those specific lights?

Old 05-09-2004, 10:04 PM
Forum Regular

There was a new law instituted around ... oh ... November of last year I believe that banned all automobile lights that do not have filaments inside of them. That means plasmas and xenons and HIDS ... basically all aftermarket lights that are actually worth buying, are now illegal. There are other laws that also make various aftermarket lights illegal, such as HIDS at 9300 Kelvin which appear bright blue. Any color that deviates noticeably from white or candle yellow are illegal. Other such things. So depending on what you buy you might get in trouble in more than one way ... or possibly could.

So basically, if you're going to buy aftermarket headlights anyway, go all out. The cops won't pull you over unless you forget to turn off your brights when they come around the corner, or they might fine you if they already have you pulled over. You might want to ask the dealership if they could install the lights for you and give you a slip that says that these lights were installed by them so that it's a little more official if something does happen. But cops know cars, that's their job. Don't insult them by trying to tell them that the car came STOCK that way.