U.K. Serving all countries of the United Kingdom.

spare key

  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-06-2017, 06:39 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: the midlands uk
Age: 57
Posts: 31
Default spare key

when i got my crossfire, i only got one key with it, went to the chrysler dealer to see if i could get one, parts man said he would try, but could not get one, tried needswings, and they got me one, it arrived this week, and works fine, expensive, but worth it for me, whenever i have just one key for a vehicle, i seem to either break it or lose it, so nice having two now.
i had to send a scan of my v5 and licence, and also the mileage of my car, not sure why that is needed, unless the mileage is somehow stored within the key.
anyway another thumbs up for rob at needswings
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-08-2017, 07:47 PM
Forum Regular
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: This is Sparta!
Posts: 362
Default Re: spare key

I also got a spare key from Rob, great turnaround time. Still need to go try it out though. I don't think the mileage is coded to the key though, just something they ask for.
 
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01-09-2017, 12:33 PM
KDW4Him's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Alma, MI
Posts: 1,153
Default Re: spare key

Originally Posted by madleemark View Post
license, and also the mileage of my car, not sure why that is needed,

Just a level of security check to make sure you are the owner
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01-09-2017, 12:38 PM
NeedsWings's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,356
Default Re: spare key

chrysler says they ask for the mileage to expect how worn out the tumblers will be but I don't see that being a factor. they ask anyways though so we give them the mileage so it doesn't delay the order.


how much did your local dealership quote you for the same key?
 
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 01-12-2017, 02:55 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: the midlands uk
Age: 57
Posts: 31
Default Re: spare key

the dealer said the key would be 245, then 65 to program it to the car, but he could not get one, there computer said they were on back order or some such, chrysler are not selling cars in the uk now, only the jeep brand i believe, quite sad realy,
thanks again rob for getting me a key, i thought it got to me quickly to
 
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 04-28-2017, 01:11 PM
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Somerset, England
Age: 69
Posts: 2
Default Re: spare key

Madleemark/Rob, I am also having problems getting a spare key from a Chrysler/Jeep dealer here in the UK. I am considering getting a spare from Needswings, however what does the programming of the key entail ? Cheers, Harry.
 
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 04-28-2017, 04:11 PM
onehundred80's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Caledon, Ontario
Age: 79
Posts: 21,323
Default Re: spare key

Originally Posted by Harry CROWTHER View Post
Madleemark/Rob, I am also having problems getting a spare key from a Chrysler/Jeep dealer here in the UK. I am considering getting a spare from Needswings, however what does the programming of the key entail ? Cheers, Harry.
Easy peasy, basically you put the key in the ignition and press a button. The programming cost from the dealer is a real rip off.
I forget the actual process but a five year old could read the instructions on the forum or the Owners Manual and do it.
Click on the Index .... In my signature and you'll find the List of Resettable Features instructions under the miscellaneous heading. Or go to the bottom of post #10 in this thread.
 

Last edited by onehundred80; 04-29-2017 at 08:35 AM.
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 04-28-2017, 04:50 PM
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Cleveland,Tn.
Age: 81
Posts: 3
Default Re: spare key

Originally Posted by madleemark View Post
when i got my crossfire, i only got one key with it, went to the chrysler dealer to see if i could get one, parts man said he would try, but could not get one, tried needswings, and they got me one, it arrived this week, and works fine, expensive, but worth it for me, whenever i have just one key for a vehicle, i seem to either break it or lose it, so nice having two now.
i had to send a scan of my v5 and licence, and also the mileage of my car, not sure why that is needed, unless the mileage is somehow stored within the key.
anyway another thumbs up for rob at needswings
How much did it cost?
 
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 04-28-2017, 04:51 PM
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Cleveland,Tn.
Age: 81
Posts: 3
Default Re: spare key

How much did the key cost from needswing?
 
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 04-28-2017, 11:39 PM
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Texas
Posts: 64
Default Re: spare key

NeedsWings Performance Products. Ignition XF
U.S. key was $159.95, shipping extra, no tax for me. I doubt you will find a new OEM one perfectly cut/programmed to your car for less money (at least that's also the best I spotted after people here recommended it.)

My used Crossfire I just bought in February also only had one key.

Funny thing, the bag it was in, was from a Mercedes facility, 15050 Frye Rd, Fort Worth, TX, about an hour from my house. They shipped it to Michigan to NeedsWings, who shipped it back to me !

Here's the programming instructions that came with it. As it comes to you, it will start the car, but you need to program it to lock and unlock the doors.

1. Insert the key into the ignition switch.
2. Press either the lock or unlock button momentarily twice. Turn the key in the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position within 30 seconds.


That was it, and it works fine.
 
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 04-29-2017, 08:33 AM
onehundred80's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Caledon, Ontario
Age: 79
Posts: 21,323
Default Re: spare key

Originally Posted by garjoe05 View Post
NeedsWings Performance Products. Ignition XF
U.S. key was $159.95, shipping extra, no tax for me. I doubt you will find a new OEM one perfectly cut/programmed to your car for less money (at least that's also the best I spotted after people here recommended it.)

My used Crossfire I just bought in February also only had one key.

Funny thing, the bag it was in, was from a Mercedes facility, 15050 Frye Rd, Fort Worth, TX, about an hour from my house. They shipped it to Michigan to NeedsWings, who shipped it back to me !

Here's the programming instructions that came with it. As it comes to you, it will start the car, but you need to program it to lock and unlock the doors.

1. Insert the key into the ignition switch.
2. Press either the lock or unlock button momentarily twice. Turn the key in the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position within 30 seconds.


That was it, and it works fine.
Amazing that the stealerships want $100 or so to configure the key to your car, can we say that they rob customers?
 
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 04-30-2017, 11:20 AM
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Texas
Posts: 64
Default Re: spare key

Someone earlier asked why Chrysler/NeedsWings wants to know the mileage on the car. Someone also posted all the TSBs on these forums (Technical Service Bulletins).
One of them (06-029-03 Subject: Replacement Keys) has steps for the Technician to order replacement keys.
This is something they access via their DealerCONNECT system, to process the order with the "Key Production Facility".
In Step 7, just after they enter the VIN, it says "Type the mileage".

So it's needed by their system in order to generate the key order. It doesn't say what they do with the mileage, in relation to generating a new key though.
 
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 04-30-2017, 03:24 PM
ala_xfire's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lineville, AL
Age: 74
Posts: 11,413
Default Re: spare key

Rob stated previously :

chrysler says they ask for the mileage to expect how worn out the tumblers will be but I don't see that being a factor. they ask anyways though so we give them the mileage so it doesn't delay the order.
 
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 06-09-2017, 10:54 AM
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Somerset, England
Age: 69
Posts: 2
Default Re: spare key

After waiting FOUR months with a Dodge/Jeep dealership, here in the South West of the UK, we finally gave up & bought a spare key from Rob at Needswings. Only 10 days later the new key arrived ! Brilliant service, thanks Rob. Harry & Pat Crowther.
 
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 06-09-2017, 04:02 PM
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Santa Rosa
Age: 63
Posts: 215
Default Re: spare key

Originally Posted by Harry CROWTHER View Post
After waiting FOUR months with a Dodge/Jeep dealership, here in the South West of the UK, we finally gave up & bought a spare key from Rob at Needswings. Only 10 days later the new key arrived ! Brilliant service, thanks Rob. Harry & Pat Crowther.
I concur , great service from Needswings
 
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 03-06-2018, 08:58 AM
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Isle of Wght
Age: 77
Posts: 2
Default Re: spare key

Having also recently bought a Crossfire (2004 model) with only one key I am worried that this key will stop working as the fob is breaking up and I have it taped up. Suggestion that it might be a M-B SLK key from the phase one car. Any thoughts or help?
 
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 03-06-2018, 09:08 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Knoxville
Age: 57
Posts: 1,465
Default Re: spare key

Originally Posted by Commander1 View Post
Having also recently bought a Crossfire (2004 model) with only one key I am worried that this key will stop working as the fob is breaking up and I have it taped up. Suggestion that it might be a M-B SLK key from the phase one car. Any thoughts or help?
Theres a chip in our cases ,that is specific to the Vin. of the car. You can change the case if , you change the chip an board, to the new case. Best an easier ( IMO) to contact Needswings.com an get an extra. Just in case the washer gets it!
 
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 03-06-2018, 11:33 AM
onehundred80's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Caledon, Ontario
Age: 79
Posts: 21,323
Default Re: spare key

Originally Posted by Commander1 View Post
Having also recently bought a Crossfire (2004 model) with only one key I am worried that this key will stop working as the fob is breaking up and I have it taped up. Suggestion that it might be a M-B SLK key from the phase one car. Any thoughts or help?
You can buy a blank fob on eBay, some come for $10 for two fobs. CLICK
When you have them you can take all the parts from your old fob and put them in the new one. Do not forget the little chip and do not lose it. Instruction are here. CLICK

The smart move would be to buy a spare one first from NeedsWings in case you mess up the old one
 

Last edited by onehundred80; 03-06-2018 at 11:35 AM.
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 03-08-2018, 10:42 AM
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Isle of Wght
Age: 77
Posts: 2
Thumbs up Re: spare key

Thanks for the info. I`ll try Needswings and hopefully get a key!
 

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.