Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Tire Rotation

Old 05-13-2004, 07:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Rotation

I would like to know if anyone has had their tires rotated? My dealer service rep told me that I did not have to rotate side to side. Has anyone heard differently? :?:

Old 05-13-2004, 07:45 PM

My tires are wearing very evenly. No need to rotate them and I have 8,100 miles now. I can't wait to get home and look at them. I'm getting too old for all this traveling stuff. :?

Old 05-14-2004, 02:29 AM
Forum Regular

You should NEVER rotate tires from left to right, ONLY from front to back.

Old 05-14-2004, 07:20 AM

Hi...

Xfire's owner's manual says/shows to rotate side-to-side...

Unidirectional tires should not be swapped side-to-side...

Dave...

Old 05-14-2004, 07:59 AM

What! The backs are 19 inch. The fronts are 18 inch. The only choice is side to side. :?:

Old 05-14-2004, 08:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These tires are not directional, They have an outside and an inside tread design. You can go side to side, and it helps keep them from chopping by rotating.

Old 05-14-2004, 09:04 AM

I had mine rotated side to side at 8,000 miles and will do so again at 16,000 it may help and I don't think it will hurt (as long as it is done correctly)

Old 05-14-2004, 09:20 AM

Frankly, this whole topic is somewhat hilarious. The owner's manual has a tire rotation diagram. At my dealer's "customer appreciation night" I attended the service manager and Crossfire tech there were adamant that the tires were unidirectional and not to be rotated. They both had puzzled looks on their faces when I mentioned a tire rotation diagram in the OM. I shrugged it off.

Essentially, it appears to me that no one really knows. I've chosen not to rotate and let the chips fall.

Old 05-14-2004, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by James Sonne
This is only true for radials, not all tires.

And now we may have an exception for Crossfires... I'm starting to think I took those high school auto shop classes for nothing.

Old 05-14-2004, 10:49 AM

I just sent an email to Michelin asking what there rotation recommendation is for their tires on our cars. i'll post what they say when i get a reply.

speaking of the tires, it's raining here today and the wet traction of the pilots is really good. pretty impressed.

Old 05-14-2004, 11:20 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Trick
This is only true for radials, not all tires.

And now we may have an exception for Crossfires... I'm starting to think I took those high school auto shop classes for nothing.
not true for most modern radials. if you rotate tires properly on most vehicles (crossfire not included), the tire will spend time during its life at all 4 locations on the vehicle. tire manufacturers and vehicle manufacturers typically recommend rotating as follows:

FWD: LF to LR, LR to RF, RF to RR, RR to LF
RWD & 4WD: LF to RR, RR to RF, RF to LR, LR to LF

what's interesting is that some tire shops don't follow these recommendations to extend tire life. some people have resorted to marking their tires with chalk to help the technician perform the rotation properly.

as far as the crossfire is concerned, i haven't reached the mileage where i need to consider rotation. i will probably check to see if there is any difference in treadwear over time between the inside and outside tread and then make a decision on whether to rotate side to side.

Old 05-14-2004, 12:32 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rob M
FWD: LF to LR, LR to RF, RF to RR, RR to LF
RWD & 4WD: LF to RR, RR to RF, RF to LR, LR to LF
Actually my 4WD recomends an X rotation pattern.

I've always used your RWD pattern in my 2WD cars whether they were FWD or RWD... in otherwords, rears go straight forward, fronts cross to the back.

Old 05-14-2004, 01:17 PM

Oh James...why don't you just SHUT UP when you don't know the first thing about a Crossfire. And apparently you don't know the first thing about modern tires either.

Old 05-14-2004, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by David Burns
Oh James...why don't you just SHUT UP when you don't know the first thing about a Crossfire. And apparently you don't know the first thing about modern tires either.
:roll: I keep trying to tell you "guys" - he only rides a tricycle :!: They don't have to rotate those tires too often, so he doesn't really know :wink:

Old 05-14-2004, 02:32 PM
Forum Regular

Vegas:

I have this vision of James pedaling a tricycle like mad, trying to keep up with everytone on the Left Coast Hookup. :lol: He even modified it to add a spoiler that deploys a 5 mph!

You people crack me up!!!!!

Old 05-14-2004, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by jsisabella
Vegas:

I have this vision of James pedaling a tricycle like mad, trying to keep up with everytone on the Left Coast Hookup. :lol: He even modified it to add a spoiler that deploys a 5 mph!

You people crack me up!!!!!
Now... modify THAT picture in your mind with one AFTER he rotates the tires on the trike front to back :!: :roll: :!:

Old 05-14-2004, 03:00 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

poor james. i guess he is just a glutton for punishment. but in his defense, and according to his own words, he's just a kid. so i can appreciate his youthful enthusiasm for the crossfire. that said, i actually enjoy reading his posts because though he isn't always right (none of us are) and sometimes he's not even close :P , he does contribute to making this forum more lively. and even though he's not afraid to voice his opinion (even when he's wrong), he doesn't make personal attacks or resort to name calling. so in my book, james is a-ok.

Old 05-14-2004, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Rob M
not true for most modern radials. if you rotate tires properly on most vehicles (crossfire not included), the tire will spend time during its life at all 4 locations on the vehicle.
Damn. I *did* take all those high school auto shop classes for nothing!

In my own defense, though, back when I was in high school tires were made from hand-carved blocks of stone, and did get very unstable if rotated incorrectly. Something to do with the grain of the granite.

Yeah, that's it.

Old 05-15-2004, 06:11 PM
Default confused!

hi, guys. always love reading posts and certainly learn a great deal...but the tire rotation thing has confused me since taking ownership. can anyone help clarify this for me, please.

my dealer noted that these tires are unable to be rotated (i have the conti-touring, all-season ones); however, my owners manual does show front to back rotation (but i just assumed it was a different brand of tire). also, i'm thinking 18" vs 19"...yeah, right!

so, for those of you with the conti all-seasons, what really should be done? thanks much. bonster

ps just turned over 18K miles since taking delivery Oct 2003 and my tire tread looks great (had a flat about 5 weeks back due to nail on road, and still had 90% of tread left, believe it or not)...mostly highway driving and i just keep checking that air pressure but still clueless on whether rotation is appropriate!

Old 05-15-2004, 08:00 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: confused!

Originally Posted by bonsterbum
hi, guys. always love reading posts and certainly learn a great deal...but the tire rotation thing has confused me since taking ownership. can anyone help clarify this for me, please.

my dealer noted that these tires are unable to be rotated (i have the conti-touring, all-season ones); however, my owners manual does show front to back rotation (but i just assumed it was a different brand of tire). also, i'm thinking 18" vs 19"...yeah, right!

so, for those of you with the conti all-seasons, what really should be done? thanks much. bonster

ps just turned over 18K miles since taking delivery Oct 2003 and my tire tread looks great (had a flat about 5 weeks back due to nail on road, and still had 90% of tread left, believe it or not)...mostly highway driving and i just keep checking that air pressure but still clueless on whether rotation is appropriate!
no you can't do front to back... well you could but it'd look funny.

yes you can do side to side.

Quick Reply: Tire Rotation