TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

factory subs no good want to add 10 in sub and amp help

Old 11-13-2017, 04:45 PM
atd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy factory subs no good want to add 10 in sub and amp help

we took wire from left sub and attached to 10'' sub got some bass put not much. then took right sub wires and attach all 4 wires to sub, better bass. but now we have a free amp (friend gave us) we want to add. need advice. do I remove wires from sub and attach 1 rc cab to left and one to right attach 4 rc plugs to low side of amp? other side of amp is 4 chan. it has rear left and right hook ups and frt left and right hook ups do I attach wire to both rear hook up and run all 4 wire to sub or just left rear hook up to sub? or im I doing it all wrong?

Last edited by atd; 11-13-2017 at 04:47 PM.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:52 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: factory subs no good want to add 10 in sub and amp help

what amp, sub and source unit do you have?
sounds like you want to have a 4 channel amp run 1 sub?
depending on amp and sub you have and can figure out what ohm to wire at and how to wire everything else.
sub in box, or reccomended airspace.

I have redone all of mine.
and it will definitely keep me awake on long late drives if needed.

Old 11-14-2017, 05:11 PM
atd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we vhave a 10" kicker competition sub in box and a optimus 150 watt 4 ch. amp but my son picked up a 2 ch amp wiring kit. should he return it and get a 4 ch kit ?

Old 11-15-2017, 11:06 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by atd
we vhave a 10" kicker competition sub in box and a optimus 150 watt 4 ch. amp but my son picked up a 2 ch amp wiring kit. should he return it and get a 4 ch kit ?
for that little bitty amp should be fine, does not need much wire.
do you have factory radio or aftermarket with rca outputs?
If aftermarket radio with rca can use sub outputs from radio to amp, with a pair of rca splitters.
so 2 outputs from source unit to splitters and to all 4 rca inputs on amp, and on head unit can adjust subwoofer frequencies to 120 hz and less only.
and if the amp will do a mono in each channel, should show which to wire to from amp to speaker then 2 channels will be to 1 could and other 2 channels to other coil, Sub is probably 4 ohm dwc (dual voice coils)
etc.etc.etc
If using oem radio, will need a good crossover with high level inputs to use the wires from 6.5 subs behind seats to, then have rca outputs and can adjust the frequency for the subwoofer, low and subsonic.
low a good starting point would be 120 hz and less and subsonic 30 hz, subsonic will do setting and up so the subwoofer will only play between 120 hz and 30 hz, lower the hz the more power amp will need and can blow capacitor in amp, why class d works better for subwoofers, clarity not as good, but can handle the power.
me I wouldn't even waste me time with a 150 watt 4 channel amp for anything, pretty much all aftermarket head units have more power than that.
and most companies way over rate there equipment.
and ?'s post and I will help.
if if you have a budget and know what you want I can help.
My thumbs need a break, hahaha

Mine
Kenwood kmr-d558bt
Skar tx65c components on factory amp
​​​​​​​Skar tweeters on dash beside a pillars
Oem tweeters in door on factory amp
Skar skv2-1500.1 amp powering
2 Skar vvx -8v3 subwoofers in 2 seperate sealed boxes
​​​​​​​And still have plenty of room for my luggage and bags every week
If I get tired, it will keep me awake, hahah