Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Engine Died at 60 Mph

Old 07-21-2005, 10:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Died at 60 Mph

On the way to work this morning, just overtook someone, put my foot on the gas and nothing... No response, nada. Checked the RPM's and it was dead but the car was still coasting. Very weird... I restarted the car from 'N' (I was doing about 40) and it went into drive but didn't engage, so I pulled over and then went to N to D and all was good...

The problem I have had recently has been rough idling to the point of stalling at lights. So this week... I changed the oil and filters and although I still have low idle it hasn't stalled up til today. The theory's I have are:

1) I knocked the car off with my knee (ignition key), pretty sure i didn't though; can you even do that when you're in Drive?

2) Something went wrong with the car related to my rough idle problems.

I had no check engine light, no limp mode, nothing...

Any ideas? I'm going to check the vacuum hose on the throttle body to see if that is causing my rough idle problems, as i read that some folks have had issues here...

I would take it to the dealer but the car has 38K on it (Is that a record here?) So I'm out of the good warranty.

Ideas, suggestions would be appreciated.

Also where does your XFire tick over when in Drive? Mine ticks over directly on the first line above Zero and then fluctuates around that with rough idle. When in park and 'N' it idles at 3/4's pretty smoothly.

Thanks all...

Last edited by brittt1; 07-21-2005 at 11:15 AM.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:23 AM
Default Re: Engine Died at 60 Mph

1) i know other cars i have owned the car could be shut off while driving, have not tried to attempt this with the crossfire. so it could have possibly happened.

2) the car does have a 7/70 powertrain warranty and this does sound somewhat like a engine issue (not exactly sure what the power train covers (ie. just mechanical or engine electronics). also since you are not that far over 36k they might make a good faith gesture and fix the car anyway.

as for the mileage that is up there, how long have you had the car? i'm at 25k and have had it 15 months, got it April 04'.

good luck with the problem.

Old 07-21-2005, 07:58 PM
Forum Regular

Sorry not really an idea what it could be. But as you wrote you were coasting when it happened, so I don't think the engine was turned off. Otherwise the car would decelerate abruptly when there's no ignition and a gear is in (like running out of gas). On the other hand, you said you restarted while doing 40mph... therefore the engine must have been off.

If the engine were running but had no acceleration, it could be a malfunction in the gas pedal sensor. But this wouldn't make a link to your rough idle.

Do you always have rough idle or only sometimes?

Old 07-21-2005, 09:33 PM

I pretty much always have it, its stalled three times at lights in the past month. I did a test tonight and I definitely didn't turn the car off. It was a total different experience as when I turned the ignition on it started and engaged the gear box; Whilst this mornings just died and the gear box disengaged like it was in neutral. I then restarted and put into drive but the gearbox didn't engage until i stopped.

I'm a little concerned in case this happens again whilst I'm overtaking on a one lane road...

Like I said, no check engine light and no warranty. So I'm very reluctant to have the dealer take it in spend 1 week or more to NOT find the problem whilst charging me a fortune. Oh and I'd have to pay to rent a car. Who knows, maybe it will never happen again but I still would like to sort out the rough idle... I may change the fuel filter and plugs and if all else fails the MAF.

Old 07-21-2005, 10:33 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

this same problem happened to my wife's bmw X5. i was running a k&n filter for over 40,000 miles. the truck was stalling quite a bit & the idle would also surge & fluctuate on occasion.

the solution...a new mass air flow sensor. reason...excessive oil build-up in the sensor & screen (mas) due to "over oiling" the freshly cleaned k&n filter.

the mas was replaced and stock air filter put in place again & i have never experienced this problem again.

i would bet this is the "real" problem.

hope this helps.

Old 07-21-2005, 11:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could also be your ecu, maybe your knocking. are you running the proper octane program?

Old 07-22-2005, 01:35 AM

I had a very similar problem for the 1st time yesterday as I was driving home from work with it being 100 degrees outside (maybe a contributor to the problem?). I had just left a stop sign at an intersection and shortly after putting it into 3rd gear and beginning to accelerate it stuttered once...recovered for 3 or 4 seconds then shut off. I turned the wheel to pull to the side of the road and the steering wheel locked...I was headed towards the yellow line, so I hit the brakes and came to a stop. The key was still in the on position. It took 3 tried of turning the key completely off and on before the starter would engage. That was the first time it has happened and hasn't done anything since. Any ideas?

Old 07-22-2005, 05:20 AM
Forum Regular

Puhh, hard stuff! I hope I never have to do this experience. No idea for engine shutting off while driving...must really be horrible!

