U.K. Serving all countries of the United Kingdom.

Just not pushing the right buttons!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 02:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just not pushing the right buttons!!

Well, as the title says, Just not pushing the right buttons!!

I have had my crossfire coupe now since december 2011 after part x'ing my then BMW Z4.
The reason I swapped was because I had been experiencing pain on and off in my left leg while using the clutch so I thought its time for a change, why not go back to an auto.
I had liked the shape of the Crossfire since it first hit the roads of the UK so I put that on my list of hopefulls along with a Jag XK8, Nissan 350Z, Lexus/toyota Soarer twin turbo (which I have previously owned) and Toyota Supra twin turbo (also previously owned).
Anyway the Crossfire I now own turned out as the best deal at the time so I bought it, but since then my expectations of the car are gradually going down hill.
I am used to some oomph in my cars and sadly the Crossfire isnt living up to expectations. I did read up about them before I bought it, going on how people said how quick and nippy they are and how they bring a smile to your face. Its not that there is anything mechanically wrong with my car because I test drove several before mine and they were all the same performance wise.
So now I have a big decision to make, keep the car and hope I can change my mind about it or start looking for a proper sports car. Maybe if I'd gone for a roadster which looks more sporty things would be different.

has anyone else thought this about a car they have previously owned??

Don't get me wrong it is a quick car but not what I'm used to driving

Old 05-10-2012, 02:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Just not pushing the right buttons!!

Hi, I'm guessing you didn't purchase an SRT-6? I test drove a regular Crossfire and they are not bad, but the SRT-6 is in a whole different league, especially with a few mods.

I am coming from owning several GM F-bodies... Camaros and Trans Ams and the SRT-6 can perform well against the LS1 powered models.

Search on the forum here as I'm sure the NA crossfires performance can be improved a fair amount.

Old 05-10-2012, 03:44 PM
Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

If you need a two pedal arrangement have you considered a TT V6 with DSG? Not the best sports car, though in fairness neither is the Crossfire, but the V6 packs an extra 30ish horses and the twin clutch suits a sporty drive. I guess the image may be a no-go for many, though.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:04 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by gazm
If you need a two pedal arrangement have you considered a TT V6 with DSG? Not the best sports car, though in fairness neither is the Crossfire, but the V6 packs an extra 30ish horses and the twin clutch suits a sporty drive. I guess the image may be a no-go for many, though.

A TT??????? jeez they are for people who have lost the will to live, never been so bored driving as i was the day I test drove one

Russ, get a SRT6, it will wipe the floor with the others you have owned if you are brave enough to drive one to it's max

Old 05-11-2012, 12:47 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 11 FEB
A TT??????? jeez they are for people who have lost the will to live, never been so bored driving as i was the day I test drove one

Russ, get a SRT6, it will wipe the floor with the others you have owned if you are brave enough to drive one to it's max
I'll second this statement...

If you're over the Chrysler brand, I would look into a Porsche Cayman (or a Coxster, as Clarkson calls it).

The S model is a bloody hoot.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:50 PM

Just a couple of silly ideas - get the car checked out on a rolling road to see if it's performing and check auto is switched to sport I have knocked mine once and wondered why it was so soft getting away - another thought or 2 - get brakes checked see if handbrake is binding and kickdown is working properly - took me a long time to get used to really stamping on pedal.

TonyB

Old 05-11-2012, 01:04 PM
Received 563 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by Russ59
Well, as the title says, Just not pushing the right buttons!!

I have had my crossfire coupe now since december 2011 after part x'ing my then BMW Z4.
The reason I swapped was because I had been experiencing pain on and off in my left leg while using the clutch so I thought its time for a change, why not go back to an auto.
I had liked the shape of the Crossfire since it first hit the roads of the UK so I put that on my list of hopefulls along with a Jag XK8, Nissan 350Z, Lexus/toyota Soarer twin turbo (which I have previously owned) and Toyota Supra twin turbo (also previously owned).
Anyway the Crossfire I now own turned out as the best deal at the time so I bought it, but since then my expectations of the car are gradually going down hill.
I am used to some oomph in my cars and sadly the Crossfire isnt living up to expectations. I did read up about them before I bought it, going on how people said how quick and nippy they are and how they bring a smile to your face. Its not that there is anything mechanically wrong with my car because I test drove several before mine and they were all the same performance wise.
So now I have a big decision to make, keep the car and hope I can change my mind about it or start looking for a proper sports car. Maybe if I'd gone for a roadster which looks more sporty things would be different.

has anyone else thought this about a car they have previously owned??

Don't get me wrong it is a quick car but not what I'm used to driving
You had test drives and I thought they were to see if you liked the car, guess not. Where did you go wrong?

Old 05-11-2012, 01:24 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Robskytoon
check auto is switched to sport I have knocked mine once and wondered why it was so soft getting away

TonyB
might be wrong but i thought the S & W stood for summer & winter..in winter mode the car pulls away in second gear to prevent wheelspin...

Old 05-11-2012, 01:31 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by xfchris
might be wrong but i thought the S & W stood for summer & winter..in winter mode the car pulls away in second gear to prevent wheelspin...
So did I

Old 05-11-2012, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by xfchris
Confirmed.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:05 PM

Do what i did, sold the Coupe and bought a SRT 6 Roadster great fun and a lot quicker... mine has a few mods NEEDSWINGS dcai... ASP 178mm kit & PSK178 ( i have not had this fitted yet ) for the supercharger ! and adjustable sprint booster there is very little out there for mods unless you go to the USA for parts... and next is a remap that should do for now, i felt a difference straight away when the dcai was fitted these cars are very fast as a lot of people outside our community dont know what they are or whats under the bonnet ...have suprised quite a few BMW and AUDI owners ha...

Old 05-11-2012, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by UK DAVE
Do what i did, sold the Coupe and bought a SRT 6 Roadster great fun and a lot quicker... mine has a few mods NEEDSWINGS dcai... ASP 178mm kit & PSK178 ( i have not had this fitted yet ) for the supercharger ! and adjustable sprint booster there is very little out there for mods unless you go to the USA for parts... and next is a remap that should do for now, i felt a difference straight away when the dcai was fitted these cars are very fast as a lot of people outside our community dont know what they are or whats under the bonnet ...have suprised quite a few BMW and AUDI owners ha...
With those mods, you should be right around my car's performance, perhaps a tenth or two faster with the DCAI... 12.3 in the 1/4-mile and 0-60 in ~4 seconds... fun car.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:50 PM

OK so officially its Standard “S” and Winter/Wet “W” (snow and ice) program modes and
For Winter/Wet (snow and ice) mode, press the “W” symbol on the switch. The vehicle starts out in SECOND gear, unless FIRST gear has been selected, or the accelerator pedal is in the kickdown position. The “W” modehelps to improve traction and driving stability of thevehicle. The gear shifting process occurs at lower vehicleand engine speeds than in the “S” program mode.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:10 PM

W = Winter
S = Summer
Sport = 6 speed manual

Old 05-11-2012, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
You had test drives and I thought they were to see if you liked the car, guess not. Where did you go wrong?

At the time, I needed to change from manual to auto as soon as possible because of my leg issue and none of the other cars I was looking at were coming up with the right mileage, price, condition and colour except the Crossfire I now own.
I did like the car when I test drove it but after 5 months its just not produced the grin factor my last few cars have done.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:45 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JHM2K
I'll second this statement...

If you're over the Chrysler brand, I would look into a Porsche Cayman (or a Coxster, as Clarkson calls it).

The S model is a bloody hoot.

yes the Cayman S is a very good tool I have only driven them on track, far better handling than the SRT6 but I don't think they are quite as quick! and you would have to get over everyone saying " only bought a Cayman cus you couldn't afford a 911"

Old 05-12-2012, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by 11 FEB
yes the Cayman S is a very good tool I have only driven them on track, far better handling than the SRT6 but I don't think they are quite as quick! and you would have to get over everyone saying " only bought a Cayman cus you couldn't afford a 911"
And they cost at least half as much again...

Old 05-12-2012, 03:35 PM

BTW
OK so officially its Standard “S” and Winter/Wet “W” (snow and ice) program modes and
For Winter/Wet (snow and ice) mode, press the “W” symbol on the switch. The vehicle starts out in SECOND gear, unless FIRST gear has been selected, or the accelerator pedal is in the kickdown position. The “W” modehelps to improve traction and driving stability of thevehicle. The gear shifting process occurs at lower vehicleand engine speeds than in the “S” program mode.

Cut & Pasted from Crossfire Owners Manual 2004 page 128

Old 06-01-2012, 01:58 AM

Hi Russ59, I guess looking at your original shortlist I feel the cars were all a different kettle of fish? I compared a 350z and BMW Z4 as well as Supra TT at same time as crossfire. Now 1 week in I am totally happy with my choice.

All I get is loads of positive comments, double takes on the road, comfortable cruise and keep catching myself looking at her out of my window.

In the other cars I would have probably got better driving experience when on the limit, but a 6 mile commute through a town makes that an uber rare thing. Maybe if your journeys are different your original choices might have been better?

If you do change though, toyota TT supra is the winner! Crushing performance, reliable as hell and handling like its been welded to the road!

Old 06-01-2012, 05:46 AM

I know it's a manual but try a Caterham Super 7 SV500 if you want a fast road car 0-60 2.6 seconds (acknowledged as fastest accelerating street legal road car) see if that pushes the buttons - if not take up track racing and if that doesn't work?

Quick Reply: Just not pushing the right buttons!!