TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

Removing wiper cowl?

Old 03-09-2016, 03:35 PM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Removing wiper cowl?

Has anyone ever removed the wiper cowl on our cars? I'm looking to remove it so that I can paint it using some Duplicolor trim paint (my cowl is a bit sun faded) but it looks a bit more tedious than what I had anticipated. Just wanted to see if there was an "easy" way to go about doing it.

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-09-2016, 03:43 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: Removing wiper cowl?

Well, first, you have to remove the wiper arms.
I have had luck just removing the nut, then gently rocking them until they release from the splines.
Some have had to resort to tiny gear type pullers.
After that, remove all the torx screws across the front, unclip the 2 metal clips that hold the O2 harnesses and cut the one wire bundle tie wrap.
You can then raise the cover enough to unplug the nozzle heater harness, and if you are real lucky, the hoses to the nozzles.
When the cover is off, be sure to clean all the leaves out of the various drains before you put it back on.

I used Meguair's Ultimate Black Vinyl Restorer and didn't have to paint mine, but it wasn't very faded either.
They also have Ultimate Black Plastic Restorer Aerosol if you are the lazy type.

http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotiv...ktHxvkV2xxX.97

Last edited by ala_xfire; 03-09-2016 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-09-2016, 04:00 PM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Well, first, you have to remove the wiper arms.
I have had luck just removing the nut, then gently rocking them until they release from the splines.
Some have had to resort to tiny gear type pullers.
After that, remove all the torx screws across the front, unclip the 2 metal clips that hold the O2 harnesses and cut the one wire bundle tie wrap.
You can then raise the cover enough to unplug the nozzle heater harness, and if you are real lucky, the hoses to the nozzles.
When the cover is off, be sure to clean all the leaves out of the various drains before you put it back on.

I used Meguair's Ultimate Black Vinyl Restorer and didn't have to paint mine, but it wasn't very faded either.
They also have Ultimate Black Plastic Restorer Aerosol if you are the lazy type.

http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotiv...ktHxvkV2xxX.97
Awesome, thanks for the info! I'm planning to take a stab at it tomorrow on my day off.

Old 03-09-2016, 06:53 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by HOT FIYA
Awesome, thanks for the info! I'm planning to take a stab at it tomorrow on my day off.
Add the missing driver side isolator/grommet around the drivers side windshield wiper stem while it is apart.
CLICK

Old 03-09-2016, 06:56 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Add the missing driver side isolator/grommet around the drivers side windshield wiper stem while it is apart.
Don't think he can get his hands on one of those before tomorrow, but then maybe there's a MB dealer close by with one .....

part # 1708240098

instructions : https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...er-stem-2-.pdf

Old 03-09-2016, 07:23 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

At least he can cut the hole on its true center prior to taking it off and then add it later.

Old 03-10-2016, 08:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup exactly, then all he has to do is pop the wiper arm off and put the grommet on.

If I need to take mine off again I would get it hydro dipped carbon fibre.. I think it would look pretty good

Old 03-10-2016, 10:28 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by HOT FIYA

Eastwood also makes a pretty good product that would do what you need.