There might be a lot of possibilities for rough idle. Mainly everything concerning the 3 major ingredients: Fuel, air, electric power. And some sensors such as those for crank axle or camshaft. Or as ex'd said even the ecu.
Sorry to say, but looks like you need a diagnostician. Nowadays there's not much one can do on his own anymore. Too much electronics and no mechanic.

Good luck.

Old 07-22-2005, 10:49 AM

It was over 100 here also yesterday (DC) and has been for a few weeks, maybe the car doesn't like the humidity and heat.

Old 07-22-2005, 04:26 PM
Default Re: Engine Died at 60Mph

No problems at all here in hells kitchen... the humidity is through the roof and the temp is 90+. I would bet you have a build up of oil such as andrew suggested.

Old 07-22-2005, 05:35 PM

I think I'm going to order a new MAF. Anyone know the cheapest place?

Old 07-23-2005, 12:28 PM
Unhappy Re: Engine Died at 60 Mph

Sorry about your problem's Britt, the dealers have replaced my mas-air sensor probe twice. Also let me tell you that german m.a.s probes are notorious, for their premature, problems, this is per a article i found in european car magazine. As for finding a sensor the dealer is going to be the only place, and their is a good chance it will have to come directly from Germany! I hope you get your buddy up and running smooth soon!!!

Old 08-01-2005, 08:59 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Try cleaning the mass first and service your k&n filter.

Old 08-02-2005, 09:40 AM

Anyone got any recommendation on how to clean it (MAF), looks kind of fragile to me? Cleaned the air filters and serviced the car and it hasn't died/stalled on me since but i still have rough idle.

Old 08-25-2005, 03:07 PM

Happened again today died at a set of lights and then 20 mins later died at 60 mph, took me waiting 2 mins until it would restart (turn key and nothing). I did put some crap gas in it yesterday (i was low and the station only had 87). Out of warranty and no idea what the issue maybe, i'm leaning towards it being the ECU considering its chipped. So i went about a month between identical issues...hmmm.

Old 08-26-2005, 01:21 PM

You mentioned that you were out of warranty - may be a dumb comment on my part, but don't we have a 70,000 mile drive train warranty? Couldn't you push on that point perhaps? As I said, may be I missed the bus.

Old 09-15-2005, 02:22 PM

Latest NEWS! Parked overnight...come out today and Turn the key, only thing you hear is a click (usual lights come on dash, stereo comes on) and then the engine cooling fan runs...tried it 100 times. Will not even crank now or attempt to crank...one of two things, CPS or MAF. Guess i better call the dealer and get screwed.

Old 09-15-2005, 08:56 PM

I may be in the same situation. On Tuesday, while sitting in bumper to bumper traffic, my Crossfire shuddered and stalled. It started right up, but the check engine light was illuminated. I took it to the a dealer the following morning and they've had it since. When I called the told me that the check engine light wasn't on when they started working on it but that it "threw" a code and that they were working with the Chrysler Service Center to identify the problem. They also said that they had to "cycle" the car 3 times in order to identify the problem. I too am past the 3yr / 36,000 mile warranty so I am a little concerned. I was told that they should have it resolved by tomorrow (Friday), so I will let you know what they say.

Old 09-16-2005, 03:55 PM

Took it to the dealer this morning, they asked if its easily reproduced...err No...its random i said, at which point one of the guys said that its doubtful they will be able to fix it. And most Crossfire owners take their cars to mercedes dealers, as Chrysler dealer are VERY unfamiliar with the car. I'm still shocked...meanwhile they said its $88.50 to diagnose it, they better do just that because i'm not paying if they say they can't find the problem...this is shocking to me, but not entirely unexpected, maybe that's the real shocking part. Anyway they said they would call Monday. I'm sure 2K miles and $500 later it will still not run right...what else is there to do? hope and pray i guess.

Old 09-16-2005, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by onefortypointsix
I may be in the same situation. On Tuesday, while sitting in bumper to bumper traffic, my Crossfire shuddered and stalled. It started right up, but the check engine light was illuminated. I took it to the a dealer the following morning and they've had it since. When I called the told me that the check engine light wasn't on when they started working on it but that it "threw" a code and that they were working with the Chrysler Service Center to identify the problem. They also said that they had to "cycle" the car 3 times in order to identify the problem. I too am past the 3yr / 36,000 mile warranty so I am a little concerned. I was told that they should have it resolved by tomorrow (Friday), so I will let you know what they say.
Once you know, please post what your problem is. I'm convinced its the Crankshaft Position Sensor but they didn't take any notice when I suggested this.

Quick Reply: Engine Died at 60 Mph