Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

KYB Shocks

Old 02-01-2010, 02:54 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KYB Shocks

What's up gang!
Do the KYB shocks have bump stops installed? The shocks are covered and I can't tell. I have read the posts regarding lowering the xfire and the recommendation to cut the original bumpstop and install. Don't want to mess anything up looking for something that may not be there. Thanks in advance for your inputs!
James

Old 02-02-2010, 12:53 AM
Forum Regular
Old 02-02-2010, 02:01 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: KYB Shocks

Thanks for the info! Sometimes I feel like a stepchild when trying to get some info! I appreciate your time!

James
Originally Posted by newCrossfire

Old 02-02-2010, 09:48 PM
Forum Regular

no problem im actually in the same boat, i just ordered these shocks over the weekened.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:43 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jediracer
Thanks for the info! Sometimes I feel like a stepchild when trying to get some info! I appreciate your time!

James
James, you going to lower that thing so you can try to keep up with me at the Dragon?? LOL

Old 02-03-2010, 09:27 AM
Forum Regular
Wink Re: KYB Shocks

Hi John!
already done!!! just trying to get the ride quality right. I am truly looking forward to getting dragonized once again! Who knows..................I may have to give you a head start!! Yikes!!!!
Any pointers or tips you want to offer in regards to suspensions?

Old 02-04-2010, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by jediracer
Hi John!
already done!!! just trying to get the ride quality right. I am truly looking forward to getting dragonized once again! Who knows..................I may have to give you a head start!! Yikes!!!!
Any pointers or tips you want to offer in regards to suspensions?
No pointers here, looks like you are already well ahead of me in that department. I started with adding a little tire (275/30-20s) and would like to lower it, but with the large wheels, I am afraid it will rub. I am def going to go with KYB shocks, after reading Lantana's review of them and seeing the price on ebay, I believe this will be a very nice upgrade over OEM. Let me know how it turns out. Not sure if I can make the Dragon this Spring, are you going?

Old 07-31-2013, 04:18 PM

Can some one tell the K&B item number for the front and rear shocks, and if someone has mount them yet, how they worked? Thanks...

Old 08-08-2013, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
No pointers here, looks like you are already well ahead of me in that department. I started with adding a little tire (275/30-20s) and would like to lower it, but with the large wheels, I am afraid it will rub. I am def going to go with KYB shocks, after reading Lantana's review of them and seeing the price on ebay, I believe this will be a very nice upgrade over OEM. Let me know how it turns out. Not sure if I can make the Dragon this Spring, are you going?
Please can you tell how everithing whent with the KYB',s like to know if they are the KG- 4732 and 4731, and how they work on corners, please advise.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:04 PM

Some say that the KYB's KG-4731 & 4732 are longer the factory shocks. Please advise cause I have to change all of them. Thanks!

Old 08-08-2013, 07:49 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Javier Busquets
Some say that the KYB's KG-4731 & 4732 are longer the factory shocks. Please advise cause I have to change all of them. Thanks!
I haven't had any problems with mine. I believe these would be better for a lowered car. The SLK 320 was designed with 16" rims versus out 18/19 set up. These are a lot firmer than stock at stock height. I believe, I got my crossfire with 86K and replaced them at 96K almost 6 months ago.

I did the install myself in a little under 3hrs since I had access to a lift. rockauto sells these cheap I got a set shipped to Guam for $275.

HYB 4731 and 4732 are the ones you want. I remember lining them up and they were a margin taller I believe.

Last edited by Selbyl; 08-08-2013 at 07:52 PM. Reason: add part number
Old 08-09-2013, 08:13 AM

Please can you tell how everithing whent with the KYB',s like to know if they are the KG- 4732 and 4731, and how they work on corners, please advise.
Sorry, that was 3.5 years ago and I have a different XF with a completely different suspension, I never tried the KYBs...

Old 08-09-2013, 12:03 PM

Thanks for your time.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:09 PM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check out the review thread I just posted.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:27 PM
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

Ok guys,

Here's the offer for a set of these KYB shocks mentioned in this thread. I ordered these shocks last year and decided to go with the adjustables. These are brand new in the box, banded and ready for installation on your Crossfire. I'm looking for $220 shipped for all four shocks.

PM me if your interested, the price is firm....

Dennis
DTMenace

Old 11-04-2013, 12:29 AM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is a link to some shock options including the KYB for Crossfire..... not Mercades.
Bilstein - KYB - Rancho - Monroe - Edelbrock Automotive Truck Shocks and Struts - Shockwarehouse.com

Shock warehouse is on back order for these shocks. Call before you give them your card#.

Last edited by mobilefitt; 01-07-2014 at 02:25 PM.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:58 PM
Forum Regular

just did kyb install, car is stiff. hear some popping when turning and driving slow. also rubbing up front when turning at high speeds.

I just read the bushing tips and wish I had seen them sooner.

KYB instalation tips:

Do not cut the band holding the shock compressed until you are ready to install them! They have a lot more nitrogen pressure than the stock shock. the good news is that they extend very slowly. Have the old shock out and the hardware ready to go on before cutting the shipping band. As soon as you cut the band throw on the washer and then the rubber bushing, quickly postision the shock and insert the lower bolt, then hold the shock steady and watch it go up while aiming the top stud through the hole in the fender well. Failing to do et them in right makes it very hard to compress and do it again. In the rear you have to have the car on jack stands and remove three bolts, upright, sway bar and shock bolts with a floor jack underneath. then use the floor jack to let the lower control arm down slowly. Put in the shock and then jack the control arm back up while inserting bolts as they line up.

About the rubber bushings:

KYB uses a thicker rubber than stock. If you have a lowered car, I would suggest that you pull the rubber off of the old shock and use that on the KYB, then to make up for the difference in thickness, use the thicker KYB rubber on top so that you can tighten them down without bottoming out on the threads.

any more tips?

Old 05-23-2014, 03:12 PM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do a search of my posts on the subject. It's a bit late now but I posted on how to install the bushings right for a car not lowered and warned the rears are a ***** to compress and remove once installed.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:15 PM
Forum Regular

So I obviously searched and thats how i found this post.

My car is lowered. Why isn't there a definitive DIY for Eibiach KYB install..... All in one place.

I would be glad to put it all together for the forum but it's all over the place here.

Do I shave bumpstops on KYB? fronts, rears, both?

Stock bushing in the mix somewhere...... fronts.... rears....