TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

Cigarette lighter socket repair

Old 07-21-2017, 04:04 PM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts
Default Cigarette lighter socket repair

Constant use of the cigarette lighter socket as a power outlet for a Garmin GPS unit and cell phone charger caused the two little spring retainers in the socket to get bent and not hold the depressed lighter in place while it warmed up.
The adapters on these two cables are wobbly and bend the springs out of position.
With the ignition off and using a small screwdriver I bent the springs back into position.
Not that I use the lighter but I like things to work properly.

Old 09-11-2017, 03:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Cigarette lighter socket repair

Perhaps you should have combined this with the "tips for double din install" thread. Because the dash has to be taken apart for both cases.

Old 09-11-2017, 07:22 AM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by dylan07
Perhaps you should have combined this with the "tips for double din install" thread. Because the dash has to be taken apart for both cases.
No it does not, you just work down the hole the lighter goes into.

Old 09-11-2017, 07:27 AM
Received 522 Likes on 415 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Constant use of the cigarette lighter socket as a power outlet for a Garmin GPS unit and cell phone charger caused the two little spring retainers in the socket to get bent and not hold the depressed lighter in place while it warmed up.
The adapters on these two cables are wobbly and bend the springs out of position.
With the ignition off and using a small screwdriver I bent the springs back into position.
This was a good heads up for others of us. Thanks.

Old 09-11-2017, 07:34 AM
Received 522 Likes on 415 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
So I gather by your post, power to the cigarette lighter occurs when the ignition switch is turned on (which is a good thing). Back when I owned Merkur XR4Ti's, the cigarette lighters (1 up front; 1 mounted in rear of console for backseaters) were hot-wired to the battery. The one in the console's rear was bad about malfunctioning (geometry between socket & lighter in rest position) and could come on & stay hot. One of my XR's had a battery drain issue which I traced to the rear cigarette lighter socket.