TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

Power for GPS mounted on windshield

Old 01-05-2012, 03:19 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Power for GPS mounted on windshield

I was able to route the Garmin Nuvi power cord along the top of the dash at the windshield and tuck it in out of view.
It routes over to passenger side thru the door trim into the area behind the glove box which can be accessed by removing the panel with the airbag on/off switch..
I bought a female cigarette lighter 12v adapter and wired it into the glove box light ( switched B+ ), so
the GPS cord just plugs into it and you don't have to modify the GPS power cord.

NOTE - the glove box light and the cigarette lighter socket on the console are the same circuit.

The only parts removal required is to pull the glove box light, do the wiring and feed the female connector over to the right so it can be accessed thru the airbag on/off panel, then replace the glove box light, plug up the GPS and replace the panel cover.

Looks a LOT better than a cord hanging down the dash, and should discourage the thieves a bit also.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:28 PM
PNA
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Power for GPS mounted on windshield

Originally Posted by alaxfire
I was able to route the Garmin Nuvi power cord along the top of the dash at the windshield and tuck it in out of view.
It routes over to passenger side thru the door trim into the area behind the glove box which can be accessed by removing the panel with the airbag on/off switch..
I bought a female cigarette lighter 12v adapter and wired it into the glove box light ( switched B+ ), so
the GPS cord just plugs into it and you don't have to modify the GPS power cord.

NOTE - the glove box light and the cigarette lighter socket on the console are the same circuit.

The only parts removal required is to pull the glove box light, do the wiring and feed the female connector over to the right so it can be accessed thru the airbag on/off panel, then replace the glove box light, plug up the GPS and replace the panel cover.

Looks a LOT better than a cord hanging down the dash, and should discourage the thieves a bit also.
I've been wanting to do this too!!! Any pictures?????

Old 01-05-2012, 04:03 PM
Received 369 Likes on 321 Posts

Is the wire your using for the glove box light monitored in any way by the alarm system? I seem to remember if you open that glove box the alarm goes off. I may be wrong but if it is monitored, will that affect the alarm system arming/disarming, or go off after car is locked?

Old 01-05-2012, 04:29 PM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts

The last thing thieves think about is a wire they cannot see. If they even see the mounting stuck on the windshield they'll smash their way in if they have to, figuring the GPS may be in the glove box.
Leave nothing in sight, no wires, no mounting and no GPS.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:39 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
Is the wire your using for the glove box light monitored in any way by the alarm system? I seem to remember if you open that glove box the alarm goes off. I may be wrong but if it is monitored, will that affect the alarm system arming/disarming, or go off after car is locked?
NO, the glove box light is not monitored, there is a separate switch to indicate the glove box is open.
That switch shares the ground for the light, but not the switched B+

And OneHundred80 - you are of course correct, good point. I never consider theft, as I never park anywhere public, I just use the car for cruises and visiting my sister, who also lives way out in the boondocks like me.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:12 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

NO, the glove box light is not monitored, there is a separate switch to indicate the glove box is open.
That switch shares the ground for the light, but not the switched B+

And OneHundred80 - you are of course correct, good point. I never consider theft, as I never park anywhere public, I just use the car for cruises and visiting my sister, who also lives way out in the boondocks like me.
And me! Dozer won't let anyone near the driveway...