U.K. Serving all countries of the United Kingdom.

New owner!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 05:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New owner!

So picked up my crossfire today.

Picked it up from SGSC - Super chap, very kindly showed me his collection and wow, what a collection!

The car itself is lovely, loving it so far. Really excellent body work and best of all is the lady likes it, and she normally hates sports car (absolutely hated the TF)

Im struggling to get my head round the gearbox, 1-3 are a total pig to get into and without very careful shifting cause a big shudder and a knock in the engine compartment. Do you have to be very ginger when changing into these gears and are there any tricks to smooth it up? On the TF I lubricated the clutch release arm that made it smooth.

Other than that, love it though

Old 03-15-2015, 05:31 PM
Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: New owner!

First of all welcome to the forum. I have a 2004 manual trans and have no problems. It's not the ideal gearbox but it works. It will take some time to get use to. I'm sure there are members who have a lot more experience with the 6 spead but I love it. If you have any problems you will be able to find the fix here.

Old 03-16-2015, 12:19 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Knock in the engine compartment? You might want to check the motor mounts.

Old 03-16-2015, 04:25 AM

Its only when I do a very, very shoddy gear change. Accel is fine, everything else feels fine, my immediate concern is how to improve the gear changes (either by mechanical / DIY means or just engaging gears better).

Old 03-17-2015, 06:22 PM
pct

That doesn't sound normal, I would check around and make sure things like engine mounts are ok.

The only thing I found hard to get used to when I first had mine was the clutch action, its a bit of an on/off switch and I spent a couple of days lurching away from junctions and stalling it like a learner until I got the hang of it.

Old 03-18-2015, 05:37 AM

I'll be absolutely furious if the mounts are broken. I got rid of my TF 115 due to engine mount issues.

Anyone have any tips on where they are and how to test?

Big engine kinda scares me...

Old 03-18-2015, 05:52 AM
pct

Originally Posted by minimayhem
I'll be absolutely furious if the mounts are broken. I got rid of my TF 115 due to engine mount issues.

Anyone have any tips on where they are and how to test?

Big engine kinda scares me...
Have a scoot around on google, if you also search 'SLK320' there is likely to be more on the Mercedes forums about any potential issues, simply because there are more SLK320's around (same engine, gearbox and chassis)

Generally these cars are very reliable, and I dont think engine mounts are a common problem, so you might just have something loose somewhere, or something as simple as a sloppy gear linkage, but its worth investigating.

Mine has done 66000 miles and the gearchange is still slick and clean, the clutch however (as previously mentioned) is definately an aquired taste which takes a couple of days to get used to, I thought it was just me at first but i've let 3 or 4 people drive mine since i've had it, and every one of them stalled it a couple of times.

Old 03-20-2015, 01:54 PM
Forum Regular

Exactly why I bought an auto...tried a couple of manuals before I pulled the trigger and bought mine and absolutey hated them, from conversations with fellow UK crossfire club owners with manuals you do get used to them, probably not anything wrong with yours just a case of persevering with it...best of luck...chris

Old 03-21-2015, 03:19 PM

Hi & welcome from sunny Scotland!
That possible engine mount issue is probably nothing but why not get it checked out for peace of mind?
When I started my Crossfire search, I was certain I wanted a manual, never dreaming I'd quickly find (or afford!) an SRT which, being auto-only, saved me going through what you're experiencing now!
Manuals seem to be an acquired taste - but as xfchris said, you'll get used to it.
Good luck and keep us posted!