CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   U.K. (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/u-k/)
-   -   spare key (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/u-k/75720-spare-key.html)

madleemark 01-06-2017 06:39 PM

spare key

when i got my crossfire, i only got one key with it, went to the chrysler dealer to see if i could get one, parts man said he would try, but could not get one, tried needswings, and they got me one, it arrived this week, and works fine, expensive, but worth it for me, whenever i have just one key for a vehicle, i seem to either break it or lose it, so nice having two now.
i had to send a scan of my v5 and licence, and also the mileage of my car, not sure why that is needed, unless the mileage is somehow stored within the key.
anyway another thumbs up for rob at needswings:D

mjgroves 01-08-2017 07:47 PM

Re: spare key

I also got a spare key from Rob, great turnaround time. Still need to go try it out though. I don't think the mileage is coded to the key though, just something they ask for.

KDW4Him 01-09-2017 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by madleemark (Post 879937)
license, and also the mileage of my car, not sure why that is needed,

Just a level of security check to make sure you are the owner

NeedsWings 01-09-2017 12:38 PM

chrysler says they ask for the mileage to expect how worn out the tumblers will be but I don't see that being a factor. they ask anyways though so we give them the mileage so it doesn't delay the order.

how much did your local dealership quote you for the same key?

madleemark 01-12-2017 02:55 PM

the dealer said the key would be £245, then £65 to program it to the car, but he could not get one, there computer said they were on back order or some such, chrysler are not selling cars in the uk now, only the jeep brand i believe, quite sad realy,
thanks again rob for getting me a key, i thought it got to me quickly to:D

Harry CROWTHER 04-28-2017 01:11 PM

Madleemark/Rob, I am also having problems getting a spare key from a Chrysler/Jeep dealer here in the UK. I am considering getting a spare from Needswings, however what does the programming of the key entail ? Cheers, Harry.

onehundred80 04-28-2017 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Harry CROWTHER (Post 886287)
Madleemark/Rob, I am also having problems getting a spare key from a Chrysler/Jeep dealer here in the UK. I am considering getting a spare from Needswings, however what does the programming of the key entail ? Cheers, Harry.

Easy peasy, basically you put the key in the ignition and press a button. The programming cost from the dealer is a real rip off.
I forget the actual process but a five year old could read the instructions on the forum or the Owners Manual and do it.
Click on the Index .... In my signature and you'll find the List of Resettable Features instructions under the miscellaneous heading. Or go to the bottom of post #10 in this thread.

Don Geren 04-28-2017 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by madleemark (Post 879937)
when i got my crossfire, i only got one key with it, went to the chrysler dealer to see if i could get one, parts man said he would try, but could not get one, tried needswings, and they got me one, it arrived this week, and works fine, expensive, but worth it for me, whenever i have just one key for a vehicle, i seem to either break it or lose it, so nice having two now.
i had to send a scan of my v5 and licence, and also the mileage of my car, not sure why that is needed, unless the mileage is somehow stored within the key.
anyway another thumbs up for rob at needswings:D

How much did it cost?

Don Geren 04-28-2017 04:51 PM

How much did the key cost from needswing?

garjoe05 04-28-2017 11:39 PM

NeedsWings Performance Products. Ignition XF
U.S. key was $159.95, shipping extra, no tax for me. I doubt you will find a new OEM one perfectly cut/programmed to your car for less money (at least that's also the best I spotted after people here recommended it.)

My used Crossfire I just bought in February also only had one key.

Funny thing, the bag it was in, was from a Mercedes facility, 15050 Frye Rd, Fort Worth, TX, about an hour from my house. They shipped it to Michigan to NeedsWings, who shipped it back to me !

Here's the programming instructions that came with it. As it comes to you, it will start the car, but you need to program it to lock and unlock the doors.

1. Insert the key into the ignition switch.
2. Press either the lock or unlock button momentarily twice. Turn the key in the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position within 30 seconds.

That was it, and it works fine.

onehundred80 04-29-2017 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by garjoe05 (Post 886324)
NeedsWings Performance Products. Ignition XF
U.S. key was $159.95, shipping extra, no tax for me. I doubt you will find a new OEM one perfectly cut/programmed to your car for less money (at least that's also the best I spotted after people here recommended it.)

My used Crossfire I just bought in February also only had one key.

Funny thing, the bag it was in, was from a Mercedes facility, 15050 Frye Rd, Fort Worth, TX, about an hour from my house. They shipped it to Michigan to NeedsWings, who shipped it back to me !

Here's the programming instructions that came with it. As it comes to you, it will start the car, but you need to program it to lock and unlock the doors.

1. Insert the key into the ignition switch.
2. Press either the lock or unlock button momentarily twice. Turn the key in the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position within 30 seconds.

That was it, and it works fine.

Amazing that the stealerships want $100 or so to configure the key to your car, can we say that they rob customers?

garjoe05 04-30-2017 11:20 AM

Someone earlier asked why Chrysler/NeedsWings wants to know the mileage on the car. Someone also posted all the TSBs on these forums (Technical Service Bulletins).
One of them (06-029-03 Subject: Replacement Keys) has steps for the Technician to order replacement keys.
This is something they access via their DealerCONNECT system, to process the order with the "Key Production Facility".
In Step 7, just after they enter the VIN, it says "Type the mileage".

So it's needed by their system in order to generate the key order. It doesn't say what they do with the mileage, in relation to generating a new key though.

ala_xfire 04-30-2017 03:24 PM

Rob stated previously :

chrysler says they ask for the mileage to expect how worn out the tumblers will be but I don't see that being a factor. they ask anyways though so we give them the mileage so it doesn't delay the order.

Harry CROWTHER 06-09-2017 10:54 AM

After waiting FOUR months with a Dodge/Jeep dealership, here in the South West of the UK, we finally gave up & bought a spare key from Rob at Needswings. Only 10 days later the new key arrived ! Brilliant service, thanks Rob. Harry & Pat Crowther.

maggy55 06-09-2017 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Harry CROWTHER (Post 888694)
After waiting FOUR months with a Dodge/Jeep dealership, here in the South West of the UK, we finally gave up & bought a spare key from Rob at Needswings. Only 10 days later the new key arrived ! Brilliant service, thanks Rob. Harry & Pat Crowther.

I concur , great service from Needswings

Commander1 03-06-2018 08:58 AM

Having also recently bought a Crossfire (2004 model) with only one key I am worried that this key will stop working as the fob is breaking up and I have it taped up. Suggestion that it might be a M-B SLK key from the phase one car. Any thoughts or help?

Steve Jr 03-06-2018 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Commander1 (Post 902388)
Having also recently bought a Crossfire (2004 model) with only one key I am worried that this key will stop working as the fob is breaking up and I have it taped up. Suggestion that it might be a M-B SLK key from the phase one car. Any thoughts or help?

Theres a chip in our cases ,that is specific to the Vin. of the car. You can change the case if , you change the chip an board, to the new case. Best an easier ( IMO) to contact Needswings.com an get an extra. Just in case the washer gets it! :p

onehundred80 03-06-2018 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Commander1 (Post 902388)

You can buy a blank fob on eBay, some come for $10 for two fobs. CLICK
When you have them you can take all the parts from your old fob and put them in the new one. Do not forget the little chip and do not lose it. Instruction are here. CLICK

The smart move would be to buy a spare one first from NeedsWings in case you mess up the old one

Commander1 03-08-2018 10:42 AM

Thanks for the info. I`ll try Needswings and hopefully get a key!

Chempro 07-18-2019 08:50 AM

Not sure if anyone is following this thread but replacement keys are going to be a big problem!
I have just been quoted by Rob:roll eyes:$799.95.
I am going to try another idea - I have a old key from another car, just got an eBay key and cut it to match my original key.
Before you say it won't work - I know the car cuts out after 3 seconds ( the chip )
Just ordered a virgin chip from Auto Moto Kris (ID46) will update if it programs as stated on there with the dealer replacements .
If it does not work I will stick with one key and predict a lot of parked Crossfires everywhere